Creative Annihilator Pro Heatsink/Fan

Renegade87

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
So,

I got this Creative GeForce DDR card with a very noisy fan on it thats driving me nuts. This is one of the early versions of the Annihilator Pro, so I'm sure they replaced this crappy HS/F with a better unit when production incerased.

It's the VPPV AP4512MX-G90 piece of [-peep-]. About 1/4 " thick, 9 blades, green label.

The thing was so loud, I removed it. Luckily, I have a Card Cooler (Bracket type with 2 80mm Sunnon's) pointed right at the video card.

Along with 2 other 80mm Sunnon's blowing out the rear of my Antec KS-188 full tower I also have a 92mm Sunnon mounted in a blowhole and another 80mm Sunnon in front for intake(need more, but that's for another day).

I just turned the pc on about 10 minutes ago, and the Annihilator's heatsink is now warm to the touch (right over the GPU, but not on the HS fins), but not so hot as to burn my finger.

MBM is reporting 29c for my CPU (side panel off), just to give you an idea of internal temps. It's about 80 degrees F here (MA, USA) today

Will my Creative card be ok with the present setup ? Or, am I going to need to look at replacing the fan, or removing the Heatsink also in favor of a Blue Orb or something similar (which I do not want to do) ?

"This was no boating accident"

G

You certainly don't want to keep using it without adequate cooling as you could well fry it.
I took one look at the stock heatsink and decided it wasn't up to the job though I didn't want to spend much on replacing it......
I tore the fan off an old pentium heatsink (antique) and screwed that to the heatsink in place of the standard fan and it seemed to do the trick.
The best bit is that now I am selling the card I have re-fitted the standard fan and you would never know it had been any other way! (oh and of course it was a free mod)
Naturally if you want to really push the limits of the card you will require something more substantial but if not you could do a lot worse than employing an old cpu cooler in this way.

Kev

p.s. I had to connect the fan to a spare mobo fan header due to the different connection on the vid card.

Renegade87

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Thanks kevster,

I found an old 486 fan from an upgrade an got some appropriate screws from Home Depot and threw that on it. Should be fine till I brake down in 6 months or so and get a GeForce3.

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Hi. I'm from Mass too, Newton specifically.
Anyways, as to your CPU temp of 29C, I'm pretty sure you meant that was your mobo temp. It's pretty much impossible with standard air cooling to get a CPU that cold. But it makes perfect sense on a hot day.
Doesn't creative come with probe software that tells you the temp of your GPU? AS long as it's under 60C you should be fine with what you have now.

- Tempus fugit donec vestrum relictus tripudium. Autem amor praeterea magis pretium.

G

my geforce DDR fan stopped working a week ago so i got a 486 HSF from radio shack but theres no way to keep it atached to the GPU, so, could i a add a tiny drop of crazy glue to hold it in place? or will the crazy glue mess up the card? when i got it i thought that the thermal compound would harden and hold it there but i was wrong.

Renegade87

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Tempus,

Actually I did mean 29c for the cpu temp. This is what MBM 5.07 is reporting. The day I posted this thread, it was a cool day here in Mass. in the 65-70F range. I was also running the pc with the side of the case open. I do have significant air cooling in the case with two 80mm Sunnon's above the P/S, a 92mm "Blowhole", another 80mm intake, and a dual 80mm card cooler aimed right at the GeForce. Today it's about 75F here and I have MBM reporting 30-32c. As far as a Creative software temp probe goes, I'm running the NVidia 12.90 Beta Detonator drivers, so I wouldn't be able to see that anyway. I did find an old 486 fan that I managed to throw on there which should keep it cool enough in combination with the dual 80mm card cooler.

G

actually nevermind my geforce 2 pro arrived in the mail today ;)