How to "uninstall the Windows 2000 Resource Kit" ? ? ?

On the windows xp support page it says:

.. The Explorer.exe process may unexpectedly quit when you try to search for
a file in Windows XP or in Windows Server 2003
Discusses a problem that may occur after the Windows 2000 Resource Kit is
installed in Windows XP or in Windows Server 2003. To work around this
problem, uninstall the Windows 2000 Resource Kit.

That's my problem.

but it doesn't say how to do the uninistall, either there or on the linked
page.

where/what are the directions? ? ?

Thank you.

Gene Olson
2 answers Last reply
More about uninstall windows 2000 resource

    Add or Remove Programs.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:egiSe9GmFHA.1464@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    mettlewk <gro@charter.net> hunted and pecked:

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Add or Remove Programs.
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    There is nothing in ADD or Remove programs that references the package.

    however,

    I got an email response from MS to a page that says windows NT and doesn 't
    list xp in the APPLIES TO line

    Text exchage follows.
    _______________
    Dear MS support,

    Thanks for the reply.

    The page you referenced does not say that the procedure applies to windows
    xp in the bottom "APPLIES TO" line. I had seen it but didn't want to go
    mucking in the registry if it wasn't the right one.
    A link to the removal page from the notice listed on the xp support page
    would be good and also adding the list of OS's involved in the APPLIES TO
    line of the page you referenced would be nice. Please forward those requests
    to the webmaster or whomever is in charge of maintaining those pages.

    Gene

    At 02:05 AM 8/4/2005 -0700, you wrote:
    Hello Gene,

    Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Customer Service.

    I understand that you want to remove Windows 2000 Resource Kit. I realize
    the importance of your issue.

    As a Customer Service Representative, I can assist you with the support
    options available with your Microsoft product. However, I have taken the time
    to look through our self help resources and found an article that may assist
    you. This article describes how you can manually uninstall the windows NT or
    2000 Resource Kit. If you wish to do so, please visit the link given below.

    Article Title: How to Manually Uninstall the NT 4.0 Resource Kit
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;172597

    Gene, I hope the above information is helpful. If you have further
    questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

    Thank you for using Microsoft products and services.

    Vivek
    Microsoft Online Customer Service Representative

    If you have any feedback about your Online Customer Service experience
    please email my manager, Prasanna Thiagarajan at managers@microsoft.com
    <mailto:managers@microsoft.com>

    ---------
    Date: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 10:52 AM
    Subject: uninstall? no directions on website

    ---
    CONTACT INFORMATION
    First Name: Gene
    Last Name: Olson
    ---
    CUSTOMER PROVIDED SYSTEM PROPERTIES
    O/S: xp service pac 2
    Br: firefox
    Country/Region: United States
    ---
    PRODUCT
    Windows XP Home Edition
    ---
    SYSTEM PROPERTIES
    Ref URL: http://www.microsoft.com/
    O/S: windows nt 5.1
    O/S Lang: en-us
    Br: msie 6.0
    Br lang: en-us
    ---
    QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS
    Message: On the XP service support page it says:

    The Explorer.exe process may unexpectedly quit when you try to search for a
    file in Windows XP or in Windows Server 2003
    Discusses a problem that may occur after the Windows 2000 Resource Kit is
    installed in Windows XP or in Windows Server 2003. To work around this
    problem, uninstall the Windows 2000 Resource Kit.

    that is my problem, but
    There are no directions on the page re: how one should do this.
    a search of the website is not enlightening.

    How does one uninstall that particular resource kit, and could you put that
    info on the page. I am sure there are others with the same question.

    Thanks.

    Gene Olson

Support Windows 2000 Windows XP