TECH/WANTED: CRT for Wells Gardner U2k series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello All!

I have a Blitz '99 which I've determined conclusivly that the CRT has
gone bad. It has the original Wells Gardner Medium Resolution montior,
specific model U2550.

Does anyone know of a compatable CRT for this model? I am presuming
that no old TV tubes or anything standard res would be compatable since
this is an EGA monitor. Correct me if I'm wrong. Or does someone have
a known good one for sale?

Thanks!
-Ryan

Thanks! I think I'll first look at the tube number and
cross-reference. I'm looking to keep the game running in med res mode
if at all possible. Although I may consider installing a std monitor
as a temporary fix.

As far as swapping the yoke out.... That would be something I havn't
done before and as such I'm slightly apprihensive about it. If there's
someone who knows for sure if it would work, then I'll give it a try.

Alright, I'll take a stab here. I think you can use just about any tube
that is the same size if you don't mind switching the yoke. I used a
tube from a med res monitor with a std. res chassis and didn't change a
thing. I didn't know it was a med res tube until after the fact. I'm
pretty sure the only thing that makes it med res is the yoke and
chassis, not the tube. If the chassis is switchable to display med res.
or std. res on the same tube, seems to me that it implies that the tube
is the same.

Having said that, I'm sure the experts here will point out if I'm wrong
or not and give a valid explanation. The other thing you can do is take
the tube number off the tube and see what it crosses to using the
reference chart that is posted on ionpool.net (I think)

Flame away.

pat D.

MercCat wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> I have a Blitz '99 which I've determined conclusivly that the CRT has
> gone bad. It has the original Wells Gardner Medium Resolution montior,
> specific model U2550.
>
> Does anyone know of a compatable CRT for this model? I am presuming
> that no old TV tubes or anything standard res would be compatable since
> this is an EGA monitor. Correct me if I'm wrong. Or does someone have
> a known good one for sale?
>
> Thanks!
> -Ryan

blitz will work with a standard res monitor (just flip the dip switch)...
won't look as nice though...

"MercCat" <marilyn_ryan@netzero.com> wrote in message
> Hello All!
>
> I have a Blitz '99 which I've determined conclusivly that the CRT has
> gone bad. It has the original Wells Gardner Medium Resolution montior,
> specific model U2550.
>
> Does anyone know of a compatable CRT for this model? I am presuming
> that no old TV tubes or anything standard res would be compatable since
> this is an EGA monitor. Correct me if I'm wrong. Or does someone have
> a known good one for sale?
>
> Thanks!
> -Ryan

I was in the process of doing something similar. After dropping my WG
13K4800, I bought a new CRT from Video Display Corporation. The CRT
didn't come with a yoke and so I had to transfer from the old CRT to
the new. As it was explained to me, I just needed to push the yoke
around until the image was centered, then I needed to put the rubber
wedges underneath to keep it stable and finally I needed to tighten
down the collar. While doing so, I didn't realize that I had so little
wiggle room and as a result, the yoke touched ground killing my
flyback.

So, good luck but be very careful.

Well, that dosen't sound too bad. I'll probably wear gloves just to be
on the paranoid side. Still though, would a STD tube work with a MED
res chassis/yoke?

I can see how in Pat's case, making a MED tube run in STD mode wouldn't
have any problems as the tubes grid of phosporus "targets" or
resolution is higher and would simply display the STD information on
the MED targets. But going the other way (the monitor itself is not
switchable, the game is) I don't know. Or are all tubes set up the
same way and it's just the yoke/chassis that matters?