please help, diablo/video question

dinkster9

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
OK EVERYONE, please help me out if you can. I figure a few of the millions of people who play diablo 2 exp must read these forms :)~

First off, computer stats:

Asus K7V motherboard w/onboard sound
Athlon 700 CPU
2 x 256 megs of brand new micron pc-133 cas2 7ns ram
brand new MSI MS-StarForce 831 (Nvidia Geforce2 Pro 64m DDR)
16x dvd/40x cdrom from phillips (ultra dma 33)
20gig maxtor hard drive 7200rpm,2meg buff, ultra dma 66)
19" mitsubishi 900u flat screen monitor.

Now for the question??? Why on earth can't i get better fps while playing diablo 2, a stupid game with only 800x-600x max resolution? I get maybe 75fps in town when there is no one around and no monsters, but in the heat of battle it goes down to sometimes 10-14fps in like 16 bit color. now give me a break, my video card can play quake 3 arena in 32 bit color at 1152x864 and the game still runs too fast.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME. What do i do, are there programs out their that fix this problem, how do i "make" my video card have higher fps while playing diablo.

Thanks for your help
~Dink9

another_Moose

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
My guess would be just normal lag from B.net not the video card if it is working well elsewhere. Try an offline char to test this and see if it is bnet or your comp. I would imagine that the fps would be higher as you are not sending data back and forth over the web in single player. As painfull as it may be, you may need to use the origional screen size instead of the boosted 800x600 in some areas like diablo's lair where the background has the moving flame effects which drags down the fps with more of the screen being shown no matter what the connection is like.

Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
how are you testing your fps in Diablo?? Dumb question I know, but I'd like to see what I get with my gig athlon and 32 DDR Radeon at 800x600 32bit.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."

dinkster9

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
actually its faily easy:

while in a game, hit enter for the chat window and type in "fps" it will display some info about your ram/fps/ping and then just hit fps again if you want it to go away.

Please let me know if you have better results, mine are attrocious and i want to fix the problem somehow!