CDBOOT: MEMORY OVERFLOW ERROR

I am trying to re-install Win XP Pro on my home computer. The hard drive
crashed because of software difficulties and I was unable to restore. I wiped
the hard drive, then put the Windows CD in the drive and rebooted the
computer after making sure I changed the boot sequence in the CMOS so that it
would boot from CD. When it gets to where it should start booting from the
CD, I get the following messages:

Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM:
1. No Emulation System Type-(00)
CDBOOT: Memory Overflow Error

Invalid system Disk

Now I know this disk works just fine as I have just recently used it. So
what is going on here? This error is not on the microsoft website anywhere
that concerns installation of the program.
2 answers Last reply
More about cdboot memory overflow error

    If you have both a CD drive & a DVD drive, make sure you are using the 1st physical device (according to physical hookup).
    Or if you do have both, then try booting with CD in other drive

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    dan8552 wrote:
    > I am trying to re-install Win XP Pro on my home computer. The hard
    > drive crashed because of software difficulties and I was unable to
    > restore. I wiped the hard drive, then put the Windows CD in the drive
    > and rebooted the computer after making sure I changed the boot
    > sequence in the CMOS so that it would boot from CD. When it gets to
    > where it should start booting from the CD, I get the following
    > messages:
    >
    > Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM:
    > 1. No Emulation System Type-(00)
    > CDBOOT: Memory Overflow Error
    >
    > Invalid system Disk
    >
    > Now I know this disk works just fine as I have just recently used it.
    > So what is going on here? This error is not on the microsoft website
    > anywhere that concerns installation of the program.

    Anonymous,

    "Maurice N" is right about first physical device but since you have a crashed HDD as you told earlier then you might have a problem on HDD.

    Do you know what MBR means??? [Master Boot Record]
    make sure your hard drive has one, and not a broken MBR as well as BOOT SECTOR.

    I think you have a Harddrive problem, try replacing it as a test then well see what happens next.

    Cyberwolf PH

CD-Rom Windows XP