I have windows xp with sp2 just recently for no apparent reason just started
locking up. it only does it for about a minute then seems to be okay on its
own, then a few minutes later it will do it again then this time it will not
unlock and i have to reboot. I have had problems installing programs i dont
want to format, and I've run up to date anti virus programs several times i
cant think of what else to do. Any help would be greatly apprieciated. thanks

Christian

by the way it does this most often when I walk away for sometime. when i come
back i find it locked up.

"jarhead2005" wrote:

> I have windows xp with sp2 just recently for no apparent reason just started
> locking up. it only does it for about a minute then seems to be okay on its
> own, then a few minutes later it will do it again then this time it will not
> unlock and i have to reboot. I have had problems installing programs i dont
> want to format, and I've run up to date anti virus programs several times i
> cant think of what else to do. Any help would be greatly apprieciated. thanks
>
> Christian

Christian,
3 or 4 things for you to keep an eye on.
a) Determine what this computer has for automatic startup programs.
You may go to www.dougknox.com and download Doug's Startup tracker.
That would help you get a complete list of startups.

Also, Here are 2 tools from SysInternals that may help you get an insight on what's running.
Autoruns (checks & shows what's set to auto-load at Windows startup)
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml

Process Explorer http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

b) Keep track of what programs you are running when this situation occurs.

c) Be certain your pc is clean of any malware / crudware.
See The Parasite Fight Quick Fix Protocol at <http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm>

d) Have you recently added programs or utilities? Any "free" programs from the 'net or a friend?
Try to recall any changes made before this problem showed up.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

jarhead2005 wrote:
> I have windows xp with sp2 just recently for no apparent reason just
> started locking up. it only does it for about a minute then seems to
> be okay on its own, then a few minutes later it will do it again then
> this time it will not unlock and i have to reboot. I have had
> problems installing programs i dont want to format, and I've run up
> to date anti virus programs several times i cant think of what else
> to do. Any help would be greatly apprieciated. thanks
>
> Christian

Thanks for the tips but i cant think of anything I have done lately that was
at all significant I havent even been using it a lot lately because i've been
so busy. I will look into the start up tracker and see if something is
running there. Thanks. Christian

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> Christian,
> 3 or 4 things for you to keep an eye on.
> a) Determine what this computer has for automatic startup programs.
> You may go to www.dougknox.com and download Doug's Startup tracker.
> That would help you get a complete list of startups.
>
> Also, Here are 2 tools from SysInternals that may help you get an insight on what's running.
> Autoruns (checks & shows what's set to auto-load at Windows startup)
> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml
>
> Process Explorer http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml
>

> b) Keep track of what programs you are running when this situation occurs.
>
> c) Be certain your pc is clean of any malware / crudware.
> See The Parasite Fight Quick Fix Protocol at <http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm>
>
> d) Have you recently added programs or utilities? Any "free" programs from the 'net or a friend?
> Try to recall any changes made before this problem showed up.
>
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>

> jarhead2005 wrote:
> > I have windows xp with sp2 just recently for no apparent reason just
> > started locking up. it only does it for about a minute then seems to
> > be okay on its own, then a few minutes later it will do it again then
> > this time it will not unlock and i have to reboot. I have had
> > problems installing programs i dont want to format, and I've run up
> > to date anti virus programs several times i cant think of what else
> > to do. Any help would be greatly apprieciated. thanks
> >
> > Christian

Ahh. Do you have / use a screensaver or have you set some power saving option in Control Panel's Power Options. Like turning off the hard disk after xxx amount of idle time?

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

jarhead2005 wrote:
> by the way it does this most often when I walk away for sometime.
> when i come back i find it locked up.

no just the screensaver xp comes with i dont know of any power changes that i
have made?

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> Ahh. Do you have / use a screensaver or have you set some power saving option in Control Panel's Power Options. Like turning off the hard disk after xxx amount of idle time?
>
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>
> jarhead2005 wrote:
> > by the way it does this most often when I walk away for sometime.
> > when i come back i find it locked up.

Turn off the screensaver & see if it makes a difference. Your monitor does not need or benefit from it.
And if a seeming "freeze" occurs, try moving the mouse or tapping the space bar --- see if it awakens.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

jarhead2005 wrote:
> no just the screensaver xp comes with i dont know of any power
> changes that i have made?

i'll try it thanks