chkdsk

August 3, 2005 8:45:01 PM

Is chkdsk like scan disk used to be? I'm having a couple of issues and was
thinking I sould try to run the chkdsk. My understanding is that I go to the
start menu, then run and then type in chkdsk/f to run and fix any errors. It
is also my understanding that I may have to restart the computer and set it
to run when it restarts.

Am I understanding the chkdsk correctly? Even if it doens't fix my problem,
it can't hurt to run, right?

Thanks,
Keith

More about : chkdsk

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 11:01:25 PM

Yes, CHKDSK is XP's version of scandisk. (Technically, it's also used in all NT & up Windows).

In most all cases it won't hurt. What type of problem are you having?

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Keithk42 wrote:
> Is chkdsk like scan disk used to be? I'm having a couple of issues
> and was thinking I sould try to run the chkdsk. My understanding is
> that I go to the start menu, then run and then type in chkdsk/f to
> run and fix any errors. It is also my understanding that I may have
> to restart the computer and set it to run when it restarts.
>
> Am I understanding the chkdsk correctly? Even if it doens't fix my
> problem, it can't hurt to run, right?
>
> Thanks,
> Keith
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 11:01:26 PM

I have software for my camera that used to work fine, but now whenever I try
to start it, it opens almost all the way up then says it encountered a
problem and asks if I want to send the error report to Microsoft. I've tried
reinstalling the program and am really at my wits end with it.

Keith

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> Yes, CHKDSK is XP's version of scandisk. (Technically, it's also used in all NT & up Windows).
>
> In most all cases it won't hurt. What type of problem are you having?
>
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>

> Keithk42 wrote:
> > Is chkdsk like scan disk used to be? I'm having a couple of issues
> > and was thinking I sould try to run the chkdsk. My understanding is
> > that I go to the start menu, then run and then type in chkdsk/f to
> > run and fix any errors. It is also my understanding that I may have
> > to restart the computer and set it to run when it restarts.
> >
> > Am I understanding the chkdsk correctly? Even if it doens't fix my
> > problem, it can't hurt to run, right?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Keith

August 3, 2005 11:25:10 PM

Keith,

You should say what the software is & its maker & the camera also. Someone else here could well help you on that.

CHKDSK will not help with this problem. You need to do some digging to find out why the software has abnormal terminations.

Take a look at the system's Event Log:
Select Start button/ select Run , then type in

eventvwr.msc<enter>
-- or Go to Control Panel / Performance and Maintenance/Administrative Tools >Event Viewer.

Review the sections and look for Errors or Warnings that match the time the event occurred. Double click---the information "may" give a clue.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Keithk42 wrote:
> I have software for my camera that used to work fine, but now
> whenever I try to start it, it opens almost all the way up then says
> it encountered a problem and asks if I want to send the error report
> to Microsoft. I've tried reinstalling the program and am really at
> my wits end with it.
>
> Keith
>
> "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
>
>> Yes, CHKDSK is XP's version of scandisk. (Technically, it's also
>> used in all NT & up Windows).
>>
>> In most all cases it won't hurt. What type of problem are you having?
>>
>> --
>> Maurice N
>> MVP Windows - Shell / User
>> -----
>>

>> Keithk42 wrote:
>>> Is chkdsk like scan disk used to be? I'm having a couple of issues
>>> and was thinking I sould try to run the chkdsk. My understanding is
>>> that I go to the start menu, then run and then type in chkdsk/f to
>>> run and fix any errors. It is also my understanding that I may have
>>> to restart the computer and set it to run when it restarts.
>>>
>>> Am I understanding the chkdsk correctly? Even if it doens't fix my
>>> problem, it can't hurt to run, right?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Keith
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 11:25:11 PM

Sorry. The softare is Dimage Viewer, version 2.37 which came with my Konica
minolta dimage z5 camera.

The message in the event viewer is

Faulting application dimageviewer.exe, version 2.3.7.0, faulting module
dimageviewer.exe, version 2.3.7.0, fault address 0x0004a61a.

The more information said
Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 1000
Source: Application Error
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: ER_USERCRASH_LOG
Message: Faulting application %1, version %2, faulting module %3, version
%4, fault address 0x%5.

Explanation
The indicated program stopped unexpectedly. The message contains details on
which program and module stopped. A matching event with Event ID 1001 might
also appear in the event log. This matching event displays information about
the specific error that occurred.

User Action
If an error report was generated for this error, you might be able to obtain