PC wont boot

August 4, 2005 3:50:17 AM

Hi

I defragmented my NTFS... 80gb ATA...C:/drive with (XP Home) on it.
Then defragged my NTFS...250gb PCI.SATA...F:/drive...(Storage.)

After that I then used the error checking tool on the (Storage) HDD,
this then needs to re-boot the system to start the process, but
unfortunately
I got a blue screen (Stop: 0X00000024) I tried last known good/
booting from CD,opened PC and re-seated PCI card and checked
cables, but still can't get the pc to boot, it wont even go into safe mode.

I haven't recently installed drivers either. I googled and one option was to
find out which drive was causing the problem and install that in a Fat 32
system
where I can then try a fix there, but before going down that road I've
decided
to post here and hope someone may have fix or better option than this.
I really don't want to reformat...Arghh!!

TIA

--
Regards
p.mc

More about : wont boot

Anonymous
August 4, 2005 3:50:18 AM

Stop 0x00000024 or NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

The Stop 0x24 message indicates that a problem occurred within Ntfs.sys, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system
drives. A similar Stop message, 0x23, exists for the file allocation table (FAT16 or FAT32) file systems.

#1. Run CHKDSK in XP Recovery Console:
Set pc BIOS to boot from CDROM. Place XP CD in drive. Boot from the CD. Select the first option "R" Repair/Recovery Console. Select your Windows partition by number. Usually it is 1 .
Login to XP with administrator account.
Then run CHKDSK /P from the command line. (In Recovery console /P replaces /F ).

Run it once (or repeat) until it shows no errors. This should clear the "dirty" flag on the disk drive C.
Run CHKDSK for each drive on your system.
CHKDSK /P :X where X is letter for disk drive

References for Recovery Console:
Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console - Article ID Q314058
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/307654

To exit the Recovery Console, type EXIT.

HTH
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

p.mc wrote:
> Hi
>
> I defragmented my NTFS... 80gb ATA...C:/drive with (XP Home) on it.
> Then defragged my NTFS...250gb PCI.SATA...F:/drive...(Storage.)
>
> After that I then used the error checking tool on the (Storage) HDD,
> this then needs to re-boot the system to start the process, but
> unfortunately
> I got a blue screen (Stop: 0X00000024) I tried last known good/
> booting from CD,opened PC and re-seated PCI card and checked
> cables, but still can't get the pc to boot, it wont even go into safe
> mode.
>
> I haven't recently installed drivers either. I googled and one option
> was to find out which drive was causing the problem and install that
> in a Fat 32 system
> where I can then try a fix there, but before going down that road I've
> decided
> to post here and hope someone may have fix or better option than this.
> I really don't want to reformat...Arghh!!
>
> TIA
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 10:13:58 AM

#1. Run CHKDSK in XP Recovery Console:
[...]

Hi Maurice

I followed your advice and CHKDSK /P... found one or more errors on my
C:\windows drive, ran it again and it was clear, but my storage drive was
assigned the letter :\F... and when I typed the command ...CHKDSK /P :F...It
wouldn't run? (not a valid command or something to that effect) And I think
this is the drive I need to repair. Have you any suggestions or a
workaround? I would appreciate the advice as I thought we had it cracked,
only to fall at the last fence.

--

Regards
p.mc

Try CHKDSK with a slight difference. CHKDSK :F /P

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

> Hi Maurice
>
> I followed your advice and CHKDSK /P... found one or more errors on my
> C:\windows drive, ran it again and it was clear, but my storage drive
> was assigned the letter :\F... and when I typed the command ...CHKDSK
> /P :F...It wouldn't run? (not a valid command or something to that
> effect) And I think this is the drive I need to repair. Have you any
> suggestions or a workaround? I would appreciate the advice as I
> thought we had it cracked, only to fall at the last fence.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 7:21:04 PM

Hi Maurice

Tried your suggestion and different variations like spaces,no
spaces,colons,slashes,letters in different orders etc...of course I could
have been unlucky and not got the right variant, but still no joy.
Do you think it's a case of taking it to a repair shop, or is there anything
else that would sort it?

Regards
p.mc
Try CHKDSK with a slight difference. CHKDSK :F /P

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User
-----

> Hi Maurice
>
> I followed your advice and CHKDSK /P... found one or more errors on my
> C:\windows drive, ran it again and it was clear, but my storage drive
> was assigned the letter :\F... and when I typed the command ...CHKDSK
> /P :F...It wouldn't run? (not a valid command or something to that
> effect) And I think this is the drive I need to repair. Have you any
> suggestions or a workaround? I would appreciate the advice as I
> thought we had it cracked, only to fall at the last fence.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 9:00:38 PM

"p.mc" <sigadd1@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:D ctbp0$llr$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Hi Maurice
>
> Tried your suggestion and different variations like spaces,no
> spaces,colons,slashes,letters in different orders etc...of course I could
> have been unlucky and not got the right variant, but still no joy.
> Do you think it's a case of taking it to a repair shop, or is there
> anything
> else that would sort it?
>

> Regards
> p.mc
> "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Try CHKDSK with a slight difference. CHKDSK :F /P
>
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>
>> Hi Maurice
>>
>> I followed your advice and CHKDSK /P... found one or more errors on my
>> C:\windows drive, ran it again and it was clear, but my storage drive
>> was assigned the letter :\F... and when I typed the command ...CHKDSK
>> /P :F...It wouldn't run? (not a valid command or something to that
>> effect) And I think this is the drive I need to repair. Have you any
>> suggestions or a workaround? I would appreciate the advice as I
>> thought we had it cracked, only to fall at the last fence.

Repartition your drives (remove and recreate) Re format the drives. Reload
XP. Reload applications. Import all your saved date that you thoughtfully
backed up earlier. Now you have a brand new system.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 1:14:39 AM

Hi Nog

Hopefully it wont come to that, and what if after all that when I do a
defrag and error check on the SATA drive it wont balls up again.
To be honest, it will be quite a learning curve for me to take your advice
as I'm still learning as best I can.

Regards
p.mc

"Nog" <nognog@adelphia.net> wrote in message

> "p.mc" <sigadd1@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> news:D ctbp0$llr$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> > Hi Maurice
> >
> > Tried your suggestion and different variations like spaces,no
> > spaces,colons,slashes,letters in different orders etc...of course I
could
> > have been unlucky and not got the right variant, but still no joy.
> > Do you think it's a case of taking it to a repair shop, or is there
> > anything
> > else that would sort it?
> >

> > Regards
> > p.mc
> > "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Try CHKDSK with a slight difference. CHKDSK :F /P
> >
> > --
> > Maurice N
> > MVP Windows - Shell / User
> > -----
> >
> >> Hi Maurice
> >>
> >> I followed your advice and CHKDSK /P... found one or more errors on my
> >> C:\windows drive, ran it again and it was clear, but my storage drive
> >> was assigned the letter :\F... and when I typed the command ...CHKDSK
> >> /P :F...It wouldn't run? (not a valid command or something to that
> >> effect) And I think this is the drive I need to repair. Have you any
> >> suggestions or a workaround? I would appreciate the advice as I
> >> thought we had it cracked, only to fall at the last fence.
> >

> Repartition your drives (remove and recreate) Re format the drives. Reload
> XP. Reload applications. Import all your saved date that you thoughtfully
> backed up earlier. Now you have a brand new system.

Anonymous
August 5, 2005 1:35:56 AM

Hi Maurice

When I re-seated the SATA PCI card, It was connected to port (1...primary)
on the 2 port connectors, which is for the F:\ Storage drive.
And noticing I couldn't get CHKDSK to run on the F:\ Storage drive, I then
swapped to port (2...secondary) and re-run CHDSK :F/P
This time it ran, but I noticed it stated "Apps " which is actually my (C)
drive instead of (F) doubtless to say it didn't fix the problem so it's back
on
(port 1)
Is there still a solution or should I give up and take it to a repair shop,
I really hope it doesn't come to that, because they will probably want
to take the easy option and reformat.

Please type in p.mc in personal replies
or leave signature otherwise posts will
not be recieved

Regards
p.mc
"p.mc" <sigadd1@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:D ctbp0$llr$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Hi Maurice
>
> Tried your suggestion and different variations like spaces,no
> spaces,colons,slashes,letters in different orders etc...of course I could
> have been unlucky and not got the right variant, but still no joy.
> Do you think it's a case of taking it to a repair shop, or is there
anything
> else that would sort it?
>

> Regards
> p.mc
> "Maurice N ~ MVP" <maurice@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Try CHKDSK with a slight difference. CHKDSK :F /P
>
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>
> > Hi Maurice
> >
> > I followed your advice and CHKDSK /P... found one or more errors on my
> > C:\windows drive, ran it again and it was clear, but my storage drive
> > was assigned the letter :\F... and when I typed the command ...CHKDSK
> > /P :F...It wouldn't run? (not a valid command or something to that
> > effect) And I think this is the drive I need to repair. Have you any
> > suggestions or a workaround? I would appreciate the advice as I
> > thought we had it cracked, only to fall at the last fence.

Anonymous
August 5, 2005 1:35:57 AM

There is no need (to say the least) for reformat. period.
Give us a better idea of how you have these drives connected, and if this involves an add-on controller card.
And if these are 2 separate physical hard drives.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

p.mc wrote:
> Hi Maurice
>
> When I re-seated the SATA PCI card, It was connected to port
> (1...primary) on the 2 port connectors, which is for the F:\ Storage
> drive. And noticing I couldn't get CHKDSK to run on the F:\ Storage
> drive, I then swapped to port (2...secondary) and re-run CHDSK :F/P
> This time it ran, but I noticed it stated "Apps " which is actually
> my (C) drive instead of (F) doubtless to say it didn't fix the
> problem so it's back on
> (port 1)
> Is there still a solution or should I give up and take it to a repair
> shop, I really hope it doesn't come to that, because they will
> probably want to take the easy option and reformat.
>

> Please type in p.mc in personal replies
> or leave signature otherwise posts will
> not be recieved
>
> Regards
> p.mc
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 4:51:21 AM

Hi Maurice

My Set-up;

WinXP Home (SP1)...1.4ghz...512DDR ram

2.X... Maxtor DiamondMax plus 9 HDD's...One ATA 80gb with *OS* on...One SATA
250gb for *storage* on an Adaptec SataConnect PCI controller card.
2.X...Liteon DVD/RW...1633s & 1673s
1.X...Floppy Drive

C:\ 80gb ATA Eide primary Master...Winxp OS on...NTFS...Vol Name: Apps
D:\ DVD/RW Eide Secondary...Master
E:\ DVD/RW Eide Secondary...Slave
F:\ 250gb SATA on PCI Card...Master...For storage...NTFS...Vol Name:
Storage...I relocated "My Documents" folder onto this drive.
These HDD's are 2 separate Physical hard drives

I installed the Sata HDD about 5 months ago. I notice a lot of people like
to rearrange the drive letters, but everything was ok so it didn't bother me
to leave it as F:\. I do a lot of converting of .avi files to .vob files
on this drive, and must have deleted about 250gb worth of data in that time
and thought it's time to defragment both HDD's, "which I did" and use the
error checking tool, so I decided to do the F:\ drive first,...( My Computer
/ Right click on F:\ / properties / Tools / Error-Checking / Check Now ) As
you know this then has to reboot in order to start the process, and that's
when I got the blue screen 0X24, which my guess, after researching a bit,
was because the drive was heavily fragmented.

I've tried un-seating, re-seating, recovery console, which error checked and
fixed errors on my C:\ drive, but cannot do my F:\ drive, even with
different combination of "CHKDSK :F /P ...:F/P...:F / P... :F /
R...etc..etc. I even unplugged the SATA drive from my PC and Booted up with
my C:\ drive that's running ok, then hot plugged my SATA drive back in, only
to get the blue screen after a minute or two.
I've been corresponding to you from a laptop, but now I'm back on my PC with
the SATA HDD removed. I done a virus scan using "Sysclean" from Trendmicro
turned off sys restore scanned in safe mode, rebooted scanned again, this
time it found and removed a trojan "JS_FORTNIGHT.M" A low risk virus which
changes home page etc...etc. Which wouldn't have caused this.

I read somewhere that you can install the SATA drive into a Fat32 system and
try a fix from there somehow? or something else I seen was BartPE??
Sorry if it's a bit vague, anyway I hope the information I've supplied can
shed some light on the situation.

--
Regards
p.mc

For personal replies please leave or type signature
"p.mc" In the body of the message otherwise
posts will not be received.
Thanks

news:o ENvkmUmFHA.3144@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

!