Gamer Upgrading to 7 from Vista 32 Ultimate Need Advice

losse

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I hate vista ultimate. I never use any of its features and find it totally annoying when i have to turn them off on a fresh install. I just want to play games on my PC for the most part.

I am trying to figure out whats the best thing to do here. I saw on a chart that i can only upgrade to 7 ultimate from vista ultimate.

My questions:

Is this correct, I cant upgrade to some other version like 7 premium from ultimate vista?

Can i upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit?

Which version of 7 is better for gamers?

Is 7 ultimate as annoying as vista ultimate? (with all its worthless addons and functions i never use)

Where is the best place to buy 7?

Thanks much

jefe323

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

-You can go to another version of 7, but you need to do a "custom install" which is basically a reinstall of windows
-Yes, if you use an upgrade disc (or full version disk if you are so inclined)
-to find which version is for you: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare
-not really sure (never had vista ultimate). Check the link above to see added functions in 7 ultimate
-any decent store(online [like newegg or amazon] or brick and morter) or from microsoft directly(see link above again).

losse

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009

Ok sorry to be redundant but just making sure. I have vista ultimate 32, i can then buy 7 home premium upgrade and choose the fresh install option. If i ever format my hard drive, i will have to first install vista ultimate 32, then 7 home premium choosing fresh install option. Correct? :)

And thanks for the responses.

Not correct.
If you are a student, you can get a good deal with academic pricing; otherwise you will pay about the same retail price. I think it is about $30 for w7-professional.

Go ahead and get home premium upgrade package. Inside will be two dvd's, one 32 bit and the other 64 bit. If you want to upgrade, keeping 32 bit, boot up vista and run the install setup on the upgrade 32 bit dvd.

Since you want to go to 64 bit, you can't do it that way. Protect whatever data you want to carry over first. You need to boot from the 64 bit dvd and get a 64 bit starter install first. Select custom install and don't enter your product code or activate the first time. Just indicate which version of w7 you bought. Then under w7-64 you can do the upgrade install. The install will never ask you for your old copy of vista.

The install dvd's have the complete software for all versions, it is the product code which tells the install which parts to use.

For a gamer, w7 home premium is good. If you get professional or ultimate through academic pricing, don't worry, it will make no difference in gaming.