Ignorant wife needs help

Fataliya

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
First off, the reason I'm so ignorant is that my husband does all the 'guts' work on the computer, and he's stationed in South Korea right now, so I'm left to my own devices. Ok, we recently upgraded to a 900 mhz cpu (and for the life of me, all I can recall is that it's an AMD), a new mobo (the manual says it's a Socket A 1st Mainboard AZ11), video card (the CD Rom says Hercules 3D Prophet DDR-DVI, featuring GeForce256 DDR, and the cd also says version 3.62b, which I assume is the drivers), and sound card (Creative Soundblaster PCI 128, and it also lists the same again, and has Legacy Device next to it). Ok, here's the problem. Ever since we upgraded, we can't play *anythinng* with video. Everquest freezes on me. No One Lives Forever freezes. Command and Conquer freezes. I tried using different drivers for the video card, and it doesn't work. I think it's the video card, since that's what makes it freeze. My husband couldn't figure out the problem before he left for Korea. We've reformatted our hard drive. We've reinstalled windows, everything. Does anyone have any inkling of what this might be? Thanks in advance.

Tracy

It might be the power supply. What is the wattage of it?

Other than that I suggest you try to see if there are any "known conflicts with the mobo, graphics etc. This might be listed in software Readme files. Might be worthwhile checking out the manufacturers for BIOS updates.

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

Fataliya

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Here's a thought: I just looked at the Guillemot site and read the troubleshooting guide for the video card freezing during games. It said that your mobo has to be AGP 2.0 compliant, which is different than AGP 1x, 2x, 3x, and 4x, which are transfer rates. Well, lo and behold, in my mobo book, it says it is AGP 4x. Sooo, is there any way to download something to make it AGP 2.0 compliant, or do I just gotta buy a whole new one? TIA!

Tracy

It should tell you on your mobo manual if it is 2.0 compliant. I think these days all mobos at AGP 4x are 2.0

I think...

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

mbaha

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
I think u just need a guy with bigger stick of ram to boot u up. You know some one with more than just a floppy drive.

mbaha

“Build your own you will love it more”

Fataliya

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Gosh, I feel so stupid with all this, I really need to take a class or something..anyhow, I don't know what our power supply is, or how to find out. The book doesn't actually say the mobo is AGP 2.0 compliant, all it says is: "The 1st Mainboard AZ11 is based around the high performance KT133 chipset comprised of VIA VT 8363 system controller for the north bridge, and the VIA 686A (super south). The KT133's support for AGP 4x provides the end user a photo realistic 3D experience suitable for the most robust 3d games and software environments." I've looked thru the whole thing, and it doesn't say anywhere that it is AGP 2.0 compliant. But then, it doesn't say it isn't either. Bah, mebbe I just should buy a new mobo since I know NADA about tinkering?

Tracy

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
FIC (1st mainboard) has there own problems, and the chipset of that board has problems already. Try setting BIOS to 2x AGP and reinstalling the VIa 4-in-1 drivers

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

Fataliya

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Ok, how do I change the BIOS to 2x AGP? Is it in that blue screen I can go into before it loads my desktop? (I told ya I was stupid when it came to stuff like this) In the meantime, I'll go and download those VIA 4-n-1 drivers. Also, I downloaded the latest drivers that came out like a month or two ago, and now I can't even get Everquest to load. I'll prolly break this darn computer, but at least I'm trying.

Tracy

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
To find out how much juice your power supply has, all you need to do is remove the case, and look at the top, back corner, there, you should see a rectangle device that has a lot of red, blue, green and black wires hanging from it, (on the outside is were you put the powercord in). On one of the sides, hopefully the one that is facing you, you will see a list of the specs. It should read how many watts it puts out, the Ohms and the certification sticker saying it's complient with FCC Regulations or the like.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
When you first start up hit the del key, keep on hitting it. It should take you into the bios setup screen. In the bios setup screen you will use the key board to get around (not the mouse), your motherboard manual (if you have one) will help you to get aquited with the setup. If not, it really isn't to hard. Basically you will use the arrow keys to make a selection and hit the enter key to go into the sub menu. You will see some of the following choices and more:
. . Standard CMOS Features
. . Advanced BIOS Features
. . Advanced Chipset Features
. . Integrated Peripherals
. . Power Management Setup
. . PnP/PCI Configurations
. . PC Health Status
. .
. .

To change your AGP to 2x go to the <b>Advanced Chipset Features</b> there should be a setting that says <b>AGP 4x Mode</b> change it to <b>Disable</b>. To change the settings in the bios you will use the <b>Page Up and Page Down</b> keys on your keyboard. This will limit AGP to up to 2x transfer rates which may be the problem, maybe not.

To get out of the bios hit the <b>Esc</b> key on your keyboard which will take you back to the main bios screen where you started. In the menu choose the <b>Save & Exit Setup</b> choice. This will save you change(s).

Test to see if this made a difference and let us know.

Just remember to change one thing at a time in the bios and record it so that if you have a problem in the future you will be able to digress some if you want but don't change anything unless you have a good idea what it does.

Let us know how it goes and we will do one step at a time. I wouldn't jump to quick to another motherboard yet. The KT133 is a good chipset.

Fataliya

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Ok, I went into the BIOS blue screen thing, and the AGP 4x was already disabled. So does that mean since it's not working, I should enable it and see what happens?

Tracy, totally lost and stupid.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I wouldn't yet. Let me check over the manual a little. I do believe it is a FIC motherboard since you mention AZ11. I just downloaded the manual. Be back shortly.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Before you go changing things in your bios as others have suggested give us a little more info.

1) What OS?
2) Another has had you check the power supply...and?
3) Amount of Ram?
4) Run WCPUID and report back on what the agp bus is running at
5)Check into device manager and look for IRq conflicts
6) Click on the driver file details of your graphics card and tell us what driver number it reports.
7) in device manager under system devices find VIA AGP to CPU contoller and look at the driver file details of that device as well and who the provider is and the date of the driver.

Right now with the limited information we have all the possible solutions was a little more than a shot in the dark. poking around in your bios can be dangerous if you do not know what you are doing. Most likely all you need to do is download the via 4n1 drivers and possibly upgrade your video card drivers, but first lets make sure.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Clarifying:

1. OS?(WinMe, Win98, Win2000) would help us to help you.

2. Just tell us what the labels say on the PowerSupply, means opening up the computer, flashlight pencil etc.

3. If not sure, run System Information from <b>Start - Programs - Accessories</b> on Win2000 it would be under <b>System Tools</b>. Or you can go to <b>Start - Run</b> type in <b>msinfo</b> or <b>msinfo32</b> depending on your operating system you are using, that will get you into System Information as well. <b>System Summary</b> will tell you how much physical ram you have.

4.WCPUID is a program from H-Oda, download from here:
<A HREF="http://www.tweakfiles.com/processor/wcpuid.html" target="_new">http://www.tweakfiles.com/processor/wcpuid.html</A>
It will tell you alot about what cpu you have, speed etc. Also AGP configuration.

5. In SystemInformation you can check for IRQ (Interupt Request) conflicts by:
. . Startup System Information
. . Expand <b>Hardware Resources</b> in the tree view
. . click on <b>conflicts/Sharing</b>
. . Let us know what is being shared or has conflicts

6. Right click on top of desktop <b>Properties - Settings - Adapter - Properties - Driver</b> let us know the following:
Driver Provider
Driver Date: (not really needed)
Driver Version: (important one)
Digital Signer (not really needed

7. Right click on the <b>My Computer</b> icon which will open up <b>System Properties</b>, open <b>Device Manager</b>, in the device manager look for devices that either has a question mark next to it or a Red mark. Let us know.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 07/11/01 01:10 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Let us know what you find or if you have any questions. Odds are pretty good that you will be able to get a stable setup. I too am playing NOLF, a very fun and funny game, hate to see ya not be able to play that one. Just have a little patience and you will win.

Fataliya

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Ok, here goes the answers to the above post:

1) Win98
2) Dunno yet, lost my stinkin' screwdriver, and feel like a retard for it.
3) 128 megs of RAM
4) IRQ conflicts. YES! The site for my vid card says nothing should be on the same irq as it except for some PCI steering thing. On mine, it's the vid card, the steering thing, and my modem, which I can't change from within the control panel. They're all on 11, and I have 3, 5, and 9 that are free.
5) driver file details are: NVDISP.drv, file version 4.13.01.1240, date is 05-04-01, provider is NVIDIA Corp. NVMINI.vxd is same as above, and VMM32.vxd has 'not available' under all info.
6) In device manager, I found VIA CPU to AGP controller. I can't click driver file info, it isn't highlighted. It says 'No file is required for this device, and none are loaded'.
7) Downloaded and ran WCPUID 3.0. I copied all this down:
Internal clock 901.59 mhz
System clock 100.18
System bus 200.35 mhz DDR
multiplier 9.0 mhz

(chipset info)
Host bridge vendor is VIA Apollo KT133/KM133
S. Bridge vendor is VIA VT82C686A
VGA Device vendor is NVIDIA GeForce 256 DDR

(AGP info)

AGP Spec revision 2.0 Enabled
Data Rate (status) 1x 2x, (command) 2x
Graphics Aperture Size 32 Megs

I clicked on all the tabs and such, and found nothing that said AGP bus, so unless it's up there somewhere worded different, I dunno where to find it.

Tracy

Fataliya

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Oh, yes, wanted to add....Under the system info program, even though the Hercules site said nothing should be on the same IRQ as the vid card, sys info shows no conflict, and in the device manager, I have no icons showing a conflict either. The biggie for me is to be able to play Everquest (I know, gag!), because that is the only way besides email for me to keep in contact with my husband for the next year. I did download the latest drivers for the vid card today, and whereas before I could get into EQ and play for about 5 minutes before it froze, now I can't get in at all.

Tracy

Fataliya

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Ok, cut and pasted from the Sys info conflicts/sharing screen:

IRQ 10 VIA VT83C572/VT82C586 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 10 VIA VT83C572/VT82C586 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 10 Creative Sound Blaster PCI128
IRQ 10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
IRQ 11 Motorola SM56 Speakerphone Modem
IRQ 11 3D Prophet DDR-DVI
IRQ 11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
IRQ 14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
IRQ 14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
IRQ 15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
IRQ 15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller

Why I didn't see that before, is beyond me. Sorry for being such a pain in the keister.

Tracy

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
That was quick.

Should change your <b>AGP Aperture</b> size to 64 megabits in the bios.

Download and install the 4:32 4In1 via drivers, download from here:
<A HREF="http://www.viahardware.com/download/index.shtm#4in1" target="_new">http://www.viahardware.com/download/index.shtm#4in1</A>

Perform this test, in the <b>Run</b> command type in <b>dxdiag</b>
. . In DirectXDiagnostic Tool report the <b>DirectXVersion:</b> under the system tab
. . Click on the <b>Display</b> tab at top
. . Under the DirectX Features section:
. . . . DirectDraw/3d/AGP Texture Acceleration should all be Enabled with the three buttons saying <b>Disable</b> on each.
. . Run both tests let us know of any errors or problems noted:
. . . . <b>Test DirectDraw</b>
. . . . <b>Test Direct3d</b>

Let us know.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
If the above doesn't help there are a few bios settings that can cause the problem you are noting. Also the PowerSupply could be the problem, the GeForce cards took alot of power to operate. Let us know.

Looks more like the Modem and Video card IRQ conflict. Easy to fix, does require opening up your case. Butter knife??? Move the modem card to another slot, the pci slot next to the AGP slot (where your video card is plugged into) should be empty. Reason is that the AGP slot and the first pci slot share the same IRQ. This is probably the problem.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 07/11/01 01:13 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Fataliya

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Ok, ran the direct x diagnostic program. DX version is Directx 8.0 (4.08.00.0400). The 3 things under directx features are enabled. Test Direct x, not one problem. Test Direct 3D, I froze on the second part of the test. I'm off to download the 4-n-1 drivers, and then I'll be attempting to get into the case to see about power. As far as moving the modem, I'll attempt that too, but I gotta write all the instructions down so that I don't get it apart and then not know what to do exactly.

Tracy, off to find her a knife that fits those screws.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Sounds good. Just make sure you disconnect power to it.
Removing the modem card and installing in another slot is easy, make sure you fully insert card into slot. Usually only one screw is holding the card in. You can tell if fully inserted by looking at the card where the edge goes in, it should be in all the way. The case pci panel may have to be twisted off to allow the card to be installed in a different slot. Hopefully this will work. Still many options are left if it doesn't.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 07/11/01 01:31 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Fataliya

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Ok, power source: There's a switch that you can toggle between 110 and 220V. Currently it's at 110V. Moved the modem (Found the screwdriver!). There's the vid card, then an empty slot, then the modem, then an empty, then something else plugged in. Installed the 4-n-1 drivers also. Gonna go try to play something with video and see what happens.

Tracy

TRENDING THREADS