Framerate in Q3?

G

New to the whole "benchmarking" thing, how do i test my framerate in quake3?

G

Which version of QIII do you have? If you have the release version 1.17 or the new 1.29, you just go to the console by hitting the tilde key (~). The other versions had some issues with the commands I'm about to list below. I'd recommend going up to 1.29 though, better Bot AI as well as gameplay tweaks, but anyhoo...Once in the console, input the following lines, not the ones in brackets though:

timedemo 1 (hit enter)

(if that didn't work...try "timedemo_1")
Now set up the display settings to what you want them to be at. Generally people usually play at around 1024x768 or higher in 32 bit color with max details. After you've done this, go to the Demo menu and select Demo001 and click play. The demo should run very quickly, faster than actual gameplay. After the demo is completed, go back to the console (~) and it should give you your average frames per second.

Now, if you're still with me after all this ;) There are programs out there that will do this testing for you automatically, and run the tests multiple times to insure stability. I can't think of the name of the program I use right now, but if you're interested, just respond to this message.

As reference, I usually hit between 70-80 fps at the settings I described above.

Sample...

G

If you want to display your fps when you are actually plaing, bring down the console "~" and type draw_fps 1 or show_fps 1 ( I cant remeber, I get the commands confused when I play quake 3 and then counter strike)