USB hard drive: Losing drive when copying data

I have recently added a 160Gb Maxtor 6 P160PO drive in an external hi-speed
USB housing connected via a 4 port USB-2 card. I have tried copying large
amounts of data (13-20Gb) but after a few minutes, I get "The drive is not
ready" and it disappears from My Computer. If I disconnect it and re-connect
it, it will reappear. The same happended with a 20Gb drive I swapped in, so
it seems that it's not the drive. I have tried a different port to no avail.

Any ideas?
1 answer Last reply
More about hard drive losing drive copying data

    Forgot to mention that I am running SP2

    "Bruce" wrote:

    > I have recently added a 160Gb Maxtor 6 P160PO drive in an external hi-speed
    > USB housing connected via a 4 port USB-2 card. I have tried copying large
    > amounts of data (13-20Gb) but after a few minutes, I get "The drive is not
    > ready" and it disappears from My Computer. If I disconnect it and re-connect
    > it, it will reappear. The same happended with a 20Gb drive I swapped in, so
    > it seems that it's not the drive. I have tried a different port to no avail.
    >
    > Any ideas?

USB Hard Drives Windows XP