Windows Explorer to open without My Documents opne?

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

Everytime I use Windows Explorer it opens with My Documents
extended - thereby filling the screen with the folder I have within
My Documents.

To get to My Computer, and the drives themselves, I first have to
close the - sign on My Documents and then open the + sign on my
computer.

Is there a way to set it to open directly into my computer?

BTW, if this is a registry fix, I'm comfortable doing that.

TIA

Louise

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307856

"louise" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Everytime I use Windows Explorer it opens with My Documents
> extended - thereby filling the screen with the folder I have within
> My Documents.
>
> To get to My Computer, and the drives themselves, I first have to
> close the - sign on My Documents and then open the + sign on my
> computer.
>
> Is there a way to set it to open directly into my computer?
>
> BTW, if this is a registry fix, I'm comfortable doing that.
>
> TIA
>
> Louise

"louise" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Everytime I use Windows Explorer it opens with My Documents
>
> Is there a way to set it to open directly into My Computer?

Right-click the Windows Explorer shortcut.

Click Properties

Replace %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe with any of the following:

------------------------------­­-----------
"My Computer" in left side and C: in right side:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,/select,c:
------------------------------­­-----------
Desktop:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,/n,/select,/root,c:
------------------------------­­-----------
System drive expanded:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,/select
------------------------------­­-----------
System drive expanded:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,/select,%systemroot%
------------------------------­­-----------
Windows Directory expanded:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,/root,%systemroot%
------------------------------­­-----------
Drive C: expanded:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,c:
------------------------------­­-----------
My Computer in right side:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n,/e,/select,
------------------------------­­-----------
Opens the Windows folder as a folder:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe %systemroot%
------------------------------­­-----------
Opens as "My Computer":
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe %systemroot%,
------------------------------­­-----------
Desktop folder with "My Computer" highlighted:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe %systemroot%,/select,
------------------------------­­-----------
"Desktop" in the left side:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe
/e,/root,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069­­-A2D8-08002B30309D},/select
------------------------------­­-----------
"My Computer" in left side:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe
/e,/root,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069­­-A2D8-08002B30309D}
------------------------------­­-----------
"Desktop" in left side and "My Computer" in right side:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe
/e,/select,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-10­­69-A2D8-08002B30309D}
------------------------------­­-----------

Hello Louise,

According to your description, I know that you want to set My Computer
window as your default Windows Explorer.

Thank Michael and Ramesh for their great exprience sharing. Please try
their suggestions on your side to check if can achieve your goal.

Or, you can direct open My Computer by double clicking My Computer icon on
your desktop. If My Computer icon doesn't appear on your desktop, please
follow the steps to enable the Desktop icons.

1. Click Start - Control Panel - Display.
2. Choose Desktop tab, click Customize Desktop... button.
3. Choose General tab, click to select My Documents, My Network Places, My
Computer, Internet Explorer.
4. Click OK twice to close Display window.

Then, you can double click My Computer icon on the desktop to directly open
My Computer window.

If you have anything unclear or need further assitance, please let me know.

Regards,

Ada Pan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Start-Run:
explorer.exe /e,

You may create a shortcut for that.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"louise" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Everytime I use Windows Explorer it opens with My Documents
> extended - thereby filling the screen with the folder I have within
> My Documents.
>
> To get to My Computer, and the drives themselves, I first have to
> close the - sign on My Documents and then open the + sign on my
> computer.
>
> Is there a way to set it to open directly into my computer?
>
> BTW, if this is a registry fix, I'm comfortable doing that.
>
> TIA
>
> Louise

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <#RjbkBLmFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
ramesh@XOX.mvps.org says...
> Start-Run:
> explorer.exe /e,
>
> You may create a shortcut for that.

Thanks everybody - I'm sure I have the solution(s) I'll need.

Louise

You're welcome Louise.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

> In article <#RjbkBLmFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
> ramesh@XOX.mvps.org says...
>> Start-Run:
>> explorer.exe /e,
>>
>> You may create a shortcut for that.
>>

> Thanks everybody - I'm sure I have the solution(s) I'll need.
>
> Louise

Hello Louise,

Glad to hear the information helps. If you encounter new issues, please
feel free to post here. We are glad to be of assistance.