TNT 2 versus TNT 2 M64

andrewmantell

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2001
Hi,
I am thinking of getting one of these cards and I have found out that the M64 has half the memory bandwidth of the normal one. Is this going to make a huge difference? I would like to get the better card but I cannot seem to find the standard TNT 2 in a PCI version as I have no AGP slots. Can I only get the M64 in PCI version or should I look around more?
If you know where I could get hold of a PCI TNT 2 I would love to know!
Any general opinions on the card would also be much appreciated :)
Thanks
Andy M

G

most tnt2's are priced too high for what they provide. For only about $20-$40 more you can get a geforce 2 MX and have more than 3 times the features and performance.

Gog

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
But can you get GF2's in PCI, this obviously is an old system as he says no AGP. Question is if there's a bandwidth limit due to the card being PCI will it matter if he can only get an M64?

Personally if the system's an old dog but really needs a graphics update I'd buy a dead cheap ATI Expert 2000 and put the rest of my money into saving for a mobo/gcard/memory combo or complete new base unit because you're going to need the whole lot to upgrade much further.

--------------------------------

Look at the size of that thing!

HighCv2

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
Yes I agree, I tried putting a tnt2m64 into my p200 mmx and as far as games went it was completely bottlenecked by my cpu. Counter strike @ 4 fps isn't exactly a gamer's dream!

Go either for ATI Expert card or Voodoo 3 2000, I think TNT 1 is slower then both of these

"He who laughs last doesn't get the joke"

del_35

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
I've owned a TNT 2 and a M64 TNT2, with a p200mmx. I certainly found the M64 to be slower even in benchmarks. I also had a voodoo 3 2000 which was the better card out of them all. But if your looking to play the latest games you need to get a newer/faster system, like i did.

"Remember that after great thought, things are always bought from the lowest bider"

bungee

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
I don't really know the difference between TNT2 and M64, but let me say that for the TNT1 that I have, I know that it is pretty equivalent to Voodoo 2. What made the difference is that Voodoo 2 was advantaged by the copyrighted GLIDE language of 3dfx in games who supported that language. However, in non-glide games, the TnT with its superior hardware was performing better (non-glide usually meant D3D or openGL games). If I extrapolate, I suppose that Voodoo 3 and Tnt2 should have the same pattern, but I know that Voodoo 3 2000 is 16 megs and is offered in PCI version. For TnT2, I think that it is usually 32 megs which should give a considerable boost over V3.

Dasdrasvyet Sovyetskikh Soyuz! (not true)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Original TNT2 is about twice as fast in some games as the M64. Getting a bit hard to find, but htey are still out there, do a good search of Pricewatch using this phrase in the search box "TNT and PCI not m64 not vanta". They cost almost as much as an MX card. I can offer you a nice Radeon PCI for $65 in the retail box.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

i have a TNT2 M64 and it works very well in my system, which is fairly old, Pentium 2 233Mhz, 64Mb RAM. when i was looking for a decent 3d card (i had a s3 virge before the M64) i just looked for a cheap 3d card with good performance, TNT2 M64 was perfect.

i really don't think putting in a TNT2 would make much more of a difference than a M64. if you don't have AGP, then you must have an older computer, and your CPU will be even more of a bottleneck. if you're looking to upgrade in the future, a Geforce2 MX is pretty cheap now (compared to a GeForce3) and is good value, and is decent enough on a higher-end computer. although they will be even cheaper in the future when you do finally upgrade, and you might want to step up to something higher than just a Geforce2 MX. but if you're looking just for a cheap card to satisfy you for now i would recommend a GeForce2 MX.