Closed

My laptop shuts off when ever play games or watch videos.

My laptop keeps shutting itself off when ever I would either play games or watch videos. There would be no shutdown screen, it would just go black. Plus, it gets very hot when ever I do anything, even when it's idle! And now I'm even getting the BSOD. I'm getting the feeling that it's either the CPU or the fan. My question is should I send it to best buy to get it repaired/diagnosed or just get a new laptop entirely?

2011 Acer Aspire 5750

Intel core 13-2330M CPU 2.0 GHz

8GB of Ram

Integrated Graphics

500GB Hard Drive
11 answers Last reply
More about laptop shuts play games watch videos
  1. It sounds like overheating. Has it ever been cleaned?

    Install a utility called HW Monitor, take a screenshot, and post it in the thread so we can see what temperatures you are sitting at.
  2. wiggbot said:
    It sounds like overheating. Has it ever been cleaned?

    Install a utility called HW Monitor, take a screenshot, and post it in the thread so we can see what temperatures you are sitting at.


    Yes I clean it every 2-3 weeks but it is difficult because you can't remove the entire bottom of the laptop.

    As for the temps, how do you upload the pic?
  3. If you can't get to the bottom of the motherboard you will have to remove it to clean the fan and reapply thermal paste.
  4. ChadimusMaximus said:
    Yes I clean it every 2-3 weeks but it is difficult because you can't remove the entire bottom of the laptop.

    As for the temps, how do you upload the pic?


    www.imgur.com
  5. ChadimusMaximus said:
    My laptop keeps shutting itself off when ever I would either play games or watch videos. There would be no shutdown screen, it would just go black. Plus, it gets very hot when ever I do anything, even when it's idle! And now I'm even getting the BSOD. I'm getting the feeling that it's either the CPU or the fan. My question is should I send it to best buy to get it repaired/diagnosed or just get a new laptop entirely?

    2011 Acer Aspire 5750

    Intel core 13-2330M CPU 2.0 GHz

    8GB of Ram

    Integrated Graphics

    500GB Hard Drive


    Check and make sure the fan isn't seized or spinning very slowly. If that's the case, you need to take it apart and have the fan cleaned/re-oiled or replace the fan.
  6. wiggbot said:
    www.imgur.com

    http://i.imgur.com/G7aBDH5.png
  7. ChadimusMaximus said:


    Those are pretty high temperatures when the CPU is just idling.

    A quick bit of math from your data shows that your thermal subsystem is currently performing at:

    (69 Degrees Celsius - 66 Degrees Celsius) / (6.18 Watts- 3.59 Watts) ~= 1.2 Degrees Celsius/ Watt

    This is a horribly high number for a heatsink/fan. I'm FAIRLY CERTAIN that something is wrong with your cooling system in the laptop. As I said, check the fan first, then go from there. You may have to undergo a complete cleaning of the heatsink assembly and possibly re-oil/replace the fan.

    Try running some Prime95 stress tests to see if your temperatures are <95 Degrees Celsius at load. If it crashes running Prime95 reaching a high temperature, I think you know the answer for sure.
  8. I own a gaming laptop from a few years back (Asus G51) that is well known for having poor cooling. For example, the video card would plateau at around 102 degrees during gaming. Yes, I could boil water on my video card. I still have it and use it regularly, and it has never had any issues in the thousands of hours I've wasted playing games on it.

    Where I'm getting at with this is that laptop stuff can get a lot warmer due to space. Numbers which would scare me half to death on a desktop can be perfectly normal on a laptop. That said, your idle temps are rather high.

    Care to explain your cleaning process? A common mistake is instead of clearing the laptop of dust, sometimes one accidentally ends up blowing dust deeper into the internals of a laptop.

    I tend to agree with Maxx regarding you fan. Perhaps it is on its last legs. Is it possible to safely run the laptop with the fan exposed to see how it is functioning?
  9. wiggbot said:
    I own a gaming laptop from a few years back (Asus G51) that is well known for having poor cooling. For example, the video card would plateau at around 102 degrees during gaming. Yes, I could boil water on my video card. I still have it and use it regularly, and it has never had any issues in the thousands of hours I've wasted playing games on it.

    Where I'm getting at with this is that laptop stuff can get a lot warmer due to space. Numbers which would scare me half to death on a desktop can be perfectly normal on a laptop. That said, your idle temps are rather high.

    Care to explain your cleaning process? A common mistake is instead of clearing the laptop of dust, sometimes one accidentally ends up blowing dust deeper into the internals of a laptop.

    I tend to agree with Maxx regarding you fan. Perhaps it is on its last legs. Is it possible to safely run the laptop with the fan exposed to see how it is functioning?


    Here's the thing, my laptop doesn't allow me to open it completely. Here is the bottom of my laptop: http://imgur.com/P3AsNbq

    I can't remove the fan because I can't completely remove the back of the laptop. I can only access the Ram, CPU, Hard Drive, and battery. I have just been spraying air in the vent where the fan would be, then do the same with the keyboard, and then use a special cleaner made for computer screens to clean the display.
  10. Here's some stuff to take a boo at.

    Disassembly guide:
    http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disassemble-acer-aspire-5560-series-laptop/

    Someone on this forum with a similar problem AND a possible solution:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/71196-35-acer-5750g

    Take a peek at the other forum post first. Seems he may have fixed it without any hardware modification.
  11. Hi :)

    CLOSING due to age... but please start another thread if you are still having problems , which I will answer promptly...

    All the best Brett :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Acer Laptops Games Video