Gaming Issues on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunnerholic

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Hi there,

I am writing here due to the fact I am reaching the end of my tether with this laptop and its inability to play games smoothly. The Specifications are adequate afaik but for some unknown reason my game freezes up every time I shoot a gun or a character begins to speak. I have disabled on board sound and the game plays relatively smoothly, thus I believed it to be a Realtek issue, I then purchased a Soundblaster X-Fi Pro USB soundcard but the problems arose yet again!

This is not a temperature issue as I have downloaded speedfan, the GPU, CPU and HD are all in range.

Also All Drivers are up to date.

I also have ensured Nvidia Optimus selects the Nvidia GPU and not the Intel HD graphics. Power options are on High Performance.

My specifications are as follows:

Acer Aspire 5750G
Intel Core i5 2410M 2.3 GHz with Turbo boost up to 2.9GHz
Nvidia Geforce GT540M
8GB DDR3 Ram
Toshiba MK6465GSX SATA 610GB 7200RPM 3GB/S HD

I've done memory tests, Disk checks and everything turns up fine. If anyone with this laptop has been suffering with similar problems and has managed to remedy this issue I would greatly appreciate your input. Cheers, Jaimie.

Gunnerholic

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

Hi,

Many Thanks for the reply,

It doesn't seem to matter what game I'm playing really, I mean recently I have been attempting to play Half Life 2 and then some of the point and click Sherlock Holmes games and both keep freezing up intermittently when there is either dialogue or in Half Life 2's case shooting... :??:

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Clean the dust out of the cooling system and make sure the fan rotates freely. If a laptop gets too hot it will aggressively reduce CPU and GPU speed which can make it seem like the system is frozen.

I had the exact same symptoms with mine, took me a couple days to figure out a piece of paper was keeping the fan from rotating and the system was over heating ;)

Gunnerholic

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Ok, so I stripped my laptop down today and cleared any dust out put it all back together but still the same issue :/ I didn't think it was a heat issue but was willing to give it a try, I'm only getting temps under load like 54C CPU both cores, HD 29C, GPU 45C so again I do not believe this is causing the issue there is something else but dammit if I know what is causing the issue.
Thanks for the effort though I do appreciate it.

wiggbot

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
How long has it been since you've installed windows on it? If you're out of ideas, it might be the next option to format and reinstall. You may have some driver conflict that is most easily fixed by just starting anew.

Gunnerholic

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Hi many thanks for your reply but I reformatted and installed Windows about a week ago thinking that all the crap on the HD might be causing poor access problems, unfortunately to no avail :(
Really quite annoying as I just can't pin point the issue

wiggbot

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Hmm. Peculiar. I have an older gaming laptop that exhibited a similar issue once in while. It would stutter seldomly when something would happen, so like a sound clip or whatnot. My issue was resolved by formatting though.

So to verify, this stuttering only occurs when sound is on? When both the onboard sound and the usb sound are turned off, the stuttering doesn't occur?

Gunnerholic

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

I know right? I disable Realtek HD audio in the device manager or unplug my USB Sound card and the games run pretty much flawlessly. But as soon as I try and reintroduce sound into the equation the first sign of a bullet/explosion or dialogue and the graphics freeze for a moment or two with the sound looping and then everything is playable again for another minute or two.

wiggbot

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Hmm. I'm almost out of ideas, but there are a few threads to maybe take a look at.

Right click on your volume icon, and go to playback devices. Right click on whatever you're using to output sound, and hit properties. Tab over to Advanced, and see what your bitrate and sampling rate are set to. Maybe try lowering the setting.

As for the other threads, basically google realtek causing stuttering. Lots of stuff online, but not too many solutions :(

Gunnerholic

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Hi guys, again thanks for your efforts I've deleted Acer epower management as suggested in your link but still no change *sigh*. I've changed bitrate settings but again nothing different. I'm at the point of launching the laptop at the wall, last time I ever buy a laptop I'll tell you. I'll stick to desktop systems in future or better yet, console gaming.

wiggbot

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Sorry to hear that nothing seems to work.

Truth be told, I avoid Acer with a passion. This may come off as anecdotal, but literally everyone who I know who has or had an Acer laptop ran into issues. Whether it was poor build quality (hinge breaking off with normal use) never ending wifi issues, or poor performance ( my friend's Acer laptop has better specs than my Asus G51 in every respect, and yet my G51 performs much better ) there always seems to be something wrong with them.

Gunnerholic

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

Gunnerholic

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
I know what you mean, they are very plasticky and flimsy which is always a sign. I guess I was drawn into the trap of 'more bang for your buck' at the expense of quality it seems.

Gunnerholic

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
I may have stumbled on the cause of this issue, I used the performance monitor to scan my hardware and it seems my hard disk is causing a bottle neck. However the only solution windows gives is to defrag the disk which has already been done. I'm trying to find an accurate disk checker as chkdsk doesn't seem to yield anything and Toshiba (the manufacturer's of my hard disk) have no software themselves (Fujitsu hardware only it seems).

Here is the message performance monitor stated:

perfmon_zps44105944.jpg

wiggbot

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Hmm. I don't think a failing hard drive would explain issues that only occur when any sort of sound is enabled.

Considering you've got 8 gigs of RAM as well, I seriously doubt you're dipping into virtual memory...

It may be time to talk to Acer about options. Odds are they'll just tell you to send it in (which isn't a guarantee that it'll actually get fixed ) but perhaps they may have a solution.

Gunnerholic

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

I guess your right I'm clutching at straws here, I'll get in touch with Acer support.

karim ahmed

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
I have the same exact issue while I have an Acer Aspire 5742 G with
Intel Core i5-460M
nVidia GT 540M
4 GB DDR3 RAM
and also a Toshiba 640 gB HDD
Games stutter when there is sound although scanning for hdd errors and recovering them and defragmenting helps for a bit but there is still the same issue . Tests with OCCT , watching the task manager while doing heavy work :pt1cable: .. etc show graphs with heavy falls just like this >>
http://s20.postimage.org/484ntqir1/2013_02_03_17h22_Frequency_GPU_1_Mem.png
http://s20.postimage.org/wmeorcvot/2013_02_03_17h22_Frequency_GPU_1.png
http://s20.postimage.org/5ed969wfh/2013_02_03_17h22_Temperature_Core_0.png

I have other graphs but these are for example .

Status
Not open for further replies.