clicking and beeping, Dimension 8300

Last response: in Computer Brands
May 25, 2005 3:01:37 PM

Last week I got a BSOD on my Dell Dimension 8300 and after rebooting
neither of the HDD's were recognized by the BIOS, and there was
clicking coming from the HDD's and some faint beeping in no particular
pattern. The CD Drives were recognized. I swapped cables and nothing
helped. I figured the IDE controller was bad so I got another
motherboard and replaced everything, and now it is doing the same
thing. Could both HDD's go bad at the same time? Any other ideas?

Thanks to all for their help!!!
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 10:30:10 PM

Could be but try another hard drive to be sure. Very hard to believe they
both went to toast at the same time. The BIOS setting is on auto for sure is
it not?

Regards,
John O.

"TShark" <tigershark13825@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Last week I got a BSOD on my Dell Dimension 8300 and after rebooting
> neither of the HDD's were recognized by the BIOS, and there was
> clicking coming from the HDD's and some faint beeping in no particular
> pattern. The CD Drives were recognized. I swapped cables and nothing
> helped. I figured the IDE controller was bad so I got another
> motherboard and replaced everything, and now it is doing the same
> thing. Could both HDD's go bad at the same time? Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks to all for their help!!!

Anonymous
May 26, 2005 7:52:46 AM

The BIOS setting is set for Auto, I changed the new MB to production
from manufacturing, tried to discover the drives, only saw the CD's. I
think I may stop throwing good money after bad . . . Time for a new
computer!!
May 26, 2005 1:06:32 PM

> The BIOS setting is set for Auto, I changed the new MB to production
> from manufacturing, tried to discover the drives, only saw the CD's. I
> think I may stop throwing good money after bad . . . Time for a new
> computer!!

If you toss the old one, toss it my way :-)

Stew
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 1:41:57 PM

Well, I had a little more money to throw away so I spent it on a new
IDE cable. No dice, So I bought a new Dimension 3000 with a 19 inch
LCD for $500. Can't go too far wrong at that price with that monitor.
Sure its a mediocre machine, but it can be replaced easily. I just
wanted that monitor!! Thanks to all
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 2:30:29 AM

Yiou can throw the 8300 my way, too. I'm in eastern MA, so you may not have to
throw it far. Depending on what is in it, I'll throw an indeterminate sum of
money back at you... Ben Myers

On 27 May 2005 09:41:57 -0700, "TShark" <tigershark13825@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Well, I had a little more money to throw away so I spent it on a new
>IDE cable. No dice, So I bought a new Dimension 3000 with a 19 inch
>LCD for $500. Can't go too far wrong at that price with that monitor.
>Sure its a mediocre machine, but it can be replaced easily. I just
>wanted that monitor!! Thanks to all

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 12:58:11 PM

"TShark" <tigershark13825@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Last week I got a BSOD on my Dell Dimension 8300 and after rebooting
> neither of the HDD's were recognized by the BIOS, and there was
> clicking coming from the HDD's and some faint beeping in no particular
> pattern. The CD Drives were recognized. I swapped cables and nothing
> helped. I figured the IDE controller was bad so I got another
> motherboard and replaced everything, and now it is doing the same
> thing. Could both HDD's go bad at the same time? Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks to all for their help!!!

Power Supply
!