Dangerboy

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2001

I've transferred some wmv files to DVD-RW and am considering putting them
also on DVD-R so my DVD player can play them on my TV. Said files are
broadband encoded with Windows Encoder 9.0 and run from 350x280 to 472x352 in
size.

My desktop gives me the option i.e. in Winamp, to double the screen size or
go full screeen. Both are satisfying. But, when put into the home theater
DVD player, will those 2x/full screen options be there? If not, what kind of
picture size (percentage) can I expect to view on my 27" TV?

Thanks so much,

John M

Iowa City

Your TV has incredibly lower rez than the lowest setting on your computer monitor. (approx 350x500 vs. 480x640) When you use the
video-out connector to the TV, you are not going to get what you see on a computer screen. You won't have a problem of too small a
picture, but rather, perhaps, too big.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"dangerboy" <dangerboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:60F3AFE8-B591-491C-9B5F-DDB0D06FCE7D@microsoft.com...
> I've transferred some wmv files to DVD-RW and am considering putting them
> also on DVD-R so my DVD player can play them on my TV. Said files are
> broadband encoded with Windows Encoder 9.0 and run from 350x280 to 472x352 in
> size.
>
> My desktop gives me the option i.e. in Winamp, to double the screen size or
> go full screeen. Both are satisfying. But, when put into the home theater
> DVD player, will those 2x/full screen options be there? If not, what kind of
> picture size (percentage) can I expect to view on my 27" TV?
>
> Thanks so much,
>
> John M
>
> Iowa City

Dangerboy

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2001

Wow, thanks Mark. That's really surprising but does make sense. Kind of
similar then to viewing JPEGs on the TV, but if you're not too close they
look OK. Anybody else with experience with this? To me it's probably worth
an experiment. Still a little fuzzy though on what if any options I might
have for playback thru the DVD player concerning screen size. If I'd have
the option to tweak its size or not.

Thanks again,

John

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Your TV has incredibly lower rez than the lowest setting on your computer monitor. (approx 350x500 vs. 480x640) When you use the
> video-out connector to the TV, you are not going to get what you see on a computer screen. You won't have a problem of too small a
> picture, but rather, perhaps, too big.
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "dangerboy" <dangerboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:60F3AFE8-B591-491C-9B5F-DDB0D06FCE7D@microsoft.com...
> > I've transferred some wmv files to DVD-RW and am considering putting them
> > also on DVD-R so my DVD player can play them on my TV. Said files are
> > broadband encoded with Windows Encoder 9.0 and run from 350x280 to 472x352 in
> > size.
> >
> > My desktop gives me the option i.e. in Winamp, to double the screen size or
> > go full screeen. Both are satisfying. But, when put into the home theater
> > DVD player, will those 2x/full screen options be there? If not, what kind of
> > picture size (percentage) can I expect to view on my 27" TV?
> >
> > Thanks so much,
> >
> > John M
> >
> > Iowa City

Dangerboy

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2001

My test is finished for now. My DVD player does play back MP3/WMA files as
well as JPEG. As for now my discs will serve as nice content backups and
will play fine on my computer. Someday I'm sure I will be able to purchase a
DVD player that supports WMV files. That will at least be until I find the
region-free player that also upconverts to HD-like quality, then I'll be set.

Thanks for the input.