Registry files - where?

Where are the registry files stored, like system.dat and user.dat? I
thought they were in the Windows directory but I don't see them.

TIA

--
Untie the two knots to email me

"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent."
Jean Kerr
5 answers Last reply
More about registry files where

    "Ken Knecht" wrote:
    >Where are the registry files stored, like system.dat and user.dat? I
    >thought they were in the Windows directory but I don’t see them.
    >
    >TIA

    Greetings Ken,
    If you are using WIN XP goto Start>Search>Files and Folders>Type in
    user.dat and windows will find them for you.

    They will open in Notepad and most of the contents are in ANSI text.
    Best regards,
    ultra_classic :)

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Registry-files-ftopict404533.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1341113

    Ken Knecht wrote:
    > Where are the registry files stored, like system.dat and user.dat? I
    > thought they were in the Windows directory but I don't see them.
    >
    > TIA

    No, you won't find a Win9x registry in WinXP. ;-}

    The WinXP registry can be found in C:\Windows\System32\Config\. It'll
    be divided into several data files, such as Security, Software, and
    System. The user-specific portion of the registry is stored in each
    user profile, in a file named NTUser.dat.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    ultra_classic <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in news:3_1341113_
    57dca42644beb41e2f9ae3fa7f04c718@windowsforumz.com:

    > "Ken Knecht" wrote:
    >>Where are the registry files stored, like system.dat and user.dat? I
    >>thought they were in the Windows directory but I don’t see them.
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>

    > Greetings Ken,
    > If you are using WIN XP goto Start>Search>Files and Folders>Type in
    > user.dat and windows will find them for you.
    >
    > They will open in Notepad and most of the contents are in ANSI text.
    > Best regards,
    > ultra_classic :)

    Thanks. I tried that. No soap. Evidently XP changed the name of the
    registry files.

    --

    Bruce Chambers <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in

    > Ken Knecht wrote:
    >> Where are the registry files stored, like system.dat and user.dat? I
    >> thought they were in the Windows directory but I don't see them.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>

    > No, you won't find a Win9x registry in WinXP. ;-}
    >
    > The WinXP registry can be found in C:\Windows\System32\Config\.
    > It'll
    > be divided into several data files, such as Security, Software, and
    > System. The user-specific portion of the registry is stored in each
    > user profile, in a file named NTUser.dat.

    Aha! Thanks. That explains my problem. I guess I'll have to rely on backing
    it up by exporting the registry with Regedit.

    --

    Ken Knecht wrote:
    > Bruce Chambers <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in
    >

    >>Ken Knecht wrote:
    >>
    >>>Where are the registry files stored, like system.dat and user.dat? I
    >>>thought they were in the Windows directory but I don't see them.
    >>>
    >>>TIA
    >>>

    >> No, you won't find a Win9x registry in WinXP. ;-}
    >>
    >> The WinXP registry can be found in C:\Windows\System32\Config\.
    >> It'll
    >>be divided into several data files, such as Security, Software, and
    >>System. The user-specific portion of the registry is stored in each
    >>user profile, in a file named NTUser.dat.
    >>

    > Aha! Thanks. That explains my problem. I guess I'll have to rely on backing
    > it up by exporting the registry with Regedit.

    Exporting will not give you a reliable backup of the wnole registry. Use
    XP's System Restore or the freeware program ERUNT for that.

Support Registry Microsoft Windows XP