Registry files - where?

August 4, 2005 6:40:15 PM

Where are the registry files stored, like system.dat and user.dat? I
thought they were in the Windows directory but I don't see them.

TIA

--
Untie the two knots to email me

"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent."
Jean Kerr

More about : registry files

Anonymous
August 5, 2005 4:38:47 AM

"Ken Knecht" wrote:
>Where are the registry files stored, like system.dat and user.dat? I
>thought they were in the Windows directory but I don’t see them.
>
>TIA

Greetings Ken,
If you are using WIN XP goto Start>Search>Files and Folders>Type in
user.dat and windows will find them for you.

They will open in Notepad and most of the contents are in ANSI text.
Best regards,
ultra_classic :)

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Registry-fi...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1341113
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 12:15:39 PM

Ken Knecht wrote:
> Where are the registry files stored, like system.dat and user.dat? I
> thought they were in the Windows directory but I don't see them.
>
> TIA

No, you won't find a Win9x registry in WinXP. ;-}

The WinXP registry can be found in C:\Windows\System32\Config\. It'll
be divided into several data files, such as Security, Software, and
System. The user-specific portion of the registry is stored in each
user profile, in a file named NTUser.dat.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
August 5, 2005 8:34:45 PM

ultra_classic <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in news:3_1341113_
57dca42644beb41e2f9ae3fa7f04c718@windowsforumz.com:

> "Ken Knecht" wrote:
>>Where are the registry files stored, like system.dat and user.dat? I
>>thought they were in the Windows directory but I don’t see them.
>>
>>TIA
>>

> Greetings Ken,
> If you are using WIN XP goto Start>Search>Files and Folders>Type in
> user.dat and windows will find them for you.
>
> They will open in Notepad and most of the contents are in ANSI text.
> Best regards,
> ultra_classic :)

Thanks. I tried that. No soap. Evidently XP changed the name of the
registry files.

--
Untie the two knots to email me

"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't
permanent." Jean Kerr
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 8:37:19 PM

Bruce Chambers <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in

> Ken Knecht wrote:
>> Where are the registry files stored, like system.dat and user.dat? I
>> thought they were in the Windows directory but I don't see them.
>>
>> TIA
>>

> No, you won't find a Win9x registry in WinXP. ;-}
>
> The WinXP registry can be found in C:\Windows\System32\Config\.
> It'll
> be divided into several data files, such as Security, Software, and
> System. The user-specific portion of the registry is stored in each
> user profile, in a file named NTUser.dat.

Aha! Thanks. That explains my problem. I guess I'll have to rely on backing
it up by exporting the registry with Regedit.

--
Untie the two knots to email me

"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent."
Jean Kerr
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 9:55:54 PM

Ken Knecht wrote:
> Bruce Chambers <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in
>

>>Ken Knecht wrote:
>>
>>>Where are the registry files stored, like system.dat and user.dat? I
>>>thought they were in the Windows directory but I don't see them.
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>

>> No, you won't find a Win9x registry in WinXP. ;-}
>>
>> The WinXP registry can be found in C:\Windows\System32\Config\.
>> It'll
>>be divided into several data files, such as Security, Software, and
>>System. The user-specific portion of the registry is stored in each
>>user profile, in a file named NTUser.dat.
>>

> Aha! Thanks. That explains my problem. I guess I'll have to rely on backing
> it up by exporting the registry with Regedit.

Exporting will not give you a reliable backup of the wnole registry. Use
XP's System Restore or the freeware program ERUNT for that.