Questions on Standby and related Power Option Selections

I have Win XP home ed. on a desktop pc and have two questions:

1. Is there a way to put Standby on the Desktop for quick access - I
would like to use Standby routinely rather than turning off the pc at
night and this would save two steps.
2. I note in the Power Options >Power Schemes was set to Win DVD
Creator? THere are several other selection options including
Home/Office Desk. Would this be a more desirable selection than Win
DVD Creator?

Thanks for any guidance,

Frank

Set the physical power button on the system to activate standby, and use the start menu to actually do a shutdown (or a command in a
shortcut 'shutdown -t 00')

Control Panel, Power Options, Advanced tab, set power button dropbox to 'standby'

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"ECLiPSE 2002" <fdm2000@comcast.net> wrote in message news:mvc4f1hv7k30mjqifrnpcg6mqqhnmsmgfl@4ax.com...

> I have Win XP home ed. on a desktop pc and have two questions:
>
> 1. Is there a way to put Standby on the Desktop for quick access - I
> would like to use Standby routinely rather than turning off the pc at
> night and this would save two steps.
> 2. I note in the Power Options >Power Schemes was set to Win DVD
> Creator? THere are several other selection options including
> Home/Office Desk. Would this be a more desirable selection than Win
> DVD Creator?
>
> Thanks for any guidance,
>
> Frank

Mark,

Thanks for the response and guidance. If you would, could you comment
on question #2

Frank

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 10:39:05 -0500, "Mark L. Ferguson"
<marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Set the physical power button on the system to activate standby, and use the start menu to actually do a shutdown (or a command in a
>shortcut 'shutdown -t 00')
>
>Control Panel, Power Options, Advanced tab, set power button dropbox to 'standby'

I have not seen that scheme. I have WinDVD, but do not see any listing for that. I see no reason to believe that it might not be
acceptable.

--
Mark L. Ferguson