nEW USER OF xp

hI UPGRADED FROM WIN200 TO XP, AND RECEIVED A NUMBER OF ERROR MESSAGES. I
was prompted to go to the sites listed below. As they did not appear to be
Microsoft sites I did not download. Can anyone tell me if these sites are
secure and can be used?
www.cleanthis pc.com
www.e-registryclean.com
www.updatepatch.com
www.fixwinreg.com
www.regcleaner32.com

Thanks, Dan
2 answers Last reply
More about user

    You are wise to be skeptical. Stay away from these scams and any other
    programs you are offered from an advertisement, pop-up or error message.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    Dan wrote:
    > hI UPGRADED FROM WIN200 TO XP, AND RECEIVED A NUMBER OF ERROR MESSAGES. I
    > was prompted to go to the sites listed below. As they did not appear to be
    > Microsoft sites I did not download. Can anyone tell me if these sites are
    > secure and can be used?
    > www.cleanthis pc.com
    > www.e-registryclean.com
    > www.updatepatch.com
    > www.fixwinreg.com
    > www.regcleaner32.com
    >
    > Thanks, Dan

    *NOTHING* from any of those sites is safe or necessary to use. You are
    the victim of multiple scams.

    The so-called warnings are from several very unscrupulous
    "businesses." They're trying to sell you patches that Microsoft
    provides free-of-charge, and using a very intrusive means of
    advertising. It's also demonstrating that your PC is very unsecured.

    This type of spam has become quite common over the past couple of
    years, and unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It
    demonstrates that you haven't been taking sufficient precautions while
    connected to the Internet. Your data probably hasn't been compromised
    by these specific advertisements, but if you're open to this exploit,
    you most definitely open to other threats, such as the Blaster,
    Welchia, and Sasser Worms that still haunt the Internet. Install and
    use a decent, properly configured firewall. (Merely disabling the
    messenger service, as some people recommend, only hides the symptom,
    and does little or nothing to truly secure your machine.) And
    ignoring or just "putting up with" the security gap represented by
    these messages is particularly foolish.

    Messenger Service of Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    Appears
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    Whichever firewall you decide upon, be sure to ensure UP ports 135,
    137, and 138 and TCP ports 135, 139, and 445 are all blocked. You
    may also disable Inbound NetBIOS over TCP/IP). You'll have
    to follow the instructions from firewall's manufacturer for the
    specific steps.

    You can test your firewall at:

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/ssc/vr_main.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=GPVHGBYNCJEIMXQKCDT

    Security Scan - Sygate Online Services
    http://www.sygatetech.com/

    Oh, and be especially wary of people who advise you to do nothing
    more than disable the messenger service. Disabling the messenger
    service, by itself, is a "head in the sand" approach to computer
    security. The real problem is not the messenger service pop-ups;
    they're actually providing a useful, if annoying, service by acting as
    a security alert. The true problem is the unsecured computer, and
    you've been advised to merely turn off the warnings. How is this
    helpful?

    There are several essential components to computer security: a
    knowledgeable and pro-active user, a properly configured firewall,
    reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, and the prompt repair (via
    patches, hotfixes, or service packs) of any known vulnerabilities.

    The weakest link in this "equation" is, of course, the computer
    user. No software manufacturer can -- nor should they be expected
    to -- protect the computer user from him/herself. All too many people
    have bought into the various PC/software manufacturers marketing
    claims of easy computing. They believe that their computer should be
    no harder to use than a toaster oven; they have neither the
    inclination or desire to learn how to safely use their computer. All
    too few people keep their antivirus software current, install patches
    in a timely manner, or stop to really think about that cutesy link
    they're about to click.

    Firewalls and anti-virus applications, which should always be used
    and should always be running, are important components of "safe hex,"
    but they cannot, and should not be expected to, protect the computer
    user from him/herself. Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and
    every computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer.

    To learn more about practicing "safe hex," start with these links:

    Protect Your PC

    Home Computer Security
    http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/

    List of Antivirus Software Vendors