Problem with Norton AV 2005 Internet Worm Protection Popups

I'm running a Dell Dimension 4550 P4, Windows XP with Norton Anti-Virus
2005. My computer is the host computer on a wireless network using A
LinkSys wireless router.

My problem is that I continue to get "Security Alert: Internet Worm
Protection" popups months after installing whereupon I have to tell
Norton to block, not permit, the IP address attempting to gain access
to my computer.

I would say I get between six to ten of these alerts per day. It's
quite annoying.

According to the User Manual these should decrease in frequency as
Norton AV "learns" program rules to block these incoming IP addresses.
I've noticed that a lot of times the same IP addresses are causing the
Security Alerts.

The remote computer on the network rarely, if ever, gets these security
alert popups.

Symantec.com's knowledge base doesn't address this issue except to tell
how to turn off the worm protection or allow certain programs to access
the computer.

What is going on here? I thought my router would block any attempts to
access my computer. May I safely turn off the Worm Protection scheme in
Norton AV? What other techniques could I use to stop these annoying
alert popups?

> Colin Wilson wrote:

> Is it a proper Nortons popup, or could it be a malicious program causing
> them to appear ?

It is a "feature" of Norton AV program that whenever it detects another
computer trying to gain access to your computer a window pops up
telling you the threat and asking you to select Permit or Block. I
always choose Block.

> The router *should* - but Nortons is not effective against many viruses
> in my experience - even if you have the latest updates.

> Do you have any ports open in the router to allow a server to run, or
> similar ?

No.

> Is it a "plug and play" router that can be told to open ports
> automatically by Windows ?

I'm not sure but I don't think so. It's a LinkSys BEFW11S4.

> Have you tried scanning with something other than Norton, like Sysclean
> from Trend ? (a one-off get-me-out-of-trouble virus checker)

No.

> Do you use Nortons' firewall, the one thrown in with SP2, or a third
> party product like ZoneAlarm ? - i`d be tempted to use ZoneAlarm
> personally, although there are other good free firewalls available - at
> least a third party firewall tends to give you some application level
> control of what can get out - your router should be preventing anything
> getting "in" from a port scan point of view.

I have Windows SP2 firewall enabled.

> Do you still use IE ? (if so, WHY ????)

I'm on AOL. Their browser is a version of IE.

> Have you scanned for malware / spyware / BHO's recently ?

Yes, I do this weekly.

> My problem is that I continue to get "Security Alert: Internet Worm
> Protection" popups months after installing whereupon I have to tell
> Norton to block, not permit, the IP address attempting to gain access
> to my computer.

Is it a proper Nortons popup, or could it be a malicious program causing
them to appear ?

> What is going on here? I thought my router would block any attempts to
> access my computer. May I safely turn off the Worm Protection scheme in
> Norton AV? What other techniques could I use to stop these annoying
> alert popups?

The router *should* - but Nortons is not effective against many viruses
in my experience - even if you have the latest updates. Avast is free,
and is apparently just ahead of AVG as far as free virus checkers go, so
it might be worth giving that a try - http://www.avast.com

Do you have any ports open in the router to allow a server to run, or
similar ? Is it a "plug and play" router that can be told to open ports
automatically by Windows ?

Have you tried scanning with something other than Norton, like Sysclean
from Trend ? (a one-off get-me-out-of-trouble virus checker)

Do you use Nortons' firewall, the one thrown in with SP2, or a third
party product like ZoneAlarm ? - i`d be tempted to use ZoneAlarm
personally, although there are other good free firewalls available - at
least a third party firewall tends to give you some application level
control of what can get out - your router should be preventing anything
getting "in" from a port scan point of view.

Do you still use IE ? (if so, WHY ????)

Have you scanned for malware / spyware / BHO's recently ?

> It is a "feature" of Norton AV program that whenever it detects another
> computer trying to gain access to your computer a window pops up
> telling you the threat and asking you to select Permit or Block. I
> always choose Block.

I wonder... one of the recent M$ updates introduced two new "networks" to
my machine (an old 98SE box) but it does similar for XP too afaik.

Do you know the IP addresses of the networks concerned ? - it may be
something to do with a similar update.

I now have an additional:

Bluetooth PAN driver - 169.254.183.170
Microsoft TV/Video Connection - 4.0.0.3

> > Is it a "plug and play" router that can be told to open ports
> > automatically by Windows ?
> I'm not sure but I don't think so. It's a LinkSys BEFW11S4.

I`d have to check, but its 4am here, and i`m in work by 9am :-}

> > Have you tried scanning with something other than Norton, like Sysclean
> > from Trend ? (a one-off get-me-out-of-trouble virus checker)
> No.

Might be worth a shot, just in case...

> I have Windows SP2 firewall enabled.

Its better than nothing (hardly, but...), but it doesn`t explain where
the popups are coming from...

> > Do you still use IE ? (if so, WHY ????)
> I'm on AOL. Their browser is a version of IE.

I believe once the connection is made you can use any internet app
nowadays - i`d ditch IE for as much as possible to be honest !

> > Have you scanned for malware / spyware / BHO's recently ?
> Yes, I do this weekly.

Silly question, but what with ? - there are many false anti-spyware apps
out there...

I`ve tried to put as much info as I can onto my website in case it might
be of help to anyone:

http://www.coreutilities.co.uk

Colin Wilson wrote:

> > > Have you scanned for malware / spyware / BHO's recently ?

> > Yes, I do this weekly.

> Silly question, but what with ? - there are many false anti-spyware apps
> out there...

Ad Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy

> I`ve tried to put as much info as I can onto my website in case it might
> be of help to anyone:
>
> http://www.coreutilities.co.uk

Thanks, I'll check it out.