Question on Boot Path entry in Boot.ini

August 4, 2005 4:05:06 PM

I recently went to System Configuration>Boot.ini and found a line
entry C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT\ DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery
Console"/cmdcons

When I click on Check All Boot Paths, a pop up appears saying..." it
appears that the following line in the Boot.ini file does not refer
to a valid operating system."
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT\ DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console"/cmdcons

Do you want to remove it? Yes No

Anyone know what this line is for and is it needed in Win XP home
edition which does not have the windows recovery console?

Any guidance would be apprecaited,

Frank

More about : question boot path entry boot ini

Anonymous
August 4, 2005 4:05:07 PM

ECLiPSE 2002 wrote:
> I recently went to System Configuration>Boot.ini and found a line
> entry C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT\ DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery
> Console"/cmdcons
>
> When I click on Check All Boot Paths, a pop up appears saying..." it
> appears that the following line in the Boot.ini file does not refer
> to a valid operating system."
> C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT\ DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console"/cmdcons
>
> Do you want to remove it? Yes No
>
> Anyone know what this line is for and is it needed in Win XP home
> edition which does not have the windows recovery console?
>
> Any guidance would be apprecaited,
>
> Frank

you can safely remove it. I only have Win XP PRO, a line like that
would mean that the recovery console (available when booting from the
CD) is also avaialble locally, so no CD required, and it can be
selected from the boot menu

My line like that was deleted. But I can put it back any time I want by
putting the win xp cd in the drive and there's an option somewhere to
have the recovery console installed locally and accessible at bootup .

There's probably an easy way to comment out that line anyway.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 10:51:27 PM

Thanks for the response and input, James.

Frank
!