LAN configuration

During my network troubleshooting, I was checking my NIC configuration on my
desktop to make sure that file and print sharing was enabled and realized
that there is nothing installed, no clients, services, or protocols. When I
try to install I got an error message that the file could not be found. This
is strange because I get access to the internet. Is this possible? Could
this be the reason my laptop cannot access the desktop? How I fix this?
Thanks for the help.
14 answers Last reply
More about configuration

    Download and run Winsock fix.
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/WinsockxpFix.zip

    "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > During my network troubleshooting, I was checking my NIC configuration on
    > my
    > desktop to make sure that file and print sharing was enabled and realized
    > that there is nothing installed, no clients, services, or protocols. When
    > try to install I got an error message that the file could not be found.
    > This
    > is strange because I get access to the internet. Is this possible? Could
    > this be the reason my laptop cannot access the desktop? How I fix this?
    > Thanks for the help.

    Do I have to delete the adapter first?

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > Download and run Winsock fix.
    > http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/WinsockxpFix.zip

    > "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > During my network troubleshooting, I was checking my NIC configuration on
    > > my
    > > desktop to make sure that file and print sharing was enabled and realized
    > > that there is nothing installed, no clients, services, or protocols. When
    > > try to install I got an error message that the file could not be found.
    > > This
    > > is strange because I get access to the internet. Is this possible? Could
    > > this be the reason my laptop cannot access the desktop? How I fix this?
    > > Thanks for the help.

    No.

    > Do I have to delete the adapter first?
    >
    > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    >
    >> Download and run Winsock fix.
    >> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/WinsockxpFix.zip
    >>
    >> --

    >> "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > During my network troubleshooting, I was checking my NIC configuration
    >> > on
    >> > my
    >> > desktop to make sure that file and print sharing was enabled and
    >> > realized
    >> > that there is nothing installed, no clients, services, or protocols.
    >> > When
    >> > try to install I got an error message that the file could not be found.
    >> > This
    >> > is strange because I get access to the internet. Is this possible?
    >> > Could
    >> > this be the reason my laptop cannot access the desktop? How I fix
    >> > this?
    >> > Thanks for the help.

    PC,
    I downloaded and installed the fix, ran the wizard again. When I looked at
    the log, it shows that the client, file and services and tcp/ip failed to
    install.

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > No.

    > "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Do I have to delete the adapter first?
    > >
    > > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Download and run Winsock fix.
    > >> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/WinsockxpFix.zip
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>

    > >> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    > >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
    > >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
    > >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
    > >>

    > >> "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Is your connection Bridged?

    > PC,
    > I downloaded and installed the fix, ran the wizard again. When I looked
    > at
    > the log, it shows that the client, file and services and tcp/ip failed to
    > install.
    >

    > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    >
    >> No.
    >>
    >> --

    >> "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Do I have to delete the adapter first?

    No, what is bridging?

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > Is your connection Bridged?

    > "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > PC,
    > > I downloaded and installed the fix, ran the wizard again. When I looked
    > > at
    > > the log, it shows that the client, file and services and tcp/ip failed to
    > > install.
    > >

    > > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    > >
    > >> No.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>

    > >> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    > >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
    > >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
    > >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
    > >>

    > >> "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    I have seen this issue once before when the Winsock fix did not work. The
    solution was to physically remove the card and reseat it, however this was
    years go. Now most nics are built in.Try what you said before. remove it
    from the device manager, run Winsock fix again then reboot. Do this with the
    Ethernet cable unplugged. Also Intel wireless and VPN software can cause
    that.

    > No, what is bridging?
    >
    > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    >
    >> Is your connection Bridged?
    >>
    >> --

    >> "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > PC,
    >> > I downloaded and installed the fix, ran the wizard again. When I
    >> > looked
    >> > at
    >> > the log, it shows that the client, file and services and tcp/ip failed
    >> > install.

    Thanks. There is a 1394 netadapter installed, do I do anything with that?

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > I have seen this issue once before when the Winsock fix did not work. The
    > solution was to physically remove the card and reseat it, however this was
    > years go. Now most nics are built in.Try what you said before. remove it
    > from the device manager, run Winsock fix again then reboot. Do this with the
    > Ethernet cable unplugged. Also Intel wireless and VPN software can cause
    > that.

    > "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > No, what is bridging?
    > >
    > > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Is your connection Bridged?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>

    > >> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    > >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
    > >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
    > >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
    > >>

    > >> "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    That's Firewire it should not be part of the problem but who knows. Go ahead
    and delete it as it will be redetected and installed on reboot.

    > Thanks. There is a 1394 netadapter installed, do I do anything with that?
    >
    > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    >
    >> I have seen this issue once before when the Winsock fix did not work. The
    >> solution was to physically remove the card and reseat it, however this
    >> was
    >> years go. Now most nics are built in.Try what you said before. remove it
    >> from the device manager, run Winsock fix again then reboot. Do this with
    >> the
    >> Ethernet cable unplugged. Also Intel wireless and VPN software can cause
    >> that.
    >>
    >> --

    >> "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > No, what is bridging?

    I did as instructed. After the reboot the LAN adapter is not present in
    internet connection and there was a yellow mark next to the adapter name
    indicating an error. "Windows could not load driver.

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > That's Firewire it should not be part of the problem but who knows. Go ahead
    > and delete it as it will be redetected and installed on reboot.

    > "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks. There is a 1394 netadapter installed, do I do anything with that?
    > >
    > > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have seen this issue once before when the Winsock fix did not work. The
    > >> solution was to physically remove the card and reseat it, however this
    > >> was
    > >> years go. Now most nics are built in.Try what you said before. remove it
    > >> from the device manager, run Winsock fix again then reboot. Do this with
    > >> the
    > >> Ethernet cable unplugged. Also Intel wireless and VPN software can cause
    > >> that.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>

    > >> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    > >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
    > >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
    > >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
    > >>

    > >> "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    If you have the driver then install it. If you don't you can download them
    from the manufacture website or you can use the one currently on your
    system. To do this right click on the adapter in the device manager and
    choose update driver. When it asks for a location of the driver give it
    windows/system32/drivers. If it does not find the driver in that location
    then it will tell you the name of the driver it is looking for. Do a search
    on your system for that driver and when found point the installer to that
    location, do the same with each missing file.

    >I did as instructed. After the reboot the LAN adapter is not present in
    > internet connection and there was a yellow mark next to the adapter name
    > indicating an error. "Windows could not load driver.
    >

    > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    >
    >> That's Firewire it should not be part of the problem but who knows. Go
    >> ahead
    >> and delete it as it will be redetected and installed on reboot.
    >>
    >> --

    >> "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks. There is a 1394 netadapter installed, do I do anything with
    >> > that?

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I'm stuck. I can't get rid of the device. I downloaded new drivers but they
    will not install. When I reboot, the system finds new hardware but can't
    properly install the drivers. I get the following error message: "There is
    a problem installing the hardware. An error occured during the installation.
    The system cound not find the file specified." Is there a work around to
    delete the adapter? Arggghhhh!

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > If you have the driver then install it. If you don't you can download them
    > from the manufacture website or you can use the one currently on your
    > system. To do this right click on the adapter in the device manager and
    > choose update driver. When it asks for a location of the driver give it
    > windows/system32/drivers. If it does not find the driver in that location
    > then it will tell you the name of the driver it is looking for. Do a search
    > on your system for that driver and when found point the installer to that
    > location, do the same with each missing file.

    > "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I did as instructed. After the reboot the LAN adapter is not present in
    > > internet connection and there was a yellow mark next to the adapter name
    > > indicating an error. "Windows could not load driver.
    > >

    > > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    > >
    > >> That's Firewire it should not be part of the problem but who knows. Go
    > >> ahead
    > >> and delete it as it will be redetected and installed on reboot.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>

    > >> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    > >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
    > >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
    > >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
    > >>

    > >> "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Well there is one way that may do it but it involves registry edits. First
    try it in safe mode, if no go then download this free registry editor. Use
    it to search for the adapter and delete what it finds. Be specific when you
    search so that it finds only that adapter and verify each key before you
    delete anything. Anything with " ENUM" in the name you should be able to
    safely delete. Start with that. Reboot when you are done and it will be
    redetected, see if it will install. Before you start back up your registry
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756 as this program does not make back
    ups.
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/reglite.exe

    > I'm stuck. I can't get rid of the device. I downloaded new drivers but
    > they
    > will not install. When I reboot, the system finds new hardware but can't
    > properly install the drivers. I get the following error message: "There
    > is
    > a problem installing the hardware. An error occured during the
    > installation.
    > The system cound not find the file specified." Is there a work around to
    > delete the adapter? Arggghhhh!
    >
    > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    >
    >> If you have the driver then install it. If you don't you can download
    >> them
    >> from the manufacture website or you can use the one currently on your
    >> system. To do this right click on the adapter in the device manager and
    >> choose update driver. When it asks for a location of the driver give it
    >> windows/system32/drivers. If it does not find the driver in that location
    >> then it will tell you the name of the driver it is looking for. Do a
    >> search
    >> on your system for that driver and when found point the installer to that
    >> location, do the same with each missing file.
    >>
    >> --

    >> "Ty" <Ty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I did as instructed. After the reboot the LAN adapter is not present in
    >> > internet connection and there was a yellow mark next to the adapter
    >> > name
    >> > indicating an error. "Windows could not load driver.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Search by the name that shows in the device manager.

Desktops Configuration Windows XP