Can't see new HD

Tags:
  • HD
  • Windows XP
August 4, 2005 9:38:31 PM

I just installed a new Seagate 120G HD ATA/100. OS is XP Home. Computer
eMachine T2984. The drive shows up in the cmos but not in My Computer or
my file manager - so I can't use it. I tried Add Hardware in the Control
Panel with no success. When I booted after installing the HD it said
'found new hardware', then 'found new disk drive' - or words to that
effect. I tried the HD jumper set to CS (as suggested by eMachine manual)
and currently Slave (as suggested by Seagate manual) .

First time I ever had a problem with installing a HD. I added one to my
other XP Compaq machine some time ago with no problems.

Suggestions?

TIA

--
Untie the two knots to email me

"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't
permanent." Jean Kerr

More about : question

Anonymous
August 4, 2005 9:38:32 PM

Did you initialize and format the drive in Disk Management?

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Ken Knecht" <kenkknot@deruknot.com> wrote in message
> I just installed a new Seagate 120G HD ATA/100. OS is XP Home. Computer
> eMachine T2984. The drive shows up in the cmos but not in My Computer or
> my file manager - so I can't use it. I tried Add Hardware in the Control
> Panel with no success. When I booted after installing the HD it said
> 'found new hardware', then 'found new disk drive' - or words to that
> effect. I tried the HD jumper set to CS (as suggested by eMachine manual)
> and currently Slave (as suggested by Seagate manual) .
>
> First time I ever had a problem with installing a HD. I added one to my
> other XP Compaq machine some time ago with no problems.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Untie the two knots to email me
>
> "Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't
> permanent." Jean Kerr
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 9:46:18 PM

The new drive also shows up in the Device Manager which says it's working
properly. ???

Ken

--
Untie the two knots to email me

"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't
permanent." Jean Kerr
August 5, 2005 8:38:52 PM

Thanks. That got it! First time I ever used that utility. Wonder how I
installed a HD in a different XP machine a year or two ago. Ah well, as
long as it works.

"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in news:o 7aJv0RmFHA.2976
@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

> Did you initialize and format the drive in Disk Management?

--
Untie the two knots to email me

"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't
permanent." Jean Kerr
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 8:38:53 PM

Glad to help.