Can't see new HD

I just installed a new Seagate 120G HD ATA/100. OS is XP Home. Computer
eMachine T2984. The drive shows up in the cmos but not in My Computer or
my file manager - so I can't use it. I tried Add Hardware in the Control
Panel with no success. When I booted after installing the HD it said
'found new hardware', then 'found new disk drive' - or words to that
effect. I tried the HD jumper set to CS (as suggested by eMachine manual)
and currently Slave (as suggested by Seagate manual) .

First time I ever had a problem with installing a HD. I added one to my
other XP Compaq machine some time ago with no problems.

Suggestions?

TIA

--
Untie the two knots to email me

"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't
permanent." Jean Kerr
4 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Did you initialize and format the drive in Disk Management?

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "Ken Knecht" <kenkknot@deruknot.com> wrote in message
    > I just installed a new Seagate 120G HD ATA/100. OS is XP Home. Computer
    > eMachine T2984. The drive shows up in the cmos but not in My Computer or
    > my file manager - so I can't use it. I tried Add Hardware in the Control
    > Panel with no success. When I booted after installing the HD it said
    > 'found new hardware', then 'found new disk drive' - or words to that
    > effect. I tried the HD jumper set to CS (as suggested by eMachine manual)
    > and currently Slave (as suggested by Seagate manual) .
    >
    > First time I ever had a problem with installing a HD. I added one to my
    > other XP Compaq machine some time ago with no problems.
    >
    > Suggestions?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > --
    > Untie the two knots to email me
    >
    > "Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't
    > permanent." Jean Kerr

    The new drive also shows up in the Device Manager which says it's working
    properly. ???

    Ken

    --
    Untie the two knots to email me

    "Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't
    permanent." Jean Kerr

    Thanks. That got it! First time I ever used that utility. Wonder how I
    installed a HD in a different XP machine a year or two ago. Ah well, as
    long as it works.

    "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in news:O7aJv0RmFHA.2976
    @TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

    > Did you initialize and format the drive in Disk Management?

    --
    Untie the two knots to email me

    "Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't
    permanent." Jean Kerr

    Glad to help.

    --

    > Thanks. That got it! First time I ever used that utility. Wonder how I
    > installed a HD in a different XP machine a year or two ago. Ah well, as
    > long as it works.
    >
    > "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in news:O7aJv0RmFHA.2976
    > @TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
    >
    > > Did you initialize and format the drive in Disk Management?
    > >

    > --
    > Untie the two knots to email me
    >
    > "Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't
    > permanent." Jean Kerr

HD Windows XP