program run problem XP Home edition

Alan

I now have a number of programs which used to work fine that bring up the
error message :

"16 bit Windows subsystem
c:\windows\system32\autoexec.NT
The system file is not suitable for running ms-dos and microsoft windows
applications"

Any clues where this problem has come from?
And how to fix it.
Thanks

Hi

Please see if the following article helps:

"Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
program"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Alan" <Alan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I now have a number of programs which used to work fine that bring up the
> error message :
>
> "16 bit Windows subsystem
> c:\windows\system32\autoexec.NT
> The system file is not suitable for running ms-dos and microsoft windows
> applications"
>
> Any clues where this problem has come from?
> And how to fix it.
> Thanks

My XP Home Edition was working fine up to a few months ago. The only problem
I seem to have is that the "HELP" function does not load up. It seems to
start the process, for about a few seconds, then it stop -- nothing happens.
I also noticed that "HELP" for Excel and MS Word is not loading up.

What may have happen: I loaded McAfee Anti-spy ware and at one point I may
have deleted some files [using McAfee Anti-spy] which McAfee indicated could
be "anti spy" programs. It may be these were the HELP files?

Does anyone out there know how to fix this? Can I reload XP again without
losing hard drive data or programs?
--
Thank you,

Al Andrews