Sign in with
Your question

Computer keeps crashing once logged in Win 7

Last response: in Windows 7
July 17, 2010 12:26:42 AM

Hi, I've been having this problem for a couple of weeks now. Once i log in, the PC hangs after 20 seconds approximately. It hangs on the login screen if i don't login too. IT works fine in the Safe mode and safe mode with networking too. I tried installing a fresh copy on the system partition but I could not as the parition menu in Win7 setup said I cant format C drive as drivers for that drive are not loaded :s. The computer restarts soon after that and just hangs on the BIOS screen, while detecting SATA drives

Please help
a b $ Windows 7
July 17, 2010 12:59:34 AM

You have several problems here, the first is that your Windows installation is hanging in normal mode but working in safe mode. The first thing that I would try would be to boot into safe mode and perform a system restore to a time before the hanging started. If this fails to fix the problem then I would try a virus scan by Malwarebytes anti virus software which you can download a free version from their web site. If this still doesn’t fix the problem then by using msconfig I would remove all start-up items. If none of this works then post back here and I will advise you on how to reinstall Windows.

m
l
July 17, 2010 2:26:12 PM

I can't use system restore since I do not have any auto restore points, neither did i create any restore points manually. I've dloaded the malwarebytes anti virus software but cannot update. The updates keeps giving an error message despite me updating the proxy setting, as I'm sitting behind a proxy server

MBAM_Error_updating (122, 0, MultiByteToWideChar)

The data area passed to a system call is too fall.

ABove is the error message i get when i try updating. I have the screen grab of it if it helps, don't know how i post that here. Nevertheless Im running the scanner without updating meanwhile
m
l
Related resources
July 17, 2010 3:22:37 PM

pjmelect said:
You have several problems here, the first is that your Windows installation is hanging in normal mode but working in safe mode. The first thing that I would try would be to boot into safe mode and perform a system restore to a time before the hanging started. If this fails to fix the problem then I would try a virus scan by Malwarebytes anti virus software which you can download a free version from their web site. If this still doesn’t fix the problem then by using msconfig I would remove all start-up items. If none of this works then post back here and I will advise you on how to reinstall Windows.

I tried all three suggestions. Scan showed no infected items. just 4, 3 of them were software and one was a registery key of yahoo messenger. I turned off everything in msconfig, the computer powered off abruptly after loggin in normal mode. On the second attempt, it hanged just like before
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2010 2:48:10 AM

After rereading all of your posts here several times I have changed my mind about the cause of your problem. I no longer think that you have a software problem; I think that you have a hardware problem. Your computer is doing some strange things that can’t be explained by just a software or virus problem. The simplest explanation that would explain all of your problems is a faulty power supply not being able to supply enough current. Substitution of the power supply would be my recommendation for your next step.
m
l
!