Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

I have Win XP Home on my labtop and would like to unistall it and Install Win
2000 pro. How can I do this with out Formating the hard drive? Amd I have
another labtop with Win 2000 Pro that I would like to upgrade it to XP Home.
How can I do this with out Formating?

You cannot install Windows 2000 unless you delete the existing
Windows XP Home Edition partition, create a new partition,
format the partition NTFS, and perform a "Clean Install" of
Windows 2000.

Also, you cannot upgrade an existing Windows 2000
installation to Windows XP Home Edition. Only
Windows XP Professional can upgrade over Windows 2000.

Clean Install Windows XP

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"Jason" wrote:

| I have Win XP Home on my labtop and would like to unistall it and Install Win
| 2000 pro. How can I do this with out Formating the hard drive? Amd I have
| another labtop with Win 2000 Pro that I would like to upgrade it to XP Home.
| How can I do this with out Formating?

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

how would I install Windows XP Professional over Windows 2000. and can I
install win 2000 if the OS was XP Pro? Do you know why MS set it up like this?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> You cannot install Windows 2000 unless you delete the existing
> Windows XP Home Edition partition, create a new partition,
> format the partition NTFS, and perform a "Clean Install" of
> Windows 2000.
>
> Also, you cannot upgrade an existing Windows 2000
> installation to Windows XP Home Edition. Only
> Windows XP Professional can upgrade over Windows 2000.
>
> Clean Install Windows XP
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Jason" wrote:
>
> | I have Win XP Home on my labtop and would like to unistall it and Install Win
> | 2000 pro. How can I do this with out Formating the hard drive? Amd I have
> | another labtop with Win 2000 Pro that I would like to upgrade it to XP Home.
> | How can I do this with out Formating?

1. Purchase a "Retail Upgrade Version" of Windows XP Professional.

2. While at your Windows 2000 desktop, insert the Windows XP Professional
CD in the CD drive and select the default "Upgrade" setup option.

3. You cannot install an older operating system, such as Windows 2000,
over any newer operating system, such as Windows XP.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Jason" wrote:

| how would I install Windows XP Professional over Windows 2000. and can I
| install win 2000 if the OS was XP Pro? Do you know why MS set it up like this?
|

| "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Thank you , I got an XP Pro CD but when I go to install in on the 2000 pro PC
Its said upgrade is not sopouted and would like me to do a full (Advance)
install

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Purchase a "Retail Upgrade Version" of Windows XP Professional.
>
> 2. While at your Windows 2000 desktop, insert the Windows XP Professional
> CD in the CD drive and select the default "Upgrade" setup option.
>
> 3. You cannot install an older operating system, such as Windows 2000,
> over any newer operating system, such as Windows XP.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Jason" wrote:
>
> | how would I install Windows XP Professional over Windows 2000. and can I
> | install win 2000 if the OS was XP Pro? Do you know why MS set it up like this?
> |

> | "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

OK, is this a "LEGAL" XP Pro "UPGRADE" Cd? or is it something else or an OEM
version?
Frank L

"Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thank you , I got an XP Pro CD but when I go to install in on the 2000 pro
> PC
> Its said upgrade is not sopouted and would like me to do a full (Advance)
> install
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> 1. Purchase a "Retail Upgrade Version" of Windows XP Professional.
>>
>> 2. While at your Windows 2000 desktop, insert the Windows XP
>> Professional
>> CD in the CD drive and select the default "Upgrade" setup option.
>>
>> 3. You cannot install an older operating system, such as Windows 2000,
>> over any newer operating system, such as Windows XP.
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> "Jason" wrote:
>>
>> | how would I install Windows XP Professional over Windows 2000. and can
>> | install win 2000 if the OS was XP Pro? Do you know why MS set it up
>> like this?

Jim

> how would I install Windows XP Professional over Windows 2000. and can I
> install win 2000 if the OS was XP Pro? Do you know why MS set it up like
this?

Going from XP to Win 2000 is a step backward as far as Microsoft is
concerned. None of these things are backward compatible.
Jim

http://tinyurl.com/az88m
Pay no attention to Evadne Cake, AKA, Miss Perspicacia Tick .She gets her
kicks treating others poorly and laughing at their questions and misfortunes
in these newsgroups, providing no real help at all.
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
IFC

>I have Win XP Home on my labtop and would like to unistall it and Install
>Win
> 2000 pro. How can I do this with out Formating the hard drive? Amd I have
> another labtop with Win 2000 Pro that I would like to upgrade it to XP
> Home.
> How can I do this with out Formating?

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 22:11:02 +0100, Jason wrote
(in article <E785944B-917B-47C1-B92C-27DCE05AAF37@microsoft.com>):

> I have Win XP Home on my labtop and would like to unistall it and Install Win

> 2000 pro. How can I do this with out Formating the hard drive? Amd I have
> another labtop with Win 2000 Pro that I would like to upgrade it to XP Home.
> How can I do this with out Formating?

1) WTF is a "labtop" [sic]?! A top that can only be worn by a Labrador
retriever? Or only in a laboratory...? Oh, you meant *LAPTOP*. Do learn how
to spell...There are also *TWO* 'Ts' in formatting (and it doesn't require a
capital letter).

2) If the *laPtop* upon which XP Home is installed came with it installed,
then it is OEM and tied to that computer forever - it may *NOT* be installed
on any other. Read the EULA. This would also apply to 2000 if it came with a
system.

3) You cannot - 2000 is a professional OS and Home is a "home" OS for want of
a better word, but 2000 is older than XP, and you cannot downgrade a newer OS
to an older one. You also cannot upgrade 2000 Pro to XP Home (XP Home is the
upgrade to the 98/ME line - to upgrade Windows 2000 you need XP Pro).

"Evadne Cake" <sarah.balfour@craigy34.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 22:11:02 +0100, Jason wrote
> (in article <E785944B-917B-47C1-B92C-27DCE05AAF37@microsoft.com>):
>
>> I have Win XP Home on my labtop and would like to unistall it and Install
>> Win
>
>> 2000 pro. How can I do this with out Formating the hard drive? Amd I have
>> another labtop with Win 2000 Pro that I would like to upgrade it to XP
>> Home.
>> How can I do this with out Formating?
>
> 1) WTF is a "labtop" [sic]?! A top that can only be worn by a Labrador
> retriever? Or only in a laboratory...? Oh, you meant *LAPTOP*. Do learn
> how
> to spell...There are also *TWO* 'Ts' in formatting (and it doesn't require
> capital letter).
>
> 2) If the *laPtop* upon which XP Home is installed came with it installed,
> then it is OEM and tied to that computer forever - it may *NOT* be
> installed
> on any other. Read the EULA. This would also apply to 2000 if it came
> with a
> system.
>
> 3) You cannot - 2000 is a professional OS and Home is a "home" OS for want
> of
> a better word, but 2000 is older than XP, and you cannot downgrade a newer
> OS
> to an older one. You also cannot upgrade 2000 Pro to XP Home (XP Home is
> the
> upgrade to the 98/ME line - to upgrade Windows 2000 you need XP Pro).

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 00:05:02 +0100, Jason wrote
(in article <23F07F77-F233-4C8D-B178-41043344DAF5@microsoft.com>):

> Thank you , I got an XP Pro CD but when I go to install in on the 2000 pro PC

> Its said upgrade is not sopouted and would like me to do a full (Advance)
> install

Yes, that's because it's an OEM licence - OEM licences *CANNOT* be used to
upgrade (because they were designed for installation on new systems and,
therefore, there was nothing to upgrade). If the licence came from an
existing system (i.e. you didn't purchase it sealed as new) then it's forever
tied to the system it was sold with (as with all OEM licences). Read the
EULA.

2) It's spelt "supported".

Jason wrote:
> I have Win XP Home on my labtop and would like to unistall it and Install Win
> 2000 pro. How can I do this with out Formating the hard drive?

You can't. Simply boot from the Win2K installation CD. You'll be
offered the opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part
of the installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of
boot devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

> Amd I have
> another labtop with Win 2000 Pro that I would like to upgrade it to XP Home.
> How can I do this with out Formating?

You can't. Win2K can be upgraded to WinXP Pro, but not to WinXP Home.

Simply boot from the WinXP Home installation CD. You'll be offered
the opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part of the
installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

HOW TO Install Windows XP

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Jason wrote:
> how would I install Windows XP Professional over Windows 2000.

Insert either a retail full WinXP Pro installation CD or a retail WinXP
Pro Upgrade CD and follow the on-screen instructions and prompts.

> and can I
> install win 2000 if the OS was XP Pro?

No, a clean installation is still required.

>Do you know why MS set it up like this?

Because the normal way to "uninstall" any operating system is to
format the hard drive and install a new OS of your choice. This is true
of any company's operating systems, not just Microsoft's. I've never
heard of any OS manufacturer that provides a built-in means of
downgrading the OS to an older or less capable OS.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm