Lou

on a drive with many partitions, will reformatting the c: partition erase the
other partitions......and if not should i use fdisk because windows setup
won't format the partiton

Lou

Lou wrote:
> on a drive with many partitions, will reformatting the c: partition erase the
> other partitions......and if not should i use fdisk because windows setup
> won't format the partiton

No, however if you are booting your OS from the C: drive you cannot
format that drive from within your OS i.e you need to use a boot disk
or CD to format C: if that is where your OS resides.

FDISK is not a formating tool, it is a partioning tool and using it
incorrectly could erase all your other partitions

Lou

"GreenieLeBrun" wrote:

> Lou wrote:
> > on a drive with many partitions, will reformatting the c: partition erase the
> > other partitions......and if not should i use fdisk because windows setup
> > won't format the partiton
>
> No, however if you are booting your OS from the C: drive you cannot
> format that drive from within your OS i.e you need to use a boot disk
> or CD to format C: if that is where your OS resides.
>
> FDISK is not a formating tool, it is a partioning tool and using it
> incorrectly could erase all your other partitions
>
> thanks i will try this

What is your real goal ? There's a few things off here. Windows setup can do a clean install on your first partition (C drive).
Obviously you know that would overwrite what you currently have on C.

The other issues --- if addressed in isolation -- by themselves -- reformatting 1 partition will not affect the others. Each partition is considered as a separate unit.

XP does not have Fdisk. It has (1) a GUI-based Windows app "Disk Management" and (2) the Recovery Console has DISKPART command.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> What is your real goal ? There's a few things off here. Windows setup can do a clean install on your first partition (C drive).
> Obviously you know that would overwrite what you currently have on C.
>
> The other issues --- if addressed in isolation -- by themselves -- reformatting 1 partition will not affect the others. Each partition is considered as a separate unit.
>
> XP does not have Fdisk. It has (1) a GUI-based Windows app "Disk Management" and (2) the Recovery Console has DISKPART command.

thanks for the reply ...I think i will try a boot disk as greenie suggested
i just did not want to lose my other partitions

> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>
> Lou wrote:
> > on a drive with many partitions, will reformatting the c: partition
> > erase the other partitions......and if not should i use fdisk because
> > windows setup won't format the partiton

TRENDING THREADS