Java Hates me

ive downloaded Java about 50 times now and i still can not use it on web
sites. im trying to make a webpage on geocities.com but it says i need
java to operate the PageBuilder program. so i downloaded Java. i know
i downloaded the right version so dont tell me that. and java is on my
computer. its downloaded. i have it. its here. but for some reason
when i go to any site that requires java i cant access it for some
reason

please someone help me out. is there some kinda option i need to change
or something to get java to work on my computer?

and please, dont be vague. if u tell me to do something explain it to
me cause im not very good at knowing things about computers.

it would also be helpfull if u could email me as well at
bradywurtz@yahoo.com

--
bradywurtz
6 answers Last reply

    "" wrote:
    > ive downloaded Java about 50 times now and i still can not use
    > it on web
    > sites. im trying to make a webpage on geocities.com but it
    > says i need
    > java to operate the PageBuilder program. so i downloaded
    > Java. i know
    > i downloaded the right version so dont tell me that. and java
    > is on my
    > computer. its downloaded. i have it. its here. but for some
    > reason
    > when i go to any site that requires java i cant access it for
    > some
    > reason
    >
    > please someone help me out. is there some kinda option i need
    > to change
    > or something to get java to work on my computer?
    >
    > and please, dont be vague. if u tell me to do something
    > explain it to
    > me cause im not very good at knowing things about computers.
    >
    > it would also be helpfull if u could email me as well at
    > bradywurtz@yahoo.com
    >

    > --
    > bradywurtz

    What browser are you using, I’d surget you don’t use IE as it is
    quite a chore to get Java working.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Java-Hates-ftopict404776.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1341301

    bradywurtz Wrote:
    > ive downloaded Java about 50 times now and i still can not use it on web
    > sites. im trying to make a webpage on geocities.com but it says i need
    > java to operate the PageBuilder program. so i downloaded Java. i know
    > i downloaded the right version so dont tell me that. and java is on my
    > computer. its downloaded. i have it. its here. but for some reason
    > when i go to any site that requires java i cant access it for some
    > reason
    >
    > please someone help me out. is there some kinda option i need to change
    > or something to get java to work on my computer?
    >
    > and please, dont be vague. if u tell me to do something explain it to
    > me cause im not very good at knowing things about computers.
    >
    > it would also be helpfull if u could email me as well at
    > bradywurtz@yahoo.com

    Hi,
    First off, I know you said you have the right version of Java, but
    frankly not stating what version you have/where you got it from and
    also saying you "cause im not very good at knowing things about
    computers." doesn't fill me with loads of confidence. No offence,
    really, so just incase I have provided 2 links

    Java 1.5.0 (What I use :-))
    http://tinyurl.com/dtwq8

    Java 1.4.2 (I think this is considered more "stable" as its more
    "mature")
    http://tinyurl.com/5dh3p

    At either of the above links, Accept the agreement it asks, then
    download "Windows Offline Installation, Multi-language".

    Anyway, I would personally ask you to uninstall whatever you have
    installed and install one of the above.

    I am working on the assumption you are using Internet Explorer. So
    anyway, once you have installed one of the above, launch Internet
    Explort. A quick check to see if its successful is to click the "Tools"
    menu at the top and see if it has the option "Sun Java Console". If so
    it should work.

    If its not there or still not working, then click on "Tools" menu again
    and click "Internet Options". A Window will open, at the top of it click
    on the "Advanced" tab. Loads of tick boxes appear. Scroll down about
    half way, you should see a bit that says "Java (Sun)" followed by a
    tickbox labelled "Use JRE 1.5.0_04 for <applet> (Requires Restart)" or
    "Use JRE 1.4.2_8 for <applet> (Requires Restart)", depending which of
    the above you installed. Make sure the box is ticked. If it is not,
    then tick it and click apply. Then click ok, close internet explorer
    and reopen, see if that helps.

    Good luck

    --
    adz21c

    bradywurtz wrote:
    > ive downloaded Java about 50 times now and i still can not use it on web
    > sites. im trying to make a webpage on geocities.com but it says i need
    > java to operate the PageBuilder program.

    Is there any particular reason that you posting this question in a
    Windows newsgroup, rather than asking Geocities' support staff for
    assistance using their product?

    > so i downloaded Java. i know
    > i downloaded the right version so dont tell me that. and java is on my
    > computer. its downloaded. i have it. its here. but for some reason
    > when i go to any site that requires java i cant access it for some
    > reason
    >
    > please someone help me out. is there some kinda option i need to change
    > or something to get java to work on my computer?

    Well, yes. Besides "downloading" the right version of JAVA, you also
    have to install it. Have you done so, following the instructions provided?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Email sent to me by bradywurtz
    bradywurtz Wrote:

    > > i think i already told you that i downloaded that.
    > > infact, i think i made it clear in my forum statement
    > > when i said "i know i downloaded the right version so
    > > dont tell me that. and java is on my computer. its
    > > downloaded. i have it. its here."
    > > im soooo sorrrryy i didnt tell you what version i
    > > downloaded but ive been to that ****ing link you sent
    > > me a million times. and how do i know i already
    > > downloaded what you sent me?? because when i clicked
    > > to download it it asked me if i wanted to replace that
    > > with the other program i downloaded that has THE SAME
    > > EXACT NAME!
    > > if all you were going to do to help me out was to
    > > ignore what i told you not to tell me and tell me that
    > > then thanks for nothing. maybe if you wernt a f***ing
    > > idiot and could read you would have been of more help.

    I am sorry if I insulted you but that was not my intention. I did read
    your whole post and was aware you had the "right version". However
    saying you had the "right version" wasn't helpful enough for me to
    ATTEMPT to offer a solution or even start to gather information on why
    you may be having this problem. This is because more
    companys/organisations than Sun create Java implementations, I wasn't
    sure if you have Sun Java or another one. If you had one other than
    Sun, you would still be able to have the "right version", but since I
    have no experience with implementations other than Sun, I was just
    making sure you had the same "right version" that I was using,
    otherwise my "possible solution" would have been useless. I was simply
    being thorough.

    As a side note I would agree with Sparda your probably better off with
    a different web browser, IE is a pain to get working if it doesn't work
    correctly from the start.

    --
    adz21c

    Sounds like bradywurtz is not too bright or appreciative of your attempts to
    help. Mighty short temper toward people who're trying to help him.

    "adz21c" <adz21c.1tah1q@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Email sent to me by bradywurtz
    > bradywurtz Wrote:
    >>
    >> > i think i already told you that i downloaded that.
    >> > infact, i think i made it clear in my forum statement
    >> > when i said "i know i downloaded the right version so
    >> > dont tell me that. and java is on my computer. its
    >> > downloaded. i have it. its here."
    >> > im soooo sorrrryy i didnt tell you what version i
    >> > downloaded but ive been to that ****ing link you sent
    >> > me a million times. and how do i know i already
    >> > downloaded what you sent me?? because when i clicked
    >> > to download it it asked me if i wanted to replace that
    >> > with the other program i downloaded that has THE SAME
    >> > EXACT NAME!
    >> > if all you were going to do to help me out was to
    >> > ignore what i told you not to tell me and tell me that
    >> > then thanks for nothing. maybe if you wernt a f***ing
    >> > idiot and could read you would have been of more help.
    >>

    > I am sorry if I insulted you but that was not my intention. I did read
    > your whole post and was aware you had the "right version". However
    > saying you had the "right version" wasn't helpful enough for me to
    > ATTEMPT to offer a solution or even start to gather information on why
    > you may be having this problem. This is because more
    > companys/organisations than Sun create Java implementations, I wasn't
    > sure if you have Sun Java or another one. If you had one other than
    > Sun, you would still be able to have the "right version", but since I
    > have no experience with implementations other than Sun, I was just
    > making sure you had the same "right version" that I was using,
    > otherwise my "possible solution" would have been useless. I was simply
    > being thorough.
    >
    > As a side note I would agree with Sparda your probably better off with
    > a different web browser, IE is a pain to get working if it doesn't work
    > correctly from the start.
    >

    > --
    > adz21c

Java Microsoft Windows XP