Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I need to convert back to fat32 from ntfs how do I reinstall XP Pro?
I have just on large Partition. Can I just install new filesystem?

You need to run the fdisk program at boot from a 98se boot disk and setup the
HD for fat32 that way.

http://www.computerhope.com/fdiskhlp.htm

j;-)

Tom wrote:
> I need to convert back to fat32 from ntfs how do I reinstall XP Pro?
> I have just on large Partition. Can I just install new filesystem?

While there is a conversion process to go from FAT32 to NTFS, there isn't
one to go the other way. You will need to back up any data you want to keep
and perform a clean Windows installation (choosing FAT32).

That said, there are very few circumstances I can think of where this would
be a good idea or truly necessary -- what are you trying to do that leads
you to believe you should be using FAT32?

--
Chris Priede (priede@panix.com)

Why?

Jaymon wrote:
> You need to run the fdisk program at boot from a 98se boot disk and setup the
> HD for fat32 that way.

Nonsense. FDisk is an old MS-DOS utility that isn't used or needed on a
WinXP computer.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Tom wrote:
> I need to convert back to fat32 from ntfs how do I reinstall XP Pro?
> I have just on large Partition. Can I just install new filesystem?

The only support means of changing a file system from NTFS to FAT32 is
to delete the NTFS partition and create a new FAT32 partition in it's
place. But why would you want to take such a giant step backwards?
What, specifically, are you trying to accomplish?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Tom may be trying to remove the excessive, wasted storage of previous
installations. I'm dealing with the same thing myself. My new install of XP
Pro was 18.6gb as a result of 2 installs of XP Pro and one install of 98SE.
Just because it says new install doesn't mean it will remove old installs. XP
requires an OS to be installed so it can be installed. 98SE can't be
installed on ntfs, so therefor you need to convert back to fat32 to format
and install 98 so you can install XP