Dell Shipping: Hmmmmm $160 or Free, hmmmm?

It is outrageous that by the time I get to find those refurbished deals on
Dell's website, add it to my cart, and get ready to check out, I get to peek
at the shipping charges.

Can you believe $100 for ground service? If they are paying more than $20,
they are getting robbed.

WTF?

So I can find the bargain that I want, but they want to rape me on shipping.

The new ones, I see them with *free* freight, but only if I spend over
$400????

It's all new to me.

However, being a veteran of ebay and catalog shopping, I am a little used to
the "man" making money on shipping, but - when is enough enough?
27 answers Last reply
More about dell shipping hmmmmm free hmmmm

    I just added to cart a cheap ($219.00) dimension 2400 system
    from the small business division refrubs. It DID add $99.00 shipping
    BUT did take $50.00 off of that shipping charge for a total of $49.00
    shipping. Honestly, you just have to shop for the deal you
    want at the price you want including shipping, tax, warranty etc.
    Dave

    Yes, that is outrageous! No, Dell does not pay $100 for ground shipping.
    More like $10, at the most. Since they ship an incredible volume of
    packages, they have worked deals with Fed Ex and UPS. I believe they prefer
    to use Fed Ex.

    That being said, if you pick up the phone and give the guys in sales a call,
    you can deal with them. I have made purchases for several friends and
    clients and have never paid for shipping the primary package, which is
    usually the tower or laptop. In a couple of cases, I got Dell to waive all
    shipping costs entirely.

    "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Yes, that is outrageous! No, Dell does not pay $100 for ground shipping.
    > More like $10, at the most. Since they ship an incredible volume of
    > packages, they have worked deals with Fed Ex and UPS. I believe they
    prefer
    > to use Fed Ex.
    >
    > That being said, if you pick up the phone and give the guys in sales a
    call,
    > you can deal with them. I have made purchases for several friends and
    > clients and have never paid for shipping the primary package, which is
    > usually the tower or laptop. In a couple of cases, I got Dell to waive
    all
    > shipping costs entirely.
    >
    > "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > It is outrageous that by the time I get to find those refurbished deals
    on
    > > Dell's website, add it to my cart, and get ready to check out, I get to
    > peek
    > > at the shipping charges.
    > >
    > > Can you believe $100 for ground service? If they are paying more than
    > $20,
    > > they are getting robbed.
    > >
    > > WTF?
    > >
    > > So I can find the bargain that I want, but they want to rape me on
    > shipping.
    > >
    > > The new ones, I see them with *free* freight, but only if I spend over
    > > $400????
    > >
    > > It's all new to me.
    > >
    > > However, being a veteran of ebay and catalog shopping, I am a little
    used
    > > the "man" making money on shipping, but - when is enough enough?

    Good insight. Thanks Special K. Now, if I can only manage Farsi when I
    call my "salesperson"...

    Kevin wrote:

    > Yes, that is outrageous! No, Dell does not pay $100 for ground shipping.
    > More like $10, at the most.

    Earth to Kevin, et al., Dell doesn't pay $500 for a $500 computer
    either. The point of running a business is that one charges his
    customers more than it costs to ship product, the difference is called
    "profit" and is the point of a for profit concern, contrast with a not
    for profit concern.

    I agree, 100 bucks to ship is outrageous.
    I have purchased 2 dells and would not have if I had to pay 100 bucks to
    ship.
    I always look for the free shipping on stuff. BTW F---- ebay.

    BigJim wrote:

    > I agree, 100 bucks to ship is outrageous.
    > I have purchased 2 dells and would not have if I had to pay 100 bucks to
    > ship.

    While free is *always* better, have you considered that the cost
    also includes insurance?

    Suddenly, $100 isn't so outrageous!

    Notan

    "BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I agree, 100 bucks to ship is outrageous.
    > I have purchased 2 dells and would not have if I had to pay 100 bucks to
    > ship.
    > I always look for the free shipping on stuff. BTW F---- ebay.

    Ebay is loaded with poorly rated sellers who low ball the listing price and
    then stick it to auction 'winners' on shipping (and also 'handling' in some
    cases).

    As a general rule, I can never recommend a newbie go up there for a system.
    The experienced, however, can navigate the posers from the genuinely good
    sellers and come out with some very good deals. Admittedly, the number of
    'good deals' is far outnumbered by traps/snares/scams, imo.

    Stew

    You mean like advertising and selling a low end computer for $399 and then
    charging $100 for ground shipment that likely costs them less than $25(and
    that is being generous). >g<

    > BigJim wrote:
    > >
    > > I agree, 100 bucks to ship is outrageous.
    > > I have purchased 2 dells and would not have if I had to pay 100 bucks to
    > > ship.
    >
    > While free is *always* better, have you considered that the cost
    > also includes insurance?
    >
    > Suddenly, $100 isn't so outrageous!
    >
    > Notan

    Note to Note. All the major OTR ground shippers >include< insurance up to
    $100 for free. Afterwards, it's pennies. We're not talking *casualty*
    insurance, we're talking *property*. Underwriters are aware of this.

    F-Ebay? How about F Lawyers. If you want to complain about insurance
    rates, stop electing Lawyers into political office.

    Irene wrote:

    > You mean like advertising and selling a low end computer for $399 and then
    > charging $100 for ground shipment that likely costs them less than $25(and
    > that is being generous). >g<
    >
    > <snip>

    You always have the option of purchasing a system, whose manufacturer
    ships "at their cost."

    Good luck finding one!

    Notan

    Yes, I know that. The point is that Dell, like any company that wants to
    make a buck, will mark up those shipping costs to cover their overhead and
    costs associated with shipping the item in question. Plus toss in a hefty
    percentage to beef up the bottom line. I believe our original poster was
    concerned that he was getting the short end of the stick when it came to
    shipping costs.

    "Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message
    > Kevin wrote:
    >
    > > Yes, that is outrageous! No, Dell does not pay $100 for ground
    shipping.
    > > More like $10, at the most.
    >
    > Earth to Kevin, et al., Dell doesn't pay $500 for a $500 computer
    > either. The point of running a business is that one charges his
    > customers more than it costs to ship product, the difference is called
    > "profit" and is the point of a for profit concern, contrast with a not
    > for profit concern.

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 21:07:08 -0400, "ng_reader"
    <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >It is outrageous that by the time I get to find those refurbished deals on
    >Dell's website, add it to my cart, and get ready to check out, I get to peek
    >at the shipping charges.
    >
    >Can you believe $100 for ground service? If they are paying more than $20,
    >they are getting robbed.

    The shipping was free on my referb. Guess it depends how many system
    they have on hand. If they have a back log I guess they ship for free
    to clear the inventory.

    Mike

    Right now it's any refurb over $350. Which is not so bad, I guess.

    Hey. What's the difference between the 4600 and the 4600C? It's not
    Celeron, is it?

    > Right now it's any refurb over $350. Which is not so bad, I guess.
    >
    > Hey. What's the difference between the 4600 and the 4600C? It's not
    > Celeron, is it?

    To answer my own question, I think it's the form factor. desktop vs
    minitower
    <snip>

    I've been dortunate to always get free shipping from dell.
    it's always been recently that they started playinggames with the
    shipping price. where they werecharging the last few days is now gone
    in most cases.
    i find their prices are cyclic, so wait a few days and always check
    back. when you really need something and they want to charge shipping,
    simply check the box that says zero 0.00 shipping and provide your own
    carrier express account number and you will be charged only 31 pounds of
    shipping worth, and specify ground. usually around $35.

    > "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Right now it's any refurb over $350. Which is not so bad, I guess.
    >>
    >> Hey. What's the difference between the 4600 and the 4600C? It's not
    >> Celeron, is it?
    >
    > To answer my own question, I think it's the form factor. desktop vs
    > minitower
    > <snip>

    4600C is not a desktop, per se. It's actually a slimline and uses a
    slimline optical drive. It's that small.

    Stew

    "Jay" <jay@audiman.net> wrote in message
    > I've been dortunate to always get free shipping from dell.
    > it's always been recently that they started playinggames with the
    > shipping price. where they werecharging the last few days is now gone
    > in most cases.
    > i find their prices are cyclic, so wait a few days and always check
    > back. when you really need something and they want to charge shipping,
    > simply check the box that says zero 0.00 shipping and provide your own
    > carrier express account number and you will be charged only 31 pounds of
    > shipping worth, and specify ground. usually around $35.

    The salesperson and I discussed this, and he told me (Rosco was his name,
    tee hee) that maybe they *did* have that option, but not now. That was after
    he was trying to call me a cheapskate for buying the least expensive one.

    So, I will re-navigate the website, and avoid people. Mostly, because, it
    turns out I dislike most of them.

    Or better yet, if you have the knowledge, "rolling" your own.

    > "Jay" <jay@audiman.net> wrote in message
    >> I've been dortunate to always get free shipping from dell.
    >> it's always been recently that they started playinggames with the
    >> shipping price. where they werecharging the last few days is now gone
    >> in most cases.
    >> i find their prices are cyclic, so wait a few days and always check
    >> back. when you really need something and they want to charge shipping,
    >> simply check the box that says zero 0.00 shipping and provide your own
    >> carrier express account number and you will be charged only 31 pounds of
    >> shipping worth, and specify ground. usually around $35.
    >
    > The salesperson and I discussed this, and he told me (Rosco was his name,
    > tee hee) that maybe they *did* have that option, but not now. That was
    > after
    > he was trying to call me a cheapskate for buying the least expensive one.
    >
    > So, I will re-navigate the website, and avoid people. Mostly, because, it
    > turns out I dislike most of them.

    If you order from small business, when you check out, you are given the
    option to enter your own account number for shipping.

    Never done it, as I have always, on every single purchase, waited for free
    shipping.

    Tom

    > "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Jay" <jay@audiman.net> wrote in message
    > >> I've been dortunate to always get free shipping from dell.
    > >> it's always been recently that they started playinggames with the
    > >> shipping price. where they werecharging the last few days is now gone
    > >> in most cases.
    > >> i find their prices are cyclic, so wait a few days and always check
    > >> back. when you really need something and they want to charge shipping,
    > >> simply check the box that says zero 0.00 shipping and provide your own
    > >> carrier express account number and you will be charged only 31 pounds
    of
    > >> shipping worth, and specify ground. usually around $35.
    > >
    > > The salesperson and I discussed this, and he told me (Rosco was his
    name,
    > > tee hee) that maybe they *did* have that option, but not now. That was
    > > after
    > > he was trying to call me a cheapskate for buying the least expensive
    one.

    > > So, I will re-navigate the website, and avoid people. Mostly, because,
    it
    > > turns out I dislike most of them.
    > >

    > If you order from small business, when you check out, you are given the
    > option to enter your own account number for shipping.
    >
    > Never done it, as I have always, on every single purchase, waited for free
    > shipping.
    >
    > Tom

    I think it has gotten to the point that the periods with free shipping
    outnumber the periods without free shipping. And the periods with free
    shipping have some other freebies with them as well so you're usually better
    off waiting for these freebie offering periods. At least that's my
    perception.

    "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Yes, that is outrageous! No, Dell does not pay $100 for ground shipping.
    > More like $10, at the most. Since they ship an incredible volume of
    > packages, they have worked deals with Fed Ex and UPS. I believe they
    > prefer
    > to use Fed Ex.

    If you believe they are shipping systems for as little as $10 , you are
    sadly mistaken. I can assure you that no matter what volume of business you
    may do with another company they will not give you such a deal as to 'lose'
    money on your business.

    > That being said, if you pick up the phone and give the guys in sales a
    > call,
    > you can deal with them. I have made purchases for several friends and
    > clients and have never paid for shipping the primary package, which is
    > usually the tower or laptop. In a couple of cases, I got Dell to waive
    > all
    > shipping costs entirely.

    This part you may be a little more on track with as I have done the same
    myself.

    "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > You mean like advertising and selling a low end computer for $399 and then
    > charging $100 for ground shipment that likely costs them less than $25(and
    > that is being generous). >g<

    The reason it is $399 is because it IS a low end computer...Want high
    end...pay the price
    They tell you up front how much the shipping is going to be... think it's
    too much...don't order.

    Do you do anything but whine in this group?

    You seem to have, again, missed the point. The reason that they can charge
    $399 is likely that they make the profit on the shipping. Do you have
    anything to do but make silly, inane comments to anyone who post the least
    little negative about Dell?

    "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message

    > "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> You mean like advertising and selling a low end computer for $399 and
    >> then charging $100 for ground shipment that likely costs them less than
    >> $25(and that is being generous). >g<
    >>

    > The reason it is $399 is because it IS a low end computer...Want high
    > end...pay the price
    > They tell you up front how much the shipping is going to be... think it's
    > too much...don't order.
    >
    > Do you do anything but whine in this group?

  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    But if you wait a week or so, you can get that SAME $399 machine with FREE
    SHIPPING.

    Patience is a virtue.

    Tom
    > You seem to have, again, missed the point. The reason that they can charge
    > $399 is likely that they make the profit on the shipping. Do you have
    > anything to do but make silly, inane comments to anyone who post the least
    > little negative about Dell?
    >
    > "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> You mean like advertising and selling a low end computer for $399 and
    >>> then charging $100 for ground shipment that likely costs them less than
    >>> $25(and that is being generous). >g<
    >>>

    >> The reason it is $399 is because it IS a low end computer...Want high
    >> end...pay the price
    >> They tell you up front how much the shipping is going to be... think it's
    >> too much...don't order.
    >>
    >> Do you do anything but whine in this group?

  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Probably very true. Particularly, the patience is a virtue part.

    > But if you wait a week or so, you can get that SAME $399 machine with FREE
    > SHIPPING.
    >
    > Patience is a virtue.
    >
    > Tom
    > "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> You seem to have, again, missed the point. The reason that they can
    >> charge $399 is likely that they make the profit on the shipping. Do you
    >> have anything to do but make silly, inane comments to anyone who post the
    >> least little negative about Dell?
    >>
    >> "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> The reason it is $399 is because it IS a low end computer...Want high
    >>> end...pay the price
    >>> They tell you up front how much the shipping is going to be... think
    >>> it's too much...don't order.
    >>>
    >>> Do you do anything but whine in this group?

Dell Ebay Computers