Valve Appeals Left 4 Dead 2 Ban in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

All they need to do is introduce an R18+ rating for games in Australia. Ppl will play the games anyway its just going to make it safer and more controlled.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
it's a game about shooting zombies isn't it? how in hell is that a bad thing? I wouldn't mind having a populace mentally trained and prepped for popping a zombie horde, would you?

charlesxuma

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
[citation][nom]rebel conquest[/nom]That's a very backward law :S[/citation]

seriously ..... i mean how stupid can it get..... this is by far the dumbest thing iv heard ..... (until the next dumbest country makes some new crap up) we'v got australia in #1 dumbest .... second we have germany in #2 ....... any one else for 3rd (new zealand or UK maybe) ?

.......to be continued

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Yes, because we all know how effective a training tool an FPS is for actual use of a firearm.

That and all these damn zombies running around...

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
And the government can also get the taxes on it.

Seriously, if I want to play L4D2 here what is stopping me from buying it digitally from overseas and playing on an overseas server? If the overseas retailer won't sell it to me then I'll just fire up utorrent and then everyone loses.

Just another example of how backward South Australia* is.

*The only reason we do not have R18+ games in Australia is because of the South Australian attorney-general Michael Atkinson is opposed to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Atkinson

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]B-Unit[/nom]Yes, because we all know how effective a training tool an FPS is for actual use of a firearm. That and all these damn zombies running around...[/citation]

Sarcasm exists you know, and mental preparation doesn't = training use with actual firearms

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]charlesxuma[/nom]seriously ..... i mean how stupid can it get..... this is by far the dumbest thing iv heard ..... (until the next dumbest country makes some new crap up) we'v got australia in #1 dumbest .... second we have germany in #2 ....... any one else for 3rd (new zealand or UK maybe) ? .......to be continued[/citation]

1. If that's the dumbest thing you've heard, you haven't seen your own posts.

2. Compared to things like the patent lawsuits, this is small apples for stupidity.

[citation][nom]the associate[/nom]Sarcasm exists you know, and mental preparation doesn't = training use with actual firearms[/citation]

... Wasn't he using sarcasm right there himself?

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Last week the Australian Classifications Board refused to classify Valve's upcoming zombie shooter sequel, banning the game based on its "realistic, frenetic, and unrelenting violence," a feature many FPS games of late actually share.

yes, because shooting zombies is real, against the law, and racist. they have feelings too.

no but seriously, its a rehash of the first game which came out not even a year ago, why do they make asses of themselves

Trashit

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Michael Atkinson > Common sense

Unfortunetlty Aus has laws that allow one person to ruin fun for every one. Solution: replace ingame zombie skins with Michael Atkinson. Then the whole world can have fun mowing down zombie Michael Atkinsons (which is actually closer to the real thing lol).

...patiently awaits L4D2....

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
In or out of topic:
All those adds of 'resident evil 5' lying around were really really really annoying me. They're built in such a way my 'hardware visual processor' and my 'software mental processor' can't automatically ignore, so I installed addblock just to feel free to read the articles. After that, peace at least. So much peace I actually forgot the name of the game and had to disable the filter to check it again for this comment.
NO! I won't be playing your game if you keep bombarding me like that!

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]trashit[/nom]Michael Atkinson > Common senseUnfortunetlty Aus has laws that allow one person to ruin fun for every one. Solution: replace ingame zombie skins with Michael Atkinson. Then the whole world can have fun mowing down zombie Michael Atkinsons (which is actually closer to the real thing lol)....patiently awaits L4D2....[/citation]

Brilliant idea!

Michael Atkinson is Australia's Jack Thompson (probably).

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]the associate[/nom]it's a game about shooting zombies isn't it? how in hell is that a bad thing? I wouldn't mind having a populace mentally trained and prepped for popping a zombie horde, would you?[/citation]
It's not about zombies, it's about (quoting the report) "living humans infected with a rabies-like virus that causes them to act violently." Now of course, no other games with gore have living humans. :sarcastic:

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]B-Unit[/nom]Yes, because we all know how effective a training tool an FPS is for actual use of a firearm. That and all these damn zombies running around...[/citation]

I headshot boom in games. =D
With an actual rifle, I can't hit the side of a fucking barn... so yeah...[citation][nom]sciencectn[/nom]Why ban violent games? Because humans TOTALLY weren't violent before video games![/citation]
ha
No, not at all...
Hey, who's up for some games in the colliseum? I'll bring the popcorn. Hope I catch some guys arm.

Trashit

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]Does Australia have a large zombie population that they are worried about offending?[/citation]

Why yes, we do have a large zombie population. We keep them in our capital building and just gave them a pay rise so they would leave our brains alone. Sadly though all we get in return is our games banned. This is to go with our nice filtered, capped and overpriced internets.

nisallik

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
[citation][nom]ryanb213[/nom]and yet a game like grand theft auto 4 isnt banned?[/citation]

In GTA4, you could kill people of all colors which was not discriminatory. In L4D2, you kill solely zombies... That is the problem. ;)

socrates047

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
hey guys stop fighting each other, us gamers need to unite in times like these, and fight (peaceful rallying or similar acts) for well crafted video games.

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
WTF is wrong with Australia? I used to think it'd be cool to live there, but they've got such a huge boner for censorship nowadays I think it's draining the blood form their collective brains. Fascism sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.