Upgrade to larger Hard Drive

I'd like to upgrade to a larger hard drive but I'm unable to clone (via
Norton Clone) to a larger disk. What would be the best way to accomplish
this? My current drive is 40GB and I'd like to upgrade to a 200GB. I've
already created a 40GB partition on the larger drive but Norton wasn't able
to handle this. I'd rather not have to reload all of my programs & data
files.

TIA
3 answers Last reply
More about upgrade larger hard drive

    "=?Utf-8?B?aGVsbG8=?=" <hello@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > I'd like to upgrade to a larger hard drive but I'm unable to clone
    > (via Norton Clone) to a larger disk. What would be the best way to
    > accomplish this? My current drive is 40GB and I'd like to upgrade to
    > a 200GB. I've already created a 40GB partition on the larger drive
    > but Norton wasn't able to handle this. I'd rather not have to reload
    > all of my programs & data files.
    >
    > TIA

    Make sure the new 40GB partition is really at least as big as the old one.
    A little bigger is preferable to a little smaller. The sizes may be getting
    rounded off when they are reported so you think the new one is bigger when
    it is really a little smaller. If the new 40GB partition is smaller than
    the old 40GB partition, then the clone process usually will not work.
    (Freespace on the old 40GB will not matter.) Alternatively, you can clone
    the 40GB drive to a 200GB partition on the new hard disk.

    New retail HDs usually come with a manufacturer's utility disk that can be used to prep the hard drive. The utility will allow you to create partitions, and copy partitions from old to new. If you cannot find your mfr's disks, search on their support website.

    Example: Maxtor has a utility called MaxBlast.

    Your copy of Norton Clone may be old --- has limitations, obviously.
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    "" wrote:
    > I'd like to upgrade to a larger hard drive but I'm unable to
    > clone (via
    > Norton Clone) to a larger disk. What would be the best way to
    > accomplish
    > this? My current drive is 40GB and I'd like to upgrade to a
    > 200GB. I've
    > already created a 40GB partition on the larger drive but
    > Norton wasn't able
    > to handle this. I'd rather not have to reload all of my
    > programs & data
    > files.
    >
    > TIA

    Couldnt you use the 40GB and 200GB hards at the same time? So you
    would continue to load/run windows off the 40GB hard drive and save
    things on to the 200GB hard drive.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Upgrade-larger-Hard-Drive-ftopict404858.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1341741

Norton Hard Drives Windows XP