  • Support
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
August 5, 2005 2:47:02 AM

In my user name field it shows that I have: 1 Unread mail message, even
though I have no mail in any boxes. how can I fix this?

More about : user field error

Anonymous
August 5, 2005 7:59:20 AM

Angie,

See our Ms Kelly's website, Kelly's XP Korner at
Look at tip # 100 "Disable Unread Mail on the Welcome Screen"

Kelly's main page is http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Angie wrote:
> In my user name field it shows that I have: 1 Unread mail message,
> even though I have no mail in any boxes. how can I fix this?
August 5, 2005 1:31:01 PM

I am new at computers, I am afraid to download anything, isn't there somthing
I can do besides that?

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> Angie,
>
> See our Ms Kelly's website, Kelly's XP Korner at
> Look at tip # 100 "Disable Unread Mail on the Welcome Screen"
>
> Kelly's main page is http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>
> Angie wrote:
> > In my user name field it shows that I have: 1 Unread mail message,
> > even though I have no mail in any boxes. how can I fix this?

August 5, 2005 10:48:18 PM

From the Windows Start button, select All Programs. Then review the list of programs shown. Look for Outlook Express. Click it.
It's just likely you have the 1 unread email, and it's likely to be the welcome message. Once viewed, close the program.

Next time you logon, see if that pesky message is gone.

What do you use to read and send email?

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Angie wrote:
> I am new at computers, I am afraid to download anything, isn't there
> somthing I can do besides that?

August 7, 2005 3:47:10 AM

Hi Maurice
I am using Microsoft office outlook 2003. I did have a welcome message but I
deleted it. It still shows that I have 1 unread mail. I have no mail in my
inbox, drafts, or anywhere else. All has been deleted and yet it still says I
have 1 unread mail. Is there somthing in tools I need to change?

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> From the Windows Start button, select All Programs. Then review the list of programs shown. Look for Outlook Express. Click it.
> It's just likely you have the 1 unread email, and it's likely to be the welcome message. Once viewed, close the program.
>
> Next time you logon, see if that pesky message is gone.
>
> What do you use to read and send email?
>
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>
> Angie wrote:
> > I am new at computers, I am afraid to download anything, isn't there
> > somthing I can do besides that?

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 1:11:29 PM

Beyond the registry tweak I suggested earlier, I'd suggest you put up with this minor nagging message.

btw, every Windows system has Outlook Express, look for yours. From the Start menu, select RUN , and type in
MSIMN <Enter-key>

Your O.E. is likely at "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe"

Also, from your All programs menu, look for & use "Set Program Access and Defaults". Set your email default to your Outlook.

HTH
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Angie wrote:
> Hi Maurice
> I am using Microsoft office outlook 2003. I did have a welcome
> message but I deleted it. It still shows that I have 1 unread mail. I
> have no mail in my inbox, drafts, or anywhere else. All has been
> deleted and yet it still says I have 1 unread mail. Is there somthing
> in tools I need to change?
>
> "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
>
>> From the Windows Start button, select All Programs. Then review the
>> list of programs shown. Look for Outlook Express. Click it. It's
>> just likely you have the 1 unread email, and it's likely to be the
>> welcome message. Once viewed, close the program.
>>
>> Next time you logon, see if that pesky message is gone.
>>
>> What do you use to read and send email?
>>
>> --
>> Maurice N
>> MVP Windows - Shell / User
>> -----
>>
>> Angie wrote:
>>> I am new at computers, I am afraid to download anything, isn't there
>>> somthing I can do besides that?
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 9:50:26 AM

I doubt that a security program would affect the Power Options's APM feature.

What is (are) the security / AV program(s) involved here?
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Angie wrote:
> Okay, I changed it to category view and went into power options,
> there were only four tabs,: power schemes, advanced, hibernate and
> ups. I talked to my computer guy and he thinks my ISP overwrote my
> security program or virus program,without removing the one I already
> had in place, so he tried to delete what they got me to install. But
> he thinks there may be hidden pieces of the program left because they
> loaded one on top of the other.? (I think that is what he said?). He
> thinks this is what is causing the issue. What are your thoughts?
> Angie
>
> "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
>
>> You'll have it in Control Panel. You may have had Classic View set,
>> rather than Category view. When you first get into Control Panel,
>> see upper left corner. See which view it's set to. Select the
>> other as needed.
>>
>> In Classic view, Power Options is right there in the list on right
>> side. --
>> Maurice N
>> MVP Windows - Shell / User
>> -----
August 11, 2005 2:41:01 PM

I could be wrong, but I have Norton and my ISP has ECare???? I don't know
what Ecare is...
Telus is my telephone company through whom I get the internet. I don't know
how to find out the actual name of their security, maybe its Ecare????

!