problem with XP SP2 rsh.exe (post KB892099 hotfix)

Hi,

My problem is some what related to KB892099. In Windows XP SP2, when I try
to run a program which accepts data from STDIN using rsh.exe; if I manually
type the input in the console, it works fine and the program accepts the
input. But if I try to send the program the input using the "<" operator, it
doesn't get the input. It worked perfectly in the Windows XP pre-sp2
versions. I tried it with the hotfixed version for KB892099 too but it
doesn't seem to help.

Before applying the hotfix, it wrote "Terminal invalid" message to the
console and after applying the hotfix, just the message is gone but the
behavior is unmodified.

Also, are we allowed to redistribute rsh.exe from XP SP1 to our customers
since the one in XP SP2 is broken?

Example for reproducing the problem:

rsh.exe myhost -l mylogin script.pl < myinput.txt

Here are the contents of script.pl and myinput.txt

<myinput.txt>
This is input line 1
This is input line 2
</myinput.txt>

<script.pl>
open (MYOUT, "results.out");
while( $line = <STDIN> ) {
print MYOUT $line
}
close MYOUT
<script.pl>

Any help in this regard would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Subhash

Just a guess, but I would suspect that the pearl is seeing some spinoff of 'Lockdown" in SP2.

Pictures do not appear as expected, or you receive an error message when you open an HTML file :
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=878461

--
Mark L. Ferguson

"Subhash Balaji" <SubhashBalaji@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My problem is some what related to KB892099. In Windows XP SP2, when I try
> to run a program which accepts data from STDIN using rsh.exe; if I manually
> type the input in the console, it works fine and the program accepts the
> input. But if I try to send the program the input using the "<" operator, it
> doesn't get the input. It worked perfectly in the Windows XP pre-sp2
> versions. I tried it with the hotfixed version for KB892099 too but it
> doesn't seem to help.
>
> Before applying the hotfix, it wrote "Terminal invalid" message to the
> console and after applying the hotfix, just the message is gone but the
> behavior is unmodified.
>
> Also, are we allowed to redistribute rsh.exe from XP SP1 to our customers
> since the one in XP SP2 is broken?
>
> Example for reproducing the problem:
>
> rsh.exe myhost -l mylogin script.pl < myinput.txt
>
> Here are the contents of script.pl and myinput.txt
>
> <myinput.txt>
> This is input line 1
> This is input line 2
> </myinput.txt>
>
> <script.pl>
> open (MYOUT, "results.out");
> while( $line = <STDIN> ) {
> print MYOUT $line
> }
> close MYOUT
> <script.pl>
>
> Any help in this regard would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Subhash

Hi Mark,

Thanks for replying. This doesn't appear to be a perl problem because
everything works fine when I copy over the rsh.exe from XP SP1 to SP2.

Also, in no way perl should come into picture here as this command should
get executed only on the remote host. rsh.exe should just treat it as a
command and try to execute it on the remote host only after establishing the
connection.

Thanks,
Subhash

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Just a guess, but I would suspect that the pearl is seeing some spinoff of 'Lockdown" in SP2.
>
> Pictures do not appear as expected, or you receive an error message when you open an HTML file :
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=878461
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
>
> "Subhash Balaji" <SubhashBalaji@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > My problem is some what related to KB892099. In Windows XP SP2, when I try
> > to run a program which accepts data from STDIN using rsh.exe; if I manually
> > type the input in the console, it works fine and the program accepts the
> > input. But if I try to send the program the input using the "<" operator, it
> > doesn't get the input. It worked perfectly in the Windows XP pre-sp2
> > versions. I tried it with the hotfixed version for KB892099 too but it
> > doesn't seem to help.
> >
> > Before applying the hotfix, it wrote "Terminal invalid" message to the
> > console and after applying the hotfix, just the message is gone but the
> > behavior is unmodified.
> >
> > Also, are we allowed to redistribute rsh.exe from XP SP1 to our customers
> > since the one in XP SP2 is broken?
> >
> > Example for reproducing the problem:
> >
> > rsh.exe myhost -l mylogin script.pl < myinput.txt
> >
> > Here are the contents of script.pl and myinput.txt
> >
> > <myinput.txt>
> > This is input line 1
> > This is input line 2
> > </myinput.txt>
> >
> > <script.pl>
> > open (MYOUT, "results.out");
> > while( $line = <STDIN> ) {
> > print MYOUT $line
> > }
> > close MYOUT
> > <script.pl>
> >
> > Any help in this regard would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Subhash

Again, I'm just throwing it out, but the Windows Script Host does indeed handle stdout and stdin. I would think there would be no
limitation on any other scripting engine.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/script56/html/wsProStdIn.asp?frame=true

--
> Hi Mark,
>
> Thanks for replying. This doesn't appear to be a perl problem because
> everything works fine when I copy over the rsh.exe from XP SP1 to SP2.
>
> Also, in no way perl should come into picture here as this command should
> get executed only on the remote host. rsh.exe should just treat it as a
> command and try to execute it on the remote host only after establishing the
> connection.
>
> Thanks,
> Subhash
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> Just a guess, but I would suspect that the pearl is seeing some spinoff of 'Lockdown" in SP2.
>>
>> Pictures do not appear as expected, or you receive an error message when you open an HTML file :
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=878461
>>
>> --
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>>
>> "Subhash Balaji" <SubhashBalaji@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > My problem is some what related to KB892099. In Windows XP SP2, when I try
>> > to run a program which accepts data from STDIN using rsh.exe; if I manually
>> > type the input in the console, it works fine and the program accepts the
>> > input. But if I try to send the program the input using the "<" operator, it
>> > doesn't get the input. It worked perfectly in the Windows XP pre-sp2
>> > versions. I tried it with the hotfixed version for KB892099 too but it
>> > doesn't seem to help.
>> >
>> > Before applying the hotfix, it wrote "Terminal invalid" message to the
>> > console and after applying the hotfix, just the message is gone but the
>> > behavior is unmodified.
>> >
>> > Also, are we allowed to redistribute rsh.exe from XP SP1 to our customers
>> > since the one in XP SP2 is broken?
>> >
>> > Example for reproducing the problem:
>> >
>> > rsh.exe myhost -l mylogin script.pl < myinput.txt
>> >
>> > Here are the contents of script.pl and myinput.txt
>> >
>> > <myinput.txt>
>> > This is input line 1
>> > This is input line 2
>> > </myinput.txt>
>> >
>> > <script.pl>
>> > open (MYOUT, "results.out");
>> > while( $line = <STDIN> ) {
>> > print MYOUT $line
>> > }
>> > close MYOUT
>> > <script.pl>
>> >
>> > Any help in this regard would be appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> > Subhash

Hi Mark,

Problem here is not with the script engine but the rsh.exe is not able to
read input from STDIN if fed using a redirection "<" operator.

BTW, Can you tell me if it is OK to redistribute rsh.exe of XP SP1 along
with our application since the one in XP SP2 and Win 2k SP4 are broken?.

Thanks in advance,
Subhash