I know this is probably the wrong place, but what's the min specs for Win XP?
I can't seem to find them quickly :)

My workplace is about to install WinXP on pc's with less than 256mb memory
:| and trying to claim that turning our resolution down to 800x600/640x480
and colours to 256/65536 is gonna help 'speed them up', theirs words not mine.

Should I start to cry now and log emails to another server? :)

Windows XP Home Edition System Requirements
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/sysreqs.mspx

Windows XP Professional System Requirements
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/sysreqs.mspx

Windows XP Professional Upgrade Center
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/default.mspx

Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade Center
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/default.mspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:DAF201D4-25E0-4611-8B4F-A9CDB0486175@microsoft.com,
Janin <Janin@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

"Janin" <Janin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I know this is probably the wrong place, but what's the min specs for Win XP?
>I can't seem to find them quickly :)
>
> My workplace is about to install WinXP on pc's with less than 256mb memory
>:| and trying to claim that turning our resolution down to 800x600/640x480
>and colours to 256/65536 is gonna help 'speed them up', theirs words not mine.
>
>Should I start to cry now and log emails to another server? :)

The stated minimum specs for Windows XP are 64 mb of RAM, but the
bozos who wrote those specs never had to suffer the consequences of
actually attempting to use Windows XP on a computer with 64 mb of RAM.

The practical minimum for any sort of decent performance is 256 mb,
and computers with less than that will invariably show a marked
improvement in overall performance with additional RAM.

640 x 480 is not a supported video resolution for Windows XP. Reducing
resolution and color depth might help somewhat on systems where the
display is constantly changing, such as animations, videos, etc.
However the visual and operational consequences of these changes will
almost certainly have an adverse effect on the usability of the
computer which will more than offset any benefits to actual machine
performance.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

johnf

Cry now.
256 MINIMUM for efficient functioning, preferably more - BTW, how large are
the HDD's

--

johnf

>I know this is probably the wrong place, but what's the min specs for
> Win XP? I can't seem to find them quickly :)
>
> My workplace is about to install WinXP on pc's with less than 256mb
> memory
>:| and trying to claim that turning our resolution down to
>:| 800x600/640x480
> and colours to 256/65536 is gonna help 'speed them up', theirs words
> not mine.
>
> Should I start to cry now and log emails to another server? :)

It appears the HDD's are 7.84gb ones, though as there are about 11 in this
place so it probably varies a touch.

I'm just praying they upgrade (read: replace) them with ones that'd work.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll be sure to pass this information to my
colleagues and warn them of imminent lack of PC access :)
and perhaps tell our techy guy that telling us to set our res to 640x480
isn't so smart.