TNT2 to MX200 a DOWNgrade?!?!

G

The MX200 is a "new" entry level card for which I can't find any "head-to-head" comparisons with other entry level cards. In particular, I've been trying to compare it to a TNT2 (non-Pro/Ultra). Looking at the "numbers" from NVIDIA's site, it almost looks like the MX200 is a DOWNgrade (except for the T&L offload) from the TNT2...

TNT2: 2.4GB/s memory bandwidth, while the MX200 has only 1.3GB/s of bandwidth.

TNT2: 250M Pixels/s, MX200: 700M Texels/s. Are those the same units???

What are the pros/cons of these two cards? Where can I find good comparisions between these two cards?

Thanks

G

I think the MX200 would be a tiny bit faster since it has t&l on it.

AMD user's always have the edge !

G

So, the less memory bandwidth (about a 50% decrease) won't more than kill any benefit T&L offload might bring?

bungee

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
Don't loose your time with MX200. For some more dollar, you get a MX or a MX400 which are way better!

:smile: <font color=red>Hail total victory of AMD versus Intel! :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
For about what an MX200 cost, you can get a Radeon LE, which blows away the entire MX series. Or, if you really want to stay with nVidia, the MX400 or the original MX is the way to go.

Video killed my Radio Card!

G

Any idea where I can find head-to-head comparisons of these low-end (but new hardware) boards?

I'd like to learn more about the LE, but the two sites I frequent don't even mention this setup.

G

I finally found a good comparison article on www.anandtech.com. Here is a quote from the conclusion of the review...

"As it turns out, the Radeon LE may be the perfect video card for the gamer looking to spend less that $100 on a card. If you are a user who does not mind taking risks, risks with both driver problems and problems hitting high overclocked speeds, than the Radeon LE is ideal for you. Plus, you can rest assured that the Radeon LE you just bought will perform at the same level or better as the comparably priced Radeon SDR, only with a lot more potential."

This article is dated 23-May-2001, are the driver "risks" mentioned above still a concern? I can't find drivers for this board (LE) on ATI's site. From whom would I get updated drivers?

G

In regards to your MX vs MX400 debate try: <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1453&p=1" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1453&p=1</A>.
It essentially says don't waste your money on the 400. A Kyro II might be an option to consider.. but the Radeons might be a good idea.

I like TFC.

G

After reading the LE article (and reading a few boards), it seems to be the LE is the "best" entry level board with T&L. The MX200 and MX400 don't even compare to its performance if any amount of over-clocking is available.

The KyroII doesn't offer T&L, so I wouldn't even consider it an option.

So, it looks like I'm going to get an LE (or if I can hold out 'till large cash infusion day (bday, bonus, tax credit, xmas, etc.), maybe I'll consider a GF2 GTS.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I did a comparison on the same system of the GTS, MX, and LE. The LE did OK in 3D-mark 2000, besting the MX. Then I ran 3D-Mark2001 at a latter time and found it to almost match the GTS in that benchmark. The Radeon cards do not suffer as much slowdown going from 16 to 32 but color as the GeForce 2 cards do.
You will definately want to enable Hyper-Z with the LE. And clock it to either the 166MHz OEM Radeon 32DDR speed, or the 183MHz Retail Radion 32DDR speed. When matched clock to clock to the OEM and Retail 32DDR cards, the performance is identicle to those cards.

Video killed my Radio Card!