16-bit program problem on cmd.

Hi,

I used to be running a 16-bit program on a Win XP SP2 via cmd without
problem. But suddenly it has begun not to run at all. I have checked
out with other programs on the XP, some run without problem and some
does not. It seems to be a problem running 16-bit programs in general.

The following program does not run and those are old programs from DOS,
so they reflect what make my program does:

debug.exe
command.com

When I run one of the program first time I start cmd.exe following
error occurs (if command.com):

The system cannot find the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\command.com.

(Even when the files in fact is there, so obviously it finds the
program by the PATH routes, but cannot execute it. I the results is the
same if I go straight to ...system32 to run the program)

When I run it again (in the same cmd) the program just hang and cannot
be interrupted without killing the cmd-process.

It seems like something is blocking for running of 16-bit programs as
other programs is running normally like calc, ftp etc.

But how can this be done suddenly, could it be a hidden virus. But I
have alread run a viruscheck (no virus found), but my spyware check
revealed some spyware, but they where removed, but the problem is still
there.

Any help will be appriciated.

Best regards
Tom
2 answers Last reply
More about program problem

    The DOS-program was only meant to be a example of why 16-bit programs
    did not run under CMD.exe

    But the problem can be connected with the recently dicovered spyware.
    As the problem of why I could not run some 16-bit programs were due to
    NTVDM.exe has disappeared from the system32 folder. After I got a copy
    back from my backup it all works again.

    /Tom

Command Prompt Windows XP