16-bit program problem on cmd.

August 5, 2005 6:52:30 AM

Hi,

I used to be running a 16-bit program on a Win XP SP2 via cmd without
problem. But suddenly it has begun not to run at all. I have checked
out with other programs on the XP, some run without problem and some
does not. It seems to be a problem running 16-bit programs in general.

The following program does not run and those are old programs from DOS,
so they reflect what make my program does:

debug.exe
command.com

When I run one of the program first time I start cmd.exe following
error occurs (if command.com):

The system cannot find the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\command.com.

(Even when the files in fact is there, so obviously it finds the
program by the PATH routes, but cannot execute it. I the results is the
same if I go straight to ...system32 to run the program)

When I run it again (in the same cmd) the program just hang and cannot
be interrupted without killing the cmd-process.

It seems like something is blocking for running of 16-bit programs as
other programs is running normally like calc, ftp etc.

But how can this be done suddenly, could it be a hidden virus. But I
have alread run a viruscheck (no virus found), but my spyware check
revealed some spyware, but they where removed, but the problem is still
there.

Any help will be appriciated.

Best regards
Tom
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 10:08:02 AM

The DOS-program was only meant to be a example of why 16-bit programs
did not run under CMD.exe

But the problem can be connected with the recently dicovered spyware.
As the problem of why I could not run some 16-bit programs were due to
NTVDM.exe has disappeared from the system32 folder. After I got a copy
back from my backup it all works again.

/Tom

Maurice N ~ MVP skrev:

> You mentioned you had a spyware infection recently. Spyware/malware can be very tricky to remove.
> Make very sure you removed all traces of the pest.
> See The Parasite Fight Quick Fix Protocol at <http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm&gt;
>
> As to your DOS programs: XP has 2 command interpreters. 1 you can get by Start menu, RUN, then CMD.
> The other ( which is more likely suited for old, old dos programs) is Command. To get that, use Start menu, select RUN, and then type in
> COMMAND
>
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I used to be running a 16-bit program on a Win XP SP2 via cmd without
> > problem. But suddenly it has begun not to run at all. I have checked
> > out with other programs on the XP, some run without problem and some
> > does not. It seems to be a problem running 16-bit programs in general.
> >
> > The following program does not run and those are old programs from
> > DOS, so they reflect what make my program does:
> >
> > debug.exe
> > command.com
> >
> > When I run one of the program first time I start cmd.exe following
> > error occurs (if command.com):
> >
> > The system cannot find the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\command.com.
> >
> > (Even when the files in fact is there, so obviously it finds the
> > program by the PATH routes, but cannot execute it. I the results is
> > the same if I go straight to ...system32 to run the program)
> >
> > When I run it again (in the same cmd) the program just hang and cannot
> > be interrupted without killing the cmd-process.
> >
> > It seems like something is blocking for running of 16-bit programs as
> > other programs is running normally like calc, ftp etc.
> >
> > But how can this be done suddenly, could it be a hidden virus. But I
> > have alread run a viruscheck (no virus found), but my spyware check
> > revealed some spyware, but they where removed, but the problem is
> > still there.
> >
> > Any help will be appriciated.
> >
> > Best regards
> > Tom