need help, geforce2

G

i recently bought a 64mb geforce2 mx 400 card, but i am having trouble with it, and i thought that maybe one of you will know how to make it work. I get pretty good fps with it, between 40 and 60 (in half-life: counterstrike). The problem is that it is jumpy, about every second it lags. my brother says it's from my processor, but i doubt that because it's a 450mhz pIII. today i tried it at 640x480 resolution (again in counterstrike) and it worked about as good as my old card, a 16mb tnt card. It should be able to be running perfect at 1024x768 resolution and higher. I downloaded the latest drivers from the nvidia website, and am completely puzzled as to why it isn't working. I've tried it in openGL, direct3D, and even software with the same results

thanks

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Did your completly remove all the drivers of your past card and remove the device from your system manager?

If it works for you then don't fix it.

G

no, how do i do that? i don't even know what the old drivers were,.

G

For one thing, I think it might be your CPU. My friend has a Radeon 64 DDR, and his CPU is a PIII 450. In counterstrike it jumps all the time and is glitchy. I put the same card into my machine, a PIII 1gig, and it works fine, about 80 fps steady. So I suggest an upgrade to a faster CPU mobo if you can afford it (it is extremely cheap now).

To get to system manager, right click on "My Computer", click on properties, then click on the hardware tab, you will see device manager.

An easier way to do this is to go into the control panel, go to add/remove hardware, and remove your card from there. Then go into add/remove software, and look for anything related to your old card, and remove it (remove the current drivers as well). Now after everything is gone, install the new device, you can do this by loading the drivers.
deez

G

its not your vid card thats the problem your chip is probably it i have a friend who has one and its not too impressive

G

First thing: make sure you've actually enabled hardware acceleration within the game. My friend played for 3 months with software rendering, LOL. One day he was over at my place and he saw my game and he was like, "What the hell? I have a faster system and my game doesn't look nearly that good!" Turns out he was using software.

Another suggestion would be to check your 'net connection. When I had lag ingame, it was usually due to fluctuating ping times. I suspect that your MX should also be getting higher fps as well. My non-OC'd 64mb GTS w/ an 866PIII can sustain ~99fps during online play.

G

deez, where can i get the cheap processor you're talking about, and how do i know if it's compatible with my motherboard?

In the control panel there is no add/remove hardware, just add new hardware.

Also, when i had my old card i updated the drivers to the same ones that are being used now, before i ever installed the new card. Would that automatically remove the older ones?

and mojo, i have enabled it, i tried openGL, direct3D, and i tried using software. all three still had the problem.

G

I'm thinking that your motherboard is probably one of those with the 100MHz frontside buses. In that case, I think 800MHz is as high as you can upgrade, which isn't worth it. In my previous post, I wasn't stating that your Proc wasn't fast enough, but I guess it could be the bottle neck, but I don't think so.

nVidia has recently been posting an automatic driver updater, I don't like it. I usually prefer to manually remove the old drivers and then do a clean install of the new ones. If you download the 6.50 Detonators from some place, the ZIP file usually has instructions on how to do that. 6.50 should be the best for the GTS, but you can also use the 12.41 drivers if you'd like, but there isn't much point since the GTS isn't a DirectX 8 video card.

And another thing. Could you please list all of the components in your system? Also, in your video properties, what does it say your default clock speed and memory speed are? I noticed that MechWarrior 4 seemed to underclock my card by default, which baffled me.

G

have u turned vsync off? my tnt2 pulls average 60fps in cs 1028x768. right click desktop -> properties -> settings -> advanced -> (your video card tab) -> addtional properties -> opengl settings -> vsync "always off"

b4 i had it on, and hl would cap my fps no higher than 42. but after turning it off, my fps goes upto 99fps, which is the limit in hl. hope it helps

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Posted by dummkompf: "and where is the system manager?"]

Hi:
To remove (old) drivers (devices) in Win98:
Go to <b>Safe Mode</b> (press Ctrl key during reboot/start-up and choose from the menu).
After loading Windows, on the Desktop (Windows screen) highlight the My Computer icon.
Press Alt key and hit Enter. You go then to Device Manager>View devices by type>Display Adapters.
Delete what is old or you don't need or delete all the adapters, restart and reinstall the newest one.

And as for
Posted by MoJoHD: “…And another thing. Could you please list all of the components in your system?”]

Dummkompf,
You can get the whole bunch of all the devices with their settings from the Device Manager.
Just click Print.
You also have an option to save into file from there.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by NickM on 07/19/01 01:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

does that work in winME as well, or just 98?

If that doesn't work I'm really not sure of all the components, since it came pre-assembled and i didn't manually select everything (and it's my mom's computer not mine), but the model number is "Dell Dimension XPS T450"

Oh and one more thing, how do you take a screen shot? I donloaded a utility to tweak all of my video cards settings, but i don't know what most of the options are, so i could take a picture of everything i have selected and you could tell me if something is wrong.

thanks for all the help and replies

today i was playing again, and it worked ok at first, but after about 10 minuites it started lagging and everything like before. could that mean it's a problem with ram or something?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dummkompf on 07/19/01 08:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

in another post someone was having problems with his geforce3 a guy told him to check his set "aperture size for the video card in the bios" could that be my problem?

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by dummkompf: " …does that work in winME as well, or just 98?….
Oh and one more thing, how do you take a screen shot?.. "]

Works on either Windows'.
Unfortunately, know nothing about your card problem, just some tips if you need:

To make a screenshot for the <b>whole screen</b>:

1- hit the [Print Screen/Sys Rg] key
2- open WordPad from Accessories (or a new document in Microsoft Word, or Corel WordPerfect)
3- Check that the cursor is on your document blank space, press the [Ctrl] key and hit the V key.
4- Now you can save your screen shot as a document, or make a printout.

To make a screenshot only for <b>one current window</b> (a small window with system message, or any program window):

1- Highlight the title bar (normally the blue horizontal upper bar) of current window
1a- Press [Alt] and at the same time hit
the [Print Screen/Sys Rg] key;
Do the same as 2 , 3 and 4.

Sorry, that’s all I can help. Alles Gute.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hahahaaha. thats funny.
reminds me of a time back in the olden days when my friend actually purchaced a 386-25 DX for $3000! Then he ran it WITHOUT the turbo button engaged so it "wouldnt overheat and thus would last longer" LOL
p.s. from memory a 386-25 without turbo ran at 8 or 12 Mhz!

"i love the smell of Overclocking in the morning!" Says my Hamster.

G

Sorry dummkompf, you mention you have a Dell, for that which i do not know if you can upgrade CPU, you might wanna try calling them, but I doubt they will give you help "instead, would you like me to tell you about the newer machines we have for purchase?"
But most likely it is your CPU. PIII 450 is just too slow for Counterstrike. I've experimented many times.
Disabling vsync might help peak and average FPS, but it won't help the occasional lags you get. BTW, what is the ping you get in the game, to check, hit TAB during play, and look. Very slow ping might be the culprit, but I still think it is CPU as my connection is pretty fast (ping always lower than 80).
deez

G

no, it's not lag from my connection. even when i get a ping of 60 it does that.

I'll try to post some screen-shots tommorow of the tweaking utility so you can see if that's a problem

ok um i got them into word files, but where on my computer are the actual pictures? I would rather upload a bunch of pictures to a website than a bunch of word documents.

So i mean, when i press alt+prtscr and it takes a screenshot, where is the screnshot saved?

G

theres maybe some programs thats on in background making lag, i play CS with my dell 333 mhz and tnt2 ultra without any problems with fps, more problems with the friggin 56k but the game is running excellent.

G

I went into safe mode to delete my old drivers, then turned of all the other programsand tried it, and it still didn't work. it work at first, but then it started to get the laggy jumpy problem worse and worse as i kept playing. Could this be an overheating problem?

Also, in the video properties there's a thing to select antialiasing mode. What is antialiasing? right now it's set to "allow applications to control the antialiasing mode", but there are also off, 2x and 4x options. Since my motherboard only supports agp 2x, should i set it to 2x or is that something completely different?

G

Anti-aliasing is a visual quality enhancer. Most people will use it for flight sims and stuff. In your case, I would definitely make sure that the option to keep it "always off" is selected. The GeForce2 core just doesn't handle AA very well.

G

my friend did the same exact thing! he was running software mode at the higest res (i think 1280x968 (LOL) i changed it to opengl (got new vcard drivers too) but his tnt2m64 (LOL!!) got the same fps..

G

today i was playing and at first it was working perfect, but after about ten minutes it started to lag and get all choppy and all that bullshit (as usual). Since it took awhile to do that i though it was probably just overheating, but then i rebooted and started playing again immediately, and it worked fine again. again after ten minutes it started getting alll scroowey, o i tried reconnecting to the server to see if it would help any, and it didn't. still just as bad. What in the world could be causing this????

G

Do you hear your HDD being accessed during the times of lag? And if you do think it is heat, why not open up the case and point a fan at it while you are playing? Also, does it lag when there is a lot of action, or just when you're standing around? Have you tried switching to different servers? Some servers just don't have enough RAM to keep up with all of the players. CS recommends 256 at least, but I say that 384 is the minimum. Can you describe the lagging too? Is it as if the computer is responding sluggishly, or does it seem like you move and then it freezes, and then you pop up elsewhere? I hate to see a fellow CS player in pain ;) Unless I'm the one killing thee. In the fall, look for players with the [UoM] tag, we're coming after ya ;)

G

It lags when i am just standing around and during the action. I know it's not the server because it always works ok at first, and takes about 10 minutes before it gets screwed up, even if there are fewer players than there were when i started. To describe the lagging, if i am watching a preson running by me he starts at the left, then pops up in the middle, then pops up on the right, then is gone. With my old tnt card it used to do basically the same thing when there was a smoke grenade. Sometimes the hdd is being accesed, but that is not the cause of the lag because it does it even when it isn't being accessed.