Constant disconnects...please help.

We've been using the Linksys BEFW11S4 router for some time with no
problems. My wife connects her laptop wirelessly, and we have two
other PC's connected via cables.

Yesterday we started getting disconnected from the Internet every few
minutes. Sometimes it actually disconnectes, then reconnects. Other
times it just stops communicating with the Internet, and we have to
disconnect and reconnect ourselves.

We thought perhaps our ISP was having issues, but here's the kicker:
one of the PC's that is connected via a cable does not disconnect at
all. I'm typing this from that PC, and it's fine. So it's not the
ISP or our Internet connection.

The other wired PC and my wife's laptop keep disconnecting.

Please help!
7 answers Last reply
More about constant disconnects please help

    What OS on each comp?

    <Mitch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > We've been using the Linksys BEFW11S4 router for some time with no
    > problems. My wife connects her laptop wirelessly, and we have two
    > other PC's connected via cables.
    >
    > Yesterday we started getting disconnected from the Internet every few
    > minutes. Sometimes it actually disconnectes, then reconnects. Other
    > times it just stops communicating with the Internet, and we have to
    > disconnect and reconnect ourselves.
    >
    > We thought perhaps our ISP was having issues, but here's the kicker:
    > one of the PC's that is connected via a cable does not disconnect at
    > all. I'm typing this from that PC, and it's fine. So it's not the
    > ISP or our Internet connection.
    >
    > The other wired PC and my wife's laptop keep disconnecting.
    >
    > Please help!

    PS The router has the latest firmware.

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 16:08:37 -0400, "John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote:

    >What OS on each comp?

    Sorry. The two desktops (which are both wired) are XP Home.
    My wife's laptop (wireless) is Win 2000.

    Also, I just noticed that on the desktop that keeps disconnecting, I
    cannot access the Linksys router's 192.168.1.1 admin pages, which I
    always could before.

    On the PC that is NOT disconnecting, I can access the router just
    fine.

    I've tried powering down/up the router.

    Do you have Windows zero-config connection management enabled? If so, if you
    are also using the connection management utility provided with the wifi
    client, you will experience periodic disconnects. If this is the case,
    disable Windows zero-config connection management.

    Since you say all this was working until just recently, Windows zero-config
    is probably not the cause (unless you recently did a restore on the Windows
    wifi clients, or changed wifi config in some way). Another possibility is
    that you now have a source of interference. Your wifi connection manager
    should have a site survey window for "available networks". These are the
    802.11 signals the client sees and recognizes as 802.11 networks. Your own
    router's SSID should appear, along with any others in the vicinity. If you
    see another router transmitting on the same channel as yours, then change
    your router's channel. Try to move at least 5 channels away. If there are no
    other routers, interference could come from things like 2.4 Ghz cordless
    phones (but only if the phone is out of the cradle, and you're actually
    using it), wireless video transmitters, very old and leaky microwave ovens
    (but only while in use), and so on.

    > On Mon, 17 May 2004 16:08:37 -0400, "John" <Me@myhome.net> wrote:
    >
    > >What OS on each comp?
    >

    > Sorry. The two desktops (which are both wired) are XP Home.
    > My wife's laptop (wireless) is Win 2000.
    >
    > Also, I just noticed that on the desktop that keeps disconnecting, I
    > cannot access the Linksys router's 192.168.1.1 admin pages, which I
    > always could before.
    >
    > On the PC that is NOT disconnecting, I can access the router just
    > fine.
    >
    > I've tried powering down/up the router.

    Seems to be a problem with the IP addresses then. Try troubleshooting
    with the IPCONFIG command (in command line interface)

    Have u checked the router's and disconnecting laptop's IP settings ?
    When it disconnects does the network icon in the systemtray show
    "disconnected" ?

    Mark

    --
    Interested in Mesh Networks ?
    check out : http://mark.cabiling.free.fr/mobilemesh/

    Mitch@hotmail.com wrote:
    > We've been using the Linksys BEFW11S4 router for some time with no
    > problems. My wife connects her laptop wirelessly, and we have two
    > other PC's connected via cables.
    >
    > Yesterday we started getting disconnected from the Internet every few
    > minutes. Sometimes it actually disconnectes, then reconnects. Other
    > times it just stops communicating with the Internet, and we have to
    > disconnect and reconnect ourselves.
    >
    > We thought perhaps our ISP was having issues, but here's the kicker:
    > one of the PC's that is connected via a cable does not disconnect at
    > all. I'm typing this from that PC, and it's fine. So it's not the
    > ISP or our Internet connection.
    >
    > The other wired PC and my wife's laptop keep disconnecting.
    >
    > Please help!

    First step in troubleshooting is to power down the modem for a few
    minutes, then reboot the router when the modem has restarted. Reboot the
    computers. Separate the router and the modem physically as much as the
    cable will allow. Linksys products are very sensitive to interference
    from other electronic devices - telephones (wired and wireless), the
    modem, etc. If the router is plugged to anything other than a wall
    outlet, move it to a wall outlet. Access the modem GUI and report the
    data. The modem is accessed on 192.168.1.0 or 192.168.0.0 usually. It
    is possible that the router is failing from the symptoms, but the signal
    at the modem should be verified also.

    Run from a command prompt on each computer:
    ipconfig[space]/all[space]>c:\iplog.txt[enter] Open C:\iplog.txt with
    notepad on each computer and report the results.

    Thanks for the replies.

    This time I turned the router off for several minutes (instead of just
    a couple seconds) as advised here.

    That seems to have done the trick. I'm relieved that's all it was,
    because I don't understand this stuff at all.

    Thanks again!
    Mitch

Internet Service Providers Connection Internet Wireless Networking