About my situation: My roommate was falsely convicted of sexual
harassment against a minor. His fiancee's mother is fighting for
custody of the girl's son (legal guardianship currently belongs to my
friend and his fiancee together), so she contacted his parole officer
and claimed there was pornography on his private computer. There wasn't
at the time, because his father didn't use it. Shortly after the PO's
visit, our house's main computer had a blowout. We transferred my
friend's computer into the living room and now his father is saving
pornographic images on it. Somehow, we can't convince him of the danger
he's creating for his son, and since he owns both machines, we can't
forbid him from downloading what he wants.

I've found a thread on this board which has link to a Microsoft page
about creating folder passwords, but it only explains a method for
NTFS. Is there any way to set a password for a FAT32 folder? Or can the
C: drive be converted to allow access to password protection?

--
AshenSparrow

One cannot password-protect a folder in Windows XP.
For a more secure method, see the following:

HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307286

How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files
and folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

AshenSparrow wrote:
> About my situation: My roommate was falsely convicted of sexual
> harassment against a minor. His fiancee's mother is fighting for
> custody of the girl's son (legal guardianship currently belongs to my
> friend and his fiancee together), so she contacted his parole officer
> and claimed there was pornography on his private computer. There
> wasn't at the time, because his father didn't use it. Shortly after
> the PO's visit, our house's main computer had a blowout. We
> transferred my friend's computer into the living room and now his
> father is saving pornographic images on it. Somehow, we can't
> convince him of the danger he's creating for his son, and since he
> owns both machines, we can't forbid him from downloading what he
> wants.
>
> I've found a thread on this board which has link to a Microsoft page
> about creating folder passwords, but it only explains a method for
> NTFS. Is there any way to set a password for a FAT32 folder? Or can
> the C: drive be converted to allow access to password protection?

FAT32 might as well equal No Security. I can boot up with a Windows 98
floppy diskette and read off anything on the C drive of that computer.

Convert the drive to NTFS.. Then you can use the features of Windows XP. If
it is Windows XP Professional - so much the better... You could even use
encryption.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881

--
Shenan Stanley