XP stops responding with a black screen while booting in s..

Xp attempts to boot and then stops with a black screen. Tried booting in safe
mode but same results. Was able to go into the bios set up and switch the
boot order to CD.

I was able to put a norton antivirus CD and boot to the CD and run a scan. I
need to consult with norton on how to scan with the latest virus definintions.

I was also able to boot to the xp cd and go to recovery but I do not have
the admin password.

What next any suggestions? Would appreciate any help that you can offer.

Unless anyone can think of another suggestion to try, I guess the only thing
left to do is to purchase an addtional hard drive and use this as a secondary
drive.
1 answer Last reply
More about stops responding black screen booting

    Leave the password box blank and prees enter
    > Xp attempts to boot and then stops with a black screen. Tried booting in
    > safe
    > mode but same results. Was able to go into the bios set up and switch the
    > boot order to CD.
    >
    > I was able to put a norton antivirus CD and boot to the CD and run a scan.
    > need to consult with norton on how to scan with the latest virus
    > definintions.
    >
    > I was also able to boot to the xp cd and go to recovery but I do not have
    > the admin password.
    >
    > What next any suggestions? Would appreciate any help that you can offer.
    >
    > Unless anyone can think of another suggestion to try, I guess the only
    > thing
    > left to do is to purchase an addtional hard drive and use this as a
    > secondary
    > drive.

Boot CD-Rom Windows XP