Help with old dos game

G

I tried installing XCom Apoc on W2K but it says I need files/buffers of 20/20. I know this is normally set in config.sys but I can't find config.sys on W2K. Is that cause there is no config.sys? If so where can I sret files/buffers?

Thanks

<b><font color=red>Facts speek for themselfs</b></font color=red>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I've done precisely the same thing. Xcomapoc=no worky with win2k. Dos4gw doesn't appreciate being cutoff from the processor.
Along that same line, there's not too many other games for ms-dos that will run under win2k, including xcom 1 and 2. If you see dos4gw in the system folder, don't even bother with it.

Under Winme and win98, Apoc works just fine. If you get studdering on the opening movie, crank your cdrom cache/preread all the way down (to 64K).

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not sure with Win2k but it might be the same as Winnt, the file is called config.nt and is located at "%SYSTEMROOT%\WINNT\SYSTEM32".

Hope that helps.

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

G

I don't know what tweaks are available if any. Since NT and Win2k are not shells on top of DOS like Win3x,Win9x,WinME are, they are Operating Systems that have no DOS. Win2k is not designed to be backward compatible with earlier OS's and shells like Win9x is.