Low Available memory

In my system information, it says my "Available Memory" is 24.10%. Isn't
that low? What can be done about that. I have been getting a Blue Screen,
Fatal Error, Memory Dump message.
I contacted Dell, and they said my Hard Drive and Memory is failing. But,
how do they really know? What do I need to do?

Thanks!
6 answers Last reply
More about memory

    "marshur" <marshur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In my system information, it says my "Available Memory" is 24.10%. Isn't
    > that low? What can be done about that. I have been getting a Blue
    Screen,
    > Fatal Error, Memory Dump message.
    > I contacted Dell, and they said my Hard Drive and Memory is failing. But,
    > how do they really know? What do I need to do?

    How much memory have you got? How big is your hard drive and what percentage
    is free space?

    512MB of Memory Hard Disk is 37.22GB with 17GB free space

    "Falcon" wrote:

    > "marshur" <marshur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > In my system information, it says my "Available Memory" is 24.10%. Isn't
    > > that low? What can be done about that. I have been getting a Blue
    > Screen,
    > > Fatal Error, Memory Dump message.
    > > I contacted Dell, and they said my Hard Drive and Memory is failing. But,
    > > how do they really know? What do I need to do?
    >
    > How much memory have you got? How big is your hard drive and what percentage
    > is free space?

    Reply at the foot of the message:

    > 512MB of Memory Hard Disk is 37.22GB with 17GB free space
    >
    > "Falcon" wrote:
    >

    > > "marshur" <marshur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > In my system information, it says my "Available Memory" is 24.10%.
    Isn't
    > > > that low? What can be done about that. I have been getting a Blue
    > > >Screen, Fatal Error, Memory Dump message.
    > > > I contacted Dell, and they said my Hard Drive and Memory is failing.
    But,
    > > > how do they really know? What do I need to do?
    > >
    > > How much memory have you got? How big is your hard drive and what
    percentage
    > > is free space?

    The amount of free space on the hard drive is fine. Run all the error
    checking and optimisation tools available by clicking 'My Computer' on the
    Desktop, right clicking the drive icon and selecting the tools tab. Run
    Error-Checking, than 'Defragmentation'. You may have to restart your
    computer to run 'Error-Checking'

    The amount of RAM is fine too. If you think the RAM you already have is
    failing, download the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool from
    http://oca.miscrosoft.com/en/windiag.asp. You'll need to put it on a floppy
    or CD-Rom, boot your computer from it, and run it for a few hours.

    If you run a lot of programs at the same time you can add more memory to
    help with the load, as long as you're comfortable with opening the PC. Just
    plug in a compatible module (details of the right type can be found in the
    manual that came with the PC) and away you go. Windows will recognise it
    automatically. You can also find compatible RAM from an online vendor such
    as www.crucial.com

    Hope this helps

    --
    Falcon:
    fide, sed cui vide. (L)

    That link: http://oca.miscrosoft.com/en/windiag.asp will not open

    > That link: http://oca.miscrosoft.com/en/windiag.asp will not open

    Unintentional spelling error, sorry:
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    --
    Falcon:
    fide, sed cui vide. (L)
    [I know that you believe that you understood what you think I wrote, but I
    am not sure you realise that what you read is not what I meant.]

    "marshur" <marshur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >In my system information, it says my "Available Memory" is 24.10%. Isn't
    >that low? What can be done about that. I have been getting a Blue Screen,
    >Fatal Error, Memory Dump message.
    >I contacted Dell, and they said my Hard Drive and Memory is failing. But,
    >how do they really know? What do I need to do?
    >
    >Thanks!

    Disregard that report. It has no real significance with respect to
    your computer's performance. By design, Windows will always attempt
    to find some use, anything whatever that might potentially be of some
    benefit, for every bit of installed memory rather than leaving the RAM
    sitting there idly going to rot. And just as soon as some better use
    comes along for some of that RAM then Windows will instantaneously
    drop the more trivial usages so as to free up whatever is now
    required.

    "Available memory" should perhaps be more accurately labeled "useless
    meory" because that is what it actually represents - memory for which
    Windows has so far been totally unable to find any use for.

    Now to the Blue Screen. There are tens of thousands (at least) of
    different possible error conditions that can result in a Blue Screen
    error message; and the vast majority of these all have different
    causes and therefore different cures. The actual content of the Blue
    Screen, including any STOP code and the 4 associated parameters as
    well as any file or module names mentioned, will identify which
    specific error condition has occurred, and with that information it
    might be possible to help you to resolve the problem. But without the
    complete *verbatim* content of the Blue Screen it is pointless to even
    begin the attempt.

    It may well be that there is a problem with your hard drive and/or
    with your RAM, but the information you have provided so far is
    insufficient to make that determination.

    See http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm for suggestions as to what sort of
    information you should include when requesting assistance with a
    problem.

    Hope this is of some assistance.

    Good luck
    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada