fax services stopping

Gurus.

I have xp sp1, I have an external modem attached to it, It has worked fine
for the past 2 years and today I can not connect./ I can go into device
manager and I can run diagnostics on my modem and it bring all the info up.so
it sees it.- The problem I am having is the following
when I want to start a prog."send fax" the process starts I can see it on
the task manager but on my desktop nothing opens if I open anyother prog.
that does not deal with modem communication it appears on the desktop but on
this case its like nothing happen, but fax is open in the process window in
tm. I rebooted the comp. with no avail,I went to services and found out that
fax service is stopping but stays there forever just doing nothing, the
option to stop or restart the service are not available.
What can I do?

Thanks and sorry to dump this on you Guys
Fernando

321639 - HOW TO Troubleshoot Common Fax Problems in Microsoft Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q321639

--
Mark L. Ferguson

"naguaramipana" <naguaramipana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Gurus.
>
> I have xp sp1, I have an external modem attached to it, It has worked fine
> for the past 2 years and today I can not connect./ I can go into device
> manager and I can run diagnostics on my modem and it bring all the info up.so
> it sees it.- The problem I am having is the following
> when I want to start a prog."send fax" the process starts I can see it on
> the task manager but on my desktop nothing opens if I open anyother prog.
> that does not deal with modem communication it appears on the desktop but on
> this case its like nothing happen, but fax is open in the process window in
> tm. I rebooted the comp. with no avail,I went to services and found out that
> fax service is stopping but stays there forever just doing nothing, the
> option to stop or restart the service are not available.
> What can I do?
>
> Thanks and sorry to dump this on you Guys
> Fernando

DSebring

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2005

Sorry Mark I do not mean to be rude but that article you are linking to as a
relevant to this issue.

It offers no usefull information regarding the "Stuck" fxssvs.exe that the
OP and I among MANY others are experiancing recently.

This issue is appearing across platform and with many different
configurations of hardware & software (as can be seen just by scanning posts
here).

Something has changed with fax services since SP2 and it's causing problems.

Thanks for trying to help as I know you are, I am just getting a little
frustrated with the "Cookie cutter" answers I see sometimes that really do
not hep anyone with anything.

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> 321639 - HOW TO Troubleshoot Common Fax Problems in Microsoft Windows XP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q321639
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
>
> "naguaramipana" <naguaramipana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Gurus.
> >
> > I have xp sp1, I have an external modem attached to it, It has worked fine
> > for the past 2 years and today I can not connect./ I can go into device
> > manager and I can run diagnostics on my modem and it bring all the info up.so
> > it sees it.- The problem I am having is the following
> > when I want to start a prog."send fax" the process starts I can see it on
> > the task manager but on my desktop nothing opens if I open anyother prog.
> > that does not deal with modem communication it appears on the desktop but on
> > this case its like nothing happen, but fax is open in the process window in
> > tm. I rebooted the comp. with no avail,I went to services and found out that
> > fax service is stopping but stays there forever just doing nothing, the
> > option to stop or restart the service are not available.
> > What can I do?
> >
> > Thanks and sorry to dump this on you Guys
> > Fernando

As the article states, your fax hardware is probably no longer compatible
with XP SP2.

I gave a cookie cutter answer to what was a vague and cookie cutter
question. I think very little of cookie cutter criticism.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for Windows Antispy
"Dsebring" <Dsebring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry Mark I do not mean to be rude but that article you are linking to as
> relevant to this issue.
>
> It offers no usefull information regarding the "Stuck" fxssvs.exe that the
> OP and I among MANY others are experiancing recently.
>
> This issue is appearing across platform and with many different
> configurations of hardware & software (as can be seen just by scanning
posts
> here).
>
> Something has changed with fax services since SP2 and it's causing
problems.

> Thanks for trying to help as I know you are, I am just getting a little
> frustrated with the "Cookie cutter" answers I see sometimes that really do
> not hep anyone with anything.
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
> > 321639 - HOW TO Troubleshoot Common Fax Problems in Microsoft Windows
XP:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q321639
> >
> > --
> > Mark L. Ferguson
> > FAQ for Windows Antispy
> >
> > "naguaramipana" <naguaramipana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> > > Gurus.
> > >
> > > I have xp sp1, I have an external modem attached to it, It has worked
fine
> > > for the past 2 years and today I can not connect./ I can go into
device
> > > manager and I can run diagnostics on my modem and it bring all the
info up.so
> > > it sees it.- The problem I am having is the following
> > > when I want to start a prog."send fax" the process starts I can see it
on
> > > the task manager but on my desktop nothing opens if I open anyother
prog.
> > > that does not deal with modem communication it appears on the desktop
but on
> > > this case its like nothing happen, but fax is open in the process
window in
> > > tm. I rebooted the comp. with no avail,I went to services and found
out that
> > > fax service is stopping but stays there forever just doing nothing,
the
> > > option to stop or restart the service are not available.
> > > What can I do?
> > >
> > > Thanks and sorry to dump this on you Guys
> > > Fernando

Ok not a cookie cutter answer.

What are you using for fax software?

When was the problem 1st noted?

How soon after SP2?

Want a quick fix?

There is never a quick and easy fix. But the problem may come from a
corruption of the fax software by SP2 or any of the many hotfixes that have
come since then. The software you are using was designed to work with the OS
you are using in the original condition. The OS has changed each time a
service pack or hotfix comes along. There is nothing wrong with these
repairs to the faults in our OS, but it can break down the 3rd party
software if the changes are radical enough. SP2 was a radical change to the
XP OS. Have you tried to get updates from your software provider? If you are
using the "built in" fax software from Microsoft, there are no updates. If
the install has gotten corrupted, try to reinstall. If using MS fax software
it is on the XP CD under folder added value. WinFax try and do a repair
install.

Or just tired of using all of them then try something different, that really
works. Try MightFax. I use it and it works well. At times I send 15 to 20
pages. I have never had a dropped page. I have SP2 and all hotfixes
installed. I have no problems. I started using MightFax because I was having
very big problems with the built in fax software on XP. I have zero problems
now. Try the 30 free trail first like I did. I put down the 20 bucks a week
later. Make sure if your scanner is not set up for multiple fax on its own,
to get the "Scan-To-Fax" add on software. (its free) No adware, no spyware,
no nag in the trial, no virus problems. I checked out the company in advance
before even going to their web site. Great software, very fair price ($20
US). Works every time. No errors, except the ones generated on the other end
when paper runs out.
http://www.rkssoftware.com MightyFax

"old" devildog
-- Semper Fi --
I Work Hard Because Millions On Welfare Depend on Me!
Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them.
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it uses up three thousand times the
hard drive space.