New Dell 9100 Desktop with BTX + Dual-Core!

I just noticed this on Dell's web site. Looks like the 8400 has droped
in price by ~$100 or more.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/brand/dimen_9100?c=us&l=en&s=gen
11 answers Last reply
More about dell 9100 desktop dual core

    "rmm" <rmm1014@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1117111604.538007.30900@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
    >I just noticed this on Dell's web site. Looks like the 8400 has droped
    > in price by ~$100 or more.
    >
    > http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/brand/dimen_9100?c=us&l=en&s=gen

    Attractive: 0, Fugly: 1

    "User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

    > "rmm" <rmm1014@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I just noticed this on Dell's web site. Looks like the 8400 has droped
    > > in price by ~$100 or more.

    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/brand/dimen_9100?c=us&l=en&s=gen

    > Attractive: 0, Fugly: 1

    No sa! Dell says it's attractive. You must have bad taste or vision...
    8-)))

    "rmm" <rmm1014@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I just noticed this on Dell's web site. Looks like the 8400 has droped
    > in price by ~$100 or more.

    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/brand/dimen_9100?c=us&l=en&s=gen

    Price shown doesn't include a dual core processor though. Another $100,$270
    or $510 for dual core. And then there is the beautiful 17" conventional
    monitor used in the base price. They'll give you a whopping $20 back to
    drop it. The 17" Ultrasharp panel is only $269 but if you want a second one
    that one costs $369. What's with THAT?! And there is "The Dimension 9100
    comes standard with 90 day ltd warranty, at-home service and 90 day tech
    support." Is that new???

    By the time you fit this system out like it should be it'll likely be around
    $2000 and not close to the $1000 base price. I think I'd wait a little
    while to see how the new dual core stuff shakes out. They don't call it the
    bleeding edge for nothing.

    Neat! I'll likely end up buying one of these, once the dust settles. I'll be
    curious how people react. Main question is whether they're as quiet as the
    old models. Dell has done a fantastic job with quiet air flow, and their
    history, plus the supposed benefit of BTX, should assure a good report for
    this model. But the new chips run hot, and I'll want to see how they worked
    out the cooling.

    This looks like the Dimension 5000 that they have been selling in the UK for
    a while now. I've supplied a few for my customers. See here:

    http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_5000?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~tab=viewstab#tabtop

    Extremely quiet, built well and easy to service. They have a hole behind
    the front panel for cooling that you can put your hand through! The US
    version seems to have a silver coloured front instead of our black one.

    "Talkin Horse" <davidrolfeN0SP&AM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Neat! I'll likely end up buying one of these, once the dust settles. I'll
    > be curious how people react. Main question is whether they're as quiet as
    > the old models. Dell has done a fantastic job with quiet air flow, and
    > their history, plus the supposed benefit of BTX, should assure a good
    > report for this model. But the new chips run hot, and I'll want to see how
    > they worked out the cooling.

    "rmm" <rmm1014@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I just noticed this on Dell's web site. Looks like the 8400 has droped
    > in price by ~$100 or more.
    >
    > http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/brand/dimen_9100?c=us&l=en&s=gen

    7 USB ports vs 8 on the 8400?

    "snert" <snert@bowwow.com> wrote in message news:MFwle.13406$eR.10619@fe05.lga...

    > "User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

    >> Attractive: 0, Fugly: 1
    >
    > No sa! Dell says it's attractive. You must have bad taste or vision...
    > 8-)))

    Both actually :-) Not to mention a couple of small critters which,
    from the looks of it, would be up in that case in no time.

    It is not the same as the Dimension 5000 they sell here in europe,
    because that one is 16,3 inch high whereas the height of the Dimension
    9100 is stated as 17,5 inch

    Jonathan Eales wrote:
    > This looks like the Dimension 5000 that they have been selling in
    the
    > UK for a while now. I've supplied a few for my customers. See here:

    http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_5000?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~tab=viewstab#tabtop

    > Extremely quiet, built well and easy to service. They have a hole
    > behind the front panel for cooling that you can put your hand
    > through! The US version seems to have a silver coloured front
    > instead of our black one.
    >

    > "Talkin Horse" <davidrolfeN0SP&AM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> Neat! I'll likely end up buying one of these, once the dust
    settles.
    >> I'll be curious how people react. Main question is whether they're
    >> as quiet as the old models. Dell has done a fantastic job with
    quiet
    >> air flow, and their history, plus the supposed benefit of BTX,
    >> should assure a good report for this model. But the new chips run
    >> hot, and I'll want to see how they worked out the cooling.

    Is it possible to import and use a European Dell? I am guessing your
    electrical systems are set to different specs than those in America. I do
    not understand all there is to know about electricity, but what I ask is
    would I burn the machine up by putting an American Dell power supply in it?
    It would most likely not be wrth all of the effort of importing, but I ask
    out of curiosity.

    Joe

    "wederik" <wederik@NOSPAMchello.nl> wrote in message
    > It is not the same as the Dimension 5000 they sell here in europe,
    > because that one is 16,3 inch high whereas the height of the Dimension
    > 9100 is stated as 17,5 inch
    >
    > Jonathan Eales wrote:
    >> This looks like the Dimension 5000 that they have been selling in
    > the
    >> UK for a while now. I've supplied a few for my customers. See here:
    >>

    > http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_5000?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~tab=viewstab#tabtop
    >>
    >> Extremely quiet, built well and easy to service. They have a hole
    >> behind the front panel for cooling that you can put your hand
    >> through! The US version seems to have a silver coloured front
    >> instead of our black one.
    >>

    >> "Talkin Horse" <davidrolfeN0SP&AM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>> Neat! I'll likely end up buying one of these, once the dust
    > settles.
    >>> I'll be curious how people react. Main question is whether they're
    >>> as quiet as the old models. Dell has done a fantastic job with
    > quiet
    >>> air flow, and their history, plus the supposed benefit of BTX,
    >>> should assure a good report for this model. But the new chips run
    >>> hot, and I'll want to see how they worked out the cooling.

    I hardly have any technical knowledge but I guess it is possible with
    some kind of a transformer to change the 220-240 Volt that is used in
    Europe into a different mains voltage that you use. After all
    travellers use their shavers om both continents
    However, the main question is : why should you ? Computers are
    certainly is not cheaper than in the US, it will be a lot of trouble
    to import and not least, Dells imperfect service will fail completely
    in case of such an eccentric machine ...
    greetings,
    wederik

    Joseph Bradford wrote:
    > Is it possible to import and use a European Dell? I am guessing
    your
    > electrical systems are set to different specs than those in America.
    > I do not understand all there is to know about electricity, but what
    > I ask is would I burn the machine up by putting an American Dell
    > power supply in it? It would most likely not be wrth all of the
    > effort of importing, but I ask out of curiosity.
    >
    > Joe
    >

    > "wederik" <wederik@NOSPAMchello.nl> wrote in message
    >> It is not the same as the Dimension 5000 they sell here in europe,
    >> because that one is 16,3 inch high whereas the height of the
    >> Dimension 9100 is stated as 17,5 inch
    >>
    >> Jonathan Eales wrote:
    >>> This looks like the Dimension 5000 that they have been selling in
    >> the
    >>> UK for a while now. I've supplied a few for my customers. See
    here:

    http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_5000?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~tab=viewstab#tabtop

    >>> Extremely quiet, built well and easy to service. They have a hole
    >>> behind the front panel for cooling that you can put your hand
    >>> through! The US version seems to have a silver coloured front
    >>> instead of our black one.
    >>>

    >>> "Talkin Horse" <davidrolfeN0SP&AM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> settles.
    >> quiet

    To buy a "Dimension 5000" in the US, you need to buy an Optiplex GX280
    in the MT chassis. It appears to be the same system. Likewise, the new
    Dimension 9100 (which won't be available until the end of June) appears
    to be the same chassis as the recently announced Precision Workstation
    380 (currently backordered until the end of June). In either case you
    would be paying more but would have a 3 year warranty with US-based tech
    support.

    wederik wrote:
    > It is not the same as the Dimension 5000 they sell here in europe,
    > because that one is 16,3 inch high whereas the height of the Dimension
    > 9100 is stated as 17,5 inch
    >
    > Jonathan Eales wrote:
    >
    >>This looks like the Dimension 5000 that they have been selling in
    >
    > the
    >
    >>UK for a while now. I've supplied a few for my customers. See here:
    >>

    > http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_5000?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~tab=viewstab#tabtop
    >
    >>Extremely quiet, built well and easy to service. They have a hole
    >>behind the front panel for cooling that you can put your hand
    >>through! The US version seems to have a silver coloured front
    >>instead of our black one.
    >>

    >>"Talkin Horse" <davidrolfeN0SP&AM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Neat! I'll likely end up buying one of these, once the dust
    >
    > settles.
    >
    >>>I'll be curious how people react. Main question is whether they're
    >>>as quiet as the old models. Dell has done a fantastic job with
    >
    > quiet
    >
    >>>air flow, and their history, plus the supposed benefit of BTX,
    >>>should assure a good report for this model. But the new chips run
    >>>hot, and I'll want to see how they worked out the cooling.

Dell Desktops Dual Core Computers