dont want to format my C drive...

hi, a few years back i had called microsoft and they helped me rename files,
which involved moving files and renaming INSTEAD of formatting the c drive.

does anyone know the procedure, it is quite lengthy?

i got a trojan and now i can't reboot in safe mood, had ms antispyware but
that clean up the problem but the trojan would return again, tried to run
live update by norton, trojan wouldn't let me do that either...so i need to
reformat the c drive or prefer to rename files or whatever it's called.

thanks in advance...
HAD IT!!

Hi

You try a 'Repair' install XP. Please have a look at the following article
by Michael Stevens:

"How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"lmn1220" <lmn1220@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi, a few years back i had called microsoft and they helped me rename
> files,
> which involved moving files and renaming INSTEAD of formatting the c
> drive.
>
> does anyone know the procedure, it is quite lengthy?
>
> i got a trojan and now i can't reboot in safe mood, had ms antispyware but
> that clean up the problem but the trojan would return again, tried to run
> live update by norton, trojan wouldn't let me do that either...so i need
> reformat the c drive or prefer to rename files or whatever it's called.
>
> thanks in advance...
> HAD IT!!

Hi Will,

will that take care of the problem. i believe i did that awhile ago and it
tends to freeze the computer.

thanks...

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> You try a 'Repair' install XP. Please have a look at the following article
> by Michael Stevens:
>
> "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "lmn1220" <lmn1220@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hi, a few years back i had called microsoft and they helped me rename
> > files,
> > which involved moving files and renaming INSTEAD of formatting the c
> > drive.
> >
> > does anyone know the procedure, it is quite lengthy?
> >
> > i got a trojan and now i can't reboot in safe mood, had ms antispyware but
> > that clean up the problem but the trojan would return again, tried to run
> > live update by norton, trojan wouldn't let me do that either...so i need
> > reformat the c drive or prefer to rename files or whatever it's called.
> >
> > thanks in advance...
> > HAD IT!!

Is it perhaps called an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP ???

i can't remember what the tech told me it was called. maybe that was with
windows 98, i don't remember...

"lmn1220" wrote:

> Hi Will,
>
> will that take care of the problem. i believe i did that awhile ago and it
> tends to freeze the computer.
>
> thanks...
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > You try a 'Repair' install XP. Please have a look at the following article
> > by Michael Stevens:
> >
> > "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
> > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
> >
> > --
> >
> > Will Denny
> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> > Please reply to the News Groups
> >

> > "lmn1220" <lmn1220@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > hi, a few years back i had called microsoft and they helped me rename
> > > files,
> > > which involved moving files and renaming INSTEAD of formatting the c
> > > drive.
> > >
> > > does anyone know the procedure, it is quite lengthy?
> > >
> > > i got a trojan and now i can't reboot in safe mood, had ms antispyware but
> > > that clean up the problem but the trojan would return again, tried to run
> > > live update by norton, trojan wouldn't let me do that either...so i need
> > > reformat the c drive or prefer to rename files or whatever it's called.
> > >
> > > thanks in advance...
> > > HAD IT!!

No, an In-Place Upgrade will not get rid of the virus. You have to clean
your system first then do the In-Place Upgrade.

> Hi Will,
>
> will that take care of the problem. i believe i did that awhile ago and
> it
> tends to freeze the computer.
>
> thanks...
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> You try a 'Repair' install XP. Please have a look at the following
>> article
>> by Michael Stevens:
>>
>> "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
>> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "lmn1220" <lmn1220@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > hi, a few years back i had called microsoft and they helped me rename
>> > files,
>> > which involved moving files and renaming INSTEAD of formatting the c
>> > drive.
>> >
>> > does anyone know the procedure, it is quite lengthy?
>> >
>> > i got a trojan and now i can't reboot in safe mood, had ms antispyware
>> > but
>> > that clean up the problem but the trojan would return again, tried to
>> > run
>> > live update by norton, trojan wouldn't let me do that either...so i
>> > need
>> > reformat the c drive or prefer to rename files or whatever it's called.
>> >
>> > thanks in advance...
>> > HAD IT!!

this is my problem...i had ms antispyware and i forgot i had removed virus
protection from the computer, because the subscription ran out, or something
i forgot the reason,i tried to put in norton's 2005. it was fine till i
tried to run live update. i also had antispyware running. like i said before
it would find the problems but they would come back in a blink. i couldn't
get nortons to work, if i did it would probably be able to clean up this
trojan. i believe the trojan is trojan.downloader.kavsav, something like
that.

i can't get a virus scan to work, either online or via my computer. i can't
get an update to norton, i'm stuck...i tried restoring the system back from
february, thought i would be slick, nope didn't work and right after that
couldn't reboot from safe mode...

any other suggestions...besides formatting c drive?????

thanks...

ps. that's why i thought by running the repair i wouldn't have to go through
this...if i could get the virus program to work i wouldn't have this
problem...

"pcbutts1" wrote:

> No, an In-Place Upgrade will not get rid of the virus. You have to clean
> your system first then do the In-Place Upgrade.

> "lmn1220" <lmn1220@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Will,
> >
> > will that take care of the problem. i believe i did that awhile ago and
> > it
> > tends to freeze the computer.
> >
> > thanks...
> >
> > "Will Denny" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> You try a 'Repair' install XP. Please have a look at the following
> >> article
> >> by Michael Stevens:
> >>
> >> "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
> >> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Will Denny
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >> Please reply to the News Groups
> >>

> >> "lmn1220" <lmn1220@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

dl

You might want to try an online scan at www.symantec.com first
If you have any restore points delete them

> Is it perhaps called an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP
???

> i can't remember what the tech told me it was called. maybe that was with
> windows 98, i don't remember...
>

> "lmn1220" wrote:
>
> > Hi Will,
> >
> > will that take care of the problem. i believe i did that awhile ago and
it
> > tends to freeze the computer.
> >
> > thanks...
> >
> > "Will Denny" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > You try a 'Repair' install XP. Please have a look at the following
article
> > > by Michael Stevens:
> > >
> > > "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
> > > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Will Denny
> > > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> > > Please reply to the News Groups
> > >

> > > "lmn1220" <lmn1220@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi

Have you tried an online virus scan with Panda:

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

--

> this is my problem...i had ms antispyware and i forgot i had removed virus
> protection from the computer, because the subscription ran out, or
> something
> i forgot the reason,i tried to put in norton's 2005. it was fine till i
> tried to run live update. i also had antispyware running. like i said
> before
> it would find the problems but they would come back in a blink. i
> couldn't
> get nortons to work, if i did it would probably be able to clean up this
> trojan. i believe the trojan is trojan.downloader.kavsav, something like
> that.
>
> i can't get a virus scan to work, either online or via my computer. i
> can't
> get an update to norton, i'm stuck...i tried restoring the system back
> from
> february, thought i would be slick, nope didn't work and right after that
> couldn't reboot from safe mode...
>
> any other suggestions...besides formatting c drive?????
>
> thanks...
>
> ps. that's why i thought by running the repair i wouldn't have to go
> through
> this...if i could get the virus program to work i wouldn't have this
> problem...
>
> "pcbutts1" wrote:
>
>> No, an In-Place Upgrade will not get rid of the virus. You have to clean
>> your system first then do the In-Place Upgrade.
>>

>> --

>> "lmn1220" <lmn1220@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Will,
>> >
>> > will that take care of the problem. i believe i did that awhile ago
>> > and
>> > it
>> > tends to freeze the computer.
>> >
>> > thanks...

Hi Will,

it is very difficult to get online now because of the popups. i will try
that panda. what is panda by the way?

pcbutt,

thanks i will try all this...you guys have been extremely helpful...many
thanks...

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Have you tried an online virus scan with Panda:
>
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "lmn1220" <lmn1220@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > this is my problem...i had ms antispyware and i forgot i had removed virus
> > protection from the computer, because the subscription ran out, or
> > something
> > i forgot the reason,i tried to put in norton's 2005. it was fine till i
> > tried to run live update. i also had antispyware running. like i said
> > before
> > it would find the problems but they would come back in a blink. i
> > couldn't
> > get nortons to work, if i did it would probably be able to clean up this
> > trojan. i believe the trojan is trojan.downloader.kavsav, something like
> > that.
> >
> > i can't get a virus scan to work, either online or via my computer. i
> > can't
> > get an update to norton, i'm stuck...i tried restoring the system back
> > from
> > february, thought i would be slick, nope didn't work and right after that
> > couldn't reboot from safe mode...
> >
> > any other suggestions...besides formatting c drive?????
> >
> > thanks...
> >
> > ps. that's why i thought by running the repair i wouldn't have to go
> > through
> > this...if i could get the virus program to work i wouldn't have this
> > problem...
> >
> > "pcbutts1" wrote:
> >
> >> No, an In-Place Upgrade will not get rid of the virus. You have to clean
> >> your system first then do the In-Place Upgrade.
> >>

> >> --
> >>

> >> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
> >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
> >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
> >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
> >>

> >> "lmn1220" <lmn1220@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi

Panda is an anti-virus program. Have you checked for spyware on your
system:

Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.or­g/
CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloa­ds/cwshredder.zip
Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com

Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:

http://www.javacoolsoftware.co­m/spywareblaster.html

Also see the following links:

http://aumha.org/a/parasite.ht­m
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/un­wanted.htm

You may be able to rid your sytem of the pop-ups.

--

> Hi Will,
>
> it is very difficult to get online now because of the popups. i will try
> that panda. what is panda by the way?
>
> pcbutt,
>
> thanks i will try all this...you guys have been extremely helpful...many
> thanks...
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Have you tried an online virus scan with Panda:
>>
>> http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "lmn1220" <lmn1220@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > this is my problem...i had ms antispyware and i forgot i had removed
>> > virus
>> > protection from the computer, because the subscription ran out, or
>> > something
>> > i forgot the reason,i tried to put in norton's 2005. it was fine till
>> > tried to run live update. i also had antispyware running. like i said
>> > before
>> > it would find the problems but they would come back in a blink. i
>> > couldn't
>> > get nortons to work, if i did it would probably be able to clean up
>> > this
>> > trojan. i believe the trojan is trojan.downloader.kavsav, something
>> > like
>> > that.
>> >
>> > i can't get a virus scan to work, either online or via my computer. i
>> > can't
>> > get an update to norton, i'm stuck...i tried restoring the system back
>> > from
>> > february, thought i would be slick, nope didn't work and right after
>> > that
>> > couldn't reboot from safe mode...
>> >
>> > any other suggestions...besides formatting c drive?????
>> >
>> > thanks...
>> >
>> > ps. that's why i thought by running the repair i wouldn't have to go
>> > through
>> > this...if i could get the virus program to work i wouldn't have this
>> > problem...

yes, had tons of spyware. ran MS antispyware, it found them all but they
kept returning.

actually i gave up on the computer, it is an older one and i was just trying
to hold on from buying another one. it's time to get a new one. thanks for
your help