Computer hangs in standby mode overnight

My Inspiron 6000 would freeze after being put in standby mode overnight and I
would have to force shutdown. Soemone on this forum advised me to check the
Power Options in Control Panel. How should I set it up so the system won't
hang after overnight standby? My current settings: With AC adapter plugged in:
Turn off monitor: Never
Turn off hard disk: Never
System standby: Never
System hibernates: Never
Thanks for any advice.
2 answers Last reply
More about computer hangs standby mode overnight

    There is not really much you can do. The BIOS must be compatible with the ACPI standard of XP to use standby effectively. Some BIOS
    upgrade, made available from the maker of the system or BIOS, would be the only cure.

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "tns75" <tns75@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8BD87CAC-ADA3-4E17-B055-0CBD81999766@microsoft.com...
    > My Inspiron 6000 would freeze after being put in standby mode overnight and I
    > would have to force shutdown. Soemone on this forum advised me to check the
    > Power Options in Control Panel. How should I set it up so the system won't
    > hang after overnight standby? My current settings: With AC adapter plugged in:
    > Turn off monitor: Never
    > Turn off hard disk: Never
    > System standby: Never
    > System hibernates: Never
    > Thanks for any advice.

    Just Had the same problem surface on my Hp after replacing the hard
    drive and reinstalling the operating system. When I woke up today
    after going to bed with the PC quietly in standby, the computer was
    on full power, but no disk activity. although (I think) the monitor
    was off (but I'm not sure). Once I had a screen I had a cursor with
    an hourglass. Tried to find out what program might be causing the
    problem. When I tried opening the control panel it did open after a
    couple minutes. But I was never able to get the task manager to come
    up at all.

    But...prior to the new hard drive, standby had disappeared from the
    shutdown menu about 9 months ago (and could not be brought back trying
    any # of suggestions found here and elsewhere. But before that never
    had a problem with hanging in standby...ever. I changed nothing in
    the BIOS.

    Could it be a device waking the PC out of standby, and causing a hang?

    TIA

    On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 05:53:36 -0500, "Mark L. Ferguson"
    <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >There is not really much you can do. The BIOS must be compatible with the ACPI standard of XP to use standby effectively. Some BIOS
    >upgrade, made available from the maker of the system or BIOS, would be the only cure.

Windows XP