XP Hidden/Invisible files

August 5, 2005 8:22:49 PM

Hi all,
I found this site while I was surfing around and it looks great!!
Hopefully one of the geniuses here should be able to help me out. :D

I have an 80gb HD, when I select all the files from the root in
explorer and
check properties on them I get 12gb worth of files, but when I do a
properties check on the drive it shows 60gb worth of Used Space. I've
emptied my recycle bin, and in Folder Options, I have selected Show
Hidden Files, and Show System Files. I also just did a backup using
Ghost, during the backup process, it showed me a bunch of old ghost
files with a .ghs extension in a non-existant directory being backed
up. Those files don't show in explorer and when I do a search for
them, nothing comes up. I also checked my backup image using Ghost
explorer and it couldn't find any of the files. I've got about 40gb of
unusable disk, does any one have any ideas about this?

Thanks in advance,

SteveF

--
SteveF

More about : hidden invisible files

August 6, 2005 1:50:40 AM

SteveF said ...

> Hi all,
> I found this site while I was surfing around and it looks great!!
> Hopefully one of the geniuses here should be able to help me out. :D
>

> I have an 80gb HD, when I select all the files from the root in
> explorer and
> check properties on them I get 12gb worth of files, but when I do a
> properties check on the drive it shows 60gb worth of Used Space. I've
> emptied my recycle bin, and in Folder Options, I have selected Show
> Hidden Files, and Show System Files. I also just did a backup using
> Ghost, during the backup process, it showed me a bunch of old ghost
> files with a .ghs extension in a non-existant directory being backed
> up. Those files don't show in explorer and when I do a search for
> them, nothing comes up. I also checked my backup image using Ghost
> explorer and it couldn't find any of the files. I've got about 40gb of
> unusable disk, does any one have any ideas about this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> SteveF
>

> --
> SteveF

This sounds like the pobem I have had. I found that 1/2 - 1 GB of disk
space extra was getting used up each time I re-booted. I disabled
system restore and all the space came back. The trouble is, if I switch
system restore back on again, the same thing starts to happen - I don't
know how to prevent that. I've a sneaking suspicion that this has
occurred since perhaps a receny windows update????? No-one on this NG
or any other has been able to tell me how to resolve this. Is it a
virus I wonder? But then it doesn't seem to do anythig if system
restore is switched off.
--
Sam
!